Is fluoxetine the cause of my fibromyalgia

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is fluoxetine the cause of my fibromyalgia

Postby Happy LT 75 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a couple of months ago, however I have been on and off fluoxetine for the past 6 years. I have also suffered with flare ups for the same amount of time.

I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hip and knees, so always thought these flares ups were related to some sort of arthritis. What I would like to know if anyone is on fluoxetine and feel like they suffer more when taking it.

I really do feel that there is a pattern with my fibromyalgia and it seems worse and I get the worse flare ups when on fluoxetine. I stopped taking it about a month ago and I do seem to be better in the mornings (my worse time.) I was also getting shaking during the night and would wake up and not be able to grip my hand tight into a fist, this seems to have stop too since I stoped taking fluoxetine!

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. :-)
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into smaller paragraphs for easier reading.
Happy LT 75
UKFM Newbie

Re: Is fluoxetine the cause of my fibromyalgia

Postby rich44 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:40 pm

Could be a reaction any drug can do strange things to us.

If you need the Prozac as an antidepressant then perhaps your Dr could get something else to try there's enough out there
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:07 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: and :welcome: to our little FibroFamily.
I've moved you over into here with this being your intro post, and I've split your post into some smaller paragraphs for easier reading. Quite a few of us on here struggle when reading larger blocks of txt, so splitting them into smaller paragraphs helps us get all the way thru what someone is saying.

It's not really possible to say if Fluoxetine could be the cause of FM for you as, unfortunately, the definitive cause of FM has yet to be discovered. There are many ideas as to what gives rise to the condition, incl trauma from physical and/or emotional events, illnesses, so it is quite possible that reactions to medications could be one of the triggers, but much, much more research is needed into all these theories to determine the answer to this, and many other questions relating to FM.

Have you spoken to your GP about what you have noticed happening to your symptoms and problems when on Fluoxetine??? If not, then it might be something worth considering doing. There are a number of anti~depressants used in the management of FM, as well as depression which can tag along for the ride for some of us. As Rich has said, what you experience when taking Fluoxetine could be due to a reaction to it, or a potential interaction with other meds/treatments you may also be taking, so changing to a different one could mean that these problems are no longer experienced, or at the very least, reduced in intensity.

Now you've found us, have a bit of a looky around the place. The boards are full of all sorts of info and advice, so there might be something in amongst it all that could be useful to you. Anything you want to know about, then just ask and we'll try and help you with it :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Happy LT 75 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:03 am

Thank you :-)
Happy LT 75
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:19 am

Hi and :welcome: to the forum
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello