New to the forum

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New to the forum

Postby Beckybecks » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:52 am

Hi, I'm Becky, new to this forum and happy to find a place where I can discuss the problems I have with Fibromyalgia.
I was diagnosed a year ago but I think I've suffered with this for many years.
I've recently moved to UK from South Africa and taken up a job as a gardener on an estate. I thought the exercise would be good for me but my body is complaining big time! Suddenly I have far more symptoms and am wondering whether the sudden change in lifestyle has brought out more Fibro symptoms or whether I'm just unfit (which I am!) and need to give it time.
Apart from so much more aches and pains I am finding it hard to deal with the numb feelings in my hands and feet.
Anyway, nice to be here. Hope to have some interesting chats in the future.
Newly arrived in the UK from Southern Africa
Beckybecks
UKFM Member

Re: New to the forum

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:14 am

Welcome to the UK and the forum. I too am originally from SA. I've been in the UK for 13 yrs :-D Exercise is good for fibro. I feel worse for sitting for long periods of time or sleeping in long at the weekends! I move around and rest inbetween. Its a balancing act! I had sudden onset of symptoms in Jan this year. Felt like I had the flu and it didn't go away. I was already seeing a rheumatologist for arthritis which was diagnosed last year, and he diagnosed the fibro in Feb this year. I got lucky being diagnosed so quickly as some people have to wait years. I think we are lucky to have the nhs over here as we dont have to pay for medical help like we do in SA :-D I don't pay for my meds either as I have an underactive thyroid. So far I've had a lot go luck finding the right people to help me at the right time. I try to live life as positively as possible. I don't work but I do have full responsibility of the household, the kids and organising their school life and the groceries and cooking etc. So there are a lot of things i still have to do. I cant just lie down on the sofa all day or in bed. I have to get up early. But I make sure i take regular breaks. These seem to work for me so far. I'm on Amitriptyline for sleep and pain plus gabapentin for the same thing. I dont take regular painkillers much as I found that my body gets used to them and I find them less effective,

Anyway, hope you find this place as helpful as I have.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello