[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Newly Diagnosed

Newly Diagnosed

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newly Diagnosed

Postby Jonno » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Hello all,

I have just recently been diagnosed with FM from my GP after years of putting up with various symptoms. I also suffer from IBS, Proctalgia Fugax and ridiculous heartburn!

I have managed my symptoms over the years, but in the last few months they have got the better of me. My GP has said that I am clinically depressed, which took me by surprise. He has put me on some anti-depressants Sertraline, but I didn't like the side effects and I am now on Venlafaxine and have my fingers crossed.

I am going to go on a CBT course, but I do have my doubts. How good is CBT? To be fair, I'll give anything a go if it helps. Whilst I am getting my head around this, I am relieved (to some extent that my ailments (fatigue, pain, headaches etc) has finally been recognised and put under one umbrella.

I think joining this board will help. Take care everyone

J
Jonno
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newly Diagnosed

Postby rich44 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi Jonno

Are you depressed? If not don't let a Dr talk you into taking anti-depressants.

I've not had CBT but I imagine it's very good at helping you come to terms with having fibromyalgia and dealing with it day to day BUT as it is not a psychological illness I don't see how it can help with "curing" anything other than physical things like smoking etc.

Don't quote me on that it's just my understanding of these things.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:21 pm

Welcome to the forum x I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis last year then fibro this year when my symptoms went through the roof. Thought it was arthritis related but it was fm. Life is like a rollercoaster for me. I alternate between fatigue and pain. I'm on Amitriptyline to help with pain and sleep. Been put on gabapentin today to take with the ami. I don't take many painkillers like I used to. Only as and when. I tend to manage by balancing movement with rest periods.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Jonno » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi Rich,

That is just it, I don't feel depressed, but my GP says that it is in my sub-conscious.

It makes no sense at the moment :crazy:

J
Jonno
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jonno » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi Theresa,

It appears that it is trial and error and seeing what meds work best? I hope you find the best med for you soon :fingerscrossed:

J
Jonno
UKFM Newbie

Postby rich44 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:47 pm

rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:11 pm

My hubby has been on antidepressants for depression and each visit to the dr meant he had to fill put a questionnaire as well as say how he was feeling. I've done the same questionnaire after I had my kids as some mums like myself get postnatal depression. Did you fill in any form/questionnaire? I don't think the dr should diagnose depression from nothing like that.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Depression goes hand in hand with any chronic pain condition, as being constantly in pain leads o feelings of depression so I wouldn't write off your GP if you have previously had a good relationship with them.

CBT doesnt claim to 'cure' it helps you to find new ways of thinking and gives you tools to help you deal with issues whatever they may be. It doesnt help everyone but it doesnt hurt to try it as you may be one of those it will help

Anyway :welcome: to the forum and I hope we can help offer support too
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby rich44 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:44 pm

It can go hand in hand with pain but it doesn't have to I've had this for more than 10 years and ive been depressed since December last year.

And I've been told by more than one medical profession that you can be cured by CBT, they're usually the Dr's that believe fibromyalgia is all in the mind, fortunately there are less of them about now but they still exist.

The op himself said he doesn't feel depressed ergo the diagnosis is incorrect surely? As for saying your subconscious is depressed that's just well very strange.

I don't think getting a second opinion would be an over reaction especially given that once you go down the route of drugs like antidepressants it can for some people be very difficult to ever get off of them. It does scare me how quick Dr's are to hand out things like SSRI's, SNRIs etc compared to other drugs.

All I can say if it were me and a Dr said you are depressed here's a script and I thought I don't feel depressed I'd get a second opinion.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:55 pm

I swore down to my doc that I wasnt depressed but it turns out I was, we dont all instantly recognise the symptoms. So if the OP has had a good relationship with his doc then it seems a little extreme to change docs over one conversation. Getting a second opinion is a different matter, you dont need to change docs to request that.

I have had CBT the person administering the therapy never once claimed she could cure my problems just try to help me find ways to cope, so maybe the doctors you have been in contact with have been a little too enthusiastic in its abilities :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Also low dose antidepressants are known to sometimes give some pain relief to those suffering with chronic pain conditions, I would agree the OP may need to revisit their doc and put their concerns to them. Maybe even putting off the AD treatment until after they have had a second opinion or tried CBT but having an open mind regarding treatments is sometimes the best way to go

What does or does not work for one person isnt guaranteed to have the same effect on another
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:53 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Helhit » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:15 am

Hi I've had CBT and have to say it has helped tremendously. It helps you stay in the moment instead of thinking about how you used to be and worrying about what's to come.

You learn meditation techniques along with body scan, which I still use now after my sessions ended. To be able to let thoughts come into your head and not let the negative ones take over can be such a relief and this from the world's worst worrier!!!!!

I was really against going in the first place,but I am so glad I did. The counsellor never said she could cure me, but just help me cope with My life today
Wrt the depression, as my doc told me - you're not depressed you're just frustrated at what you are unable to do now.

That being said there's occasions where nothing helps but a good cry and chocolate!!!
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:06 am

:welcome: to our little piece of cyber~space Jonno :wave: :wave:

First of all, as you read what has been said in response to your posts, please don't think that in any way, shape or form, that anyone on here is saying that you are/must be depressed with what is happening to and around you. Firstly, none of us are qualified to do so, and secondly, anyone who says that they can make any sort of dx based on what has been posted on a topic is clearly....well, you could probably insert a choice word or 2 after that to describe such a person. All we can do is comment based on our own experiences and findings, which, as you've seen, brings about numerous thoughts and opinions.

Wrt to your GP and your relationship with them prior to when depression was mentioned, has it been a good one where you have felt you are listened too and your thoughts and concerns have been taken seriously??? If so, then maybe you should consider giving them another chance and go back to discuss the depression question with them. Ask about the questionnaires that have been mentioned as they are ones used across the board as part of determining if someone is/may be depressed. They should be able to provide you with copies to complete and return. Based on your responses, marks are allocated depending on the severity of the reply, which then goes towards that final determination.

If, however, you have often felt as if you were being fobbed off, or leaves you feeling like you've wasted the appt time, then it may be necessary to consider seeing a different one at your practice. To be sure that you're getting the most suitable one, you could ask if there is someone who tends to deal with/has an interest in mental health issues and make an appt to see them. Again, ask about depression, questionnaires etc and see what their responses are like. Do try and bear in mind tho that it is possible to have an indication that you could be, or already are on that road without you initially realising, so should someone else agree with what was said by your original GP, don't take it to heart or think that all they are interested in is labelling everyone with it. It is so easy to find yourself heading there without you realising it, and the earlier along the way it can be spotted, the more chance there is of you getting the best out of treatment offered, which will help get you heading back in the opposite direction again.

CBT, or CBT~based therapy can be beneficial. You do need to give it your all tho, which means you may be left feeling completely :bricks: :bricks: :bricks: :bricks: after sessions, and at times you could end up questioning whether it is right for you {it doesn't suit everyone.} If you can keep your mind open about it, and rather than having preconceived expectations and outcomes, and tackle each session with the aim of getting as much as you can from each session every time you go {sometimes it may be a lot that you get from a session, at others there may be very little that you take away} you could reap some rather nice rewards from it.

And if all else fails, you can always put the kettle on for a :cup1: :cup1: :cup1: Bring out the [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] and hug your :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jonno » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:26 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses :-D It is just a lot to take in at the moment :shock:
Jonno
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello