Hey, new to this site!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hey, new to this site!

Postby happygolucky_xx » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:16 am

Hey everyone. I'm Dee, I'm 23 from Cornwall in the UK. I have just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, depression/anxiety and IBS.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it. Some days I feel okay, enough to do some housework, or a few things around the house. Other days I'm too exhausted to do anything at all. I have a little boy called Tyler. Hes 2 years old. I parent him singlehandenly. Although I have a boyfriend, he is not Tylers dad.

I have struggled with depression for a while due to being mentally and verbally abused by Tylers dad, who I was with for 5 and half years.
All my symptoms started about 6+ months ago, I starts having terrible cramps in my stomach, I was signed off work while they investigated this. I even had keyhole surgery to see if it could have been endometriosis. I developed very bad back pain that wouldn't ease off, it was like a constant dull ache, all over my back, lower back, shoulders etc. I had blood tests done and put on. various medications but everything came back normal and was fine. I was still getting these symptoms.

I was absolutely exhausted and my sleep was getting disrupted. I even had to change doctors because no one was taking me seriously. My new doctor did more tests and in the end came to the conclusion of fibro, depression/anxiety and IBS as I have all of the symptoms. I find it hard to walk far as my hips and legs hurt so much. I'm currently in physiotherapy to help try and ease some exercising into my days and also having an injection in the top of my leg to hopefully ease the pain I've been having there and I'm on three different meds at the moment too.

My fibro plays up when I'm stressed out or when it's cold - and for anybody that lives in Cornwall yourll know how cold it can be! I am also in the process of losing my job because I've been off for so long and they are not happy at all even though I have been deemed unfit to work by the doctors and also by my works occupational health advisor. I've got a lot of stress going on and it doesn't help how I feel.

I dont know how to get my head around having this for possibly the rest of my life as well as having to take medications etc. My boyfriend doesn't know how to deal wit and is in denial thinking it will get better in time and I'll be fine.
Tell me I'm not alone in feeling scared and not sure how to feel about it all?

How did you guys come to terms with it?

Sorry it's a long post.
I'm really hoping I can make some friends on here that I can talk too about this. No one seems to understand and they think I'm making it all up. It's so frustrating

Thanks.
Dee ❤
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
happygolucky_xx
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hey, new to this site!

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:48 am

:welcome: to our little FibroFamily Dee :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

How you're feeling at the moment is fairly typical after you've been told you have FM. Your world has been turned downside~up, whirled around, and you have been left, dumped on your head, to try and figure things out. At the moment the best thing you can do is take each day as it comes, or parts of the day as it comes if needed. You need to allow yourself some time to let things start to settle, and hopefully then, they will start to make a little more sense.

Wrt to your boyfriend not knowing how to deal with your dx, you could try getting him to have a looky at One To Show The Non Believers and/or The Spoon Theory. Both explain what life can be like when living with a chronic illness and many peoples have said that they have helped their loved ones understand more about the problems we juggle with on a daily basis. He will also need some time to get used to your dx, so if you can, include him as much as you possibly can with things like going to appts {having someone with you when you see a doc, as well as being moral support, can help if you find you're getting a bit tongue~tied or forgetting things that you wanted to raise, as they can act as a prompt or reminder too} telling him how things have been thru the day, incl the bad, the ugly, and the downright :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: along with the good. And anything else that you feel might help. As well as supporting you, it can also help with his understanding a little more about your condition.

It sounds like you've got a decent GP looking after you, which is what you need, esp when one of those periods jumps up on you and you seem to find yourself spending more time at the surgery than at home :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Physio can be of help to some, as can the injections. And when it comes to meds, it's not unusual to find yourself on a varied cocktail of things to try and help with the numerous symptoms that are experienced.

At the moment things probably seem rather bleak, even overwhelming at times, but as you find out more about FM in general, about how it affects you personally, and what your capabilities and limits are with it in the mix, things do become somewhat lighter and brighter.

Have a bot of a read at some of the stuff on the boards, they are crammed with all sorts of info and advice, so there's a good chance there could be something helpful to you in amongst it all. And anything you want to know about, just ask. If you're looking for something specific, the Search box in the top right corner of each page is a good way to see what there is on the subject. As well as all the recent posts and topics, it dares to dip down right into the deepest, darkest recesses of the old stuff and have a looky at what there is.

Your FibroQuest will be quite a long and bumpy ride, but with you joining us, we'll do all we can to help you thru it. We may not always have the answer to things, but there is always plenty of [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate]
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Re: Hey, new to this site!

Postby Helhit » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi Dee

I started with fibro at the beginning of the year, brought on by continual stress and I find that now the slightest little bit of stress sends me stupid. All the pains come on , I'm knackered and can't think straight. I get to the point when words won't come out.

Having said that, I have almost come to terms with what I've got. I think having family, friends and work believing me helps, as you are not constantly having to explain or justify how you are feeling all the time.

I have had problems with work at first, but they now understand more of what I'm going through and want to help. I've been off work 5 months now and will be hoping to try a phased return soon.

Looking back on my own posts here, I can see the journey from disbelief, through denial, grief, anger and finally to some kind of acceptance. You too will get there.

I found Cognitive behavioural therapy to be a great help. You can get it on NHS, but I was lucky enough to get 5 sessions through my work. It's all about staying in the moment and not feeling sad about the person you used to be nor what's going to happen in the future.

The only other advice I can give is pace yourself and be glad at what you've managed to do. I wanted to clean the inside of my caravan today - well I've wiped the door and a couple of cupboards and then had two hours sleep to recover. I've told myself "well done you, cos that door looks brill now" not "OMG why can't you do the whole lot and then Hoover it and ....."

I'm trying to ban what ifs, if only and I should from my life :swear1: :swear1:

Ps everyone on here are very friendly and helpful and wish you well

Helen
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello