New to fibro

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New to fibro

Postby alice2411 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:39 am

Hi I've just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and was just wondering if there's anything anybody can help with am only 23 and at the moment out of work.
alice2411
UKFM Member

Re: New to fibro

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:37 am

:welcome: to our little FibroFamily Alice :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

I've moved you onto here with this being your intro post as it's a more suitable board than where you had originally posted.

There is lots of info and advice across the forum, so maybe you could start by having a bit of a looky to see if there might be anything helpful for you. The Search function goes right down into the deepest, darkest depths of the forum, so using that will search thru the older topics and posts too.

As FM affects all so very differently, we each have our little twists and ways of managing what we live with, so if you can give us some ideas of the areas you're currently needing help with, we might b able to come up with some ideas/suggestions for you. Asking about something related to a particular problem or area with bring you more relevant replies compared to asking for advice in general, which can and does bring about all sorts of replies which may not be quite what you're looking for at that particular moment.

We're all quite nice and friendly, so don't be afraid about asking anything, if we can, we'll try and point you in the right direction of what is hopefully something useful for you
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby alice2411 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Thank you and just basically struggling not sleeping well and in pain all time am trying to keep active as i can but constantly tiard only been diagnosed last year with it. am seeing the roomatologists in October now they keep changing my appointments .
alice2411
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:05 pm

Hopefully this appt will stay where it is in October for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

It is tricky, esp in the earlier days to find the right balance of things for you, it is possible tho, with a bit of trial and error, to start finding your way there.

Are you currently on any medication to help with any of your symptoms?? If not, or you are but they seem to be helping very little, it might be worth seeing your GP for a chat to see if there is anything else that might be suitable for you to try/add to things to help make you feel a little more comfortable. Even if it's for just a short time, until you get to see the Rheumi, it might be worth considering.

As well as meds, there are things you can do and use to help make things a little more comfortable. The Help/Tips On Coping board is full of all sorts of things that people have found useful, so might be worth an explore when you have time. Some of the regularly used items incl hot water bottles placed on affected areas as warmth can help ease things, same with the wheaty bags that can be heated in the microwave. Pain relieving gels, such as ones containing ibuprofen, can help, as can soaking in a warm bath, or having a warm shower running over you. TENs machines can bring some easing, and physio, acupuncture, and hydrotherapy have been found beneficial. For these, your GP or Rheumi should be able to tell you about availability in your area.

For activity, finding how long, on average, you are able to do something for without things becoming too uncomfortable can be a good starting point. If you pick a number of things you do on a regular basis, then see how long you can do them for without them becoming too difficult for you to continue at different times, you can then use them to find your average time. If you also do a similar thing with how long you need to rest between doing different things, it then gives you your starting baseline. So if it works out that you can do something for 15 mins, then need a rest for 10 mins, then that's what you can start off with. If it turns out not to be quite right, then adjust things to find what does suit.

I'll try and come back later with a bit about sleeping as I've been online a bit too long, and need at bit of a rest from things :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby alice2411 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Thank u and am on amitrypline at the moment I've also got Raynaud's disease is well as am constantly cold and have very bad circulation.
I struggle doing things day to day and tend to do things slowly but get the hassle off family for being slow. I hope they keep it they told me to keep a log about the numbness I keep getting it freaks me out abit but I've always been a very anxious person I've got my bf for support but I can't keep going to him if am strugglin I don't think it's fair on him I still don't understand fibro fully yet. Some bits are difficult to take in
alice2411
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi Alice and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello