newly diagonosed and determined to fight

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

newly diagonosed and determined to fight

Postby x leese x » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi all im new to the forum, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 3mths ago after 5yrs of hospital stays n agony. I am trying my hardest to remain positive and take each good day as a blessing though they good days dont happen very often. I used to be so active horse riding with my girls being a fave hobby which caused more pain so had to give up as muscle spasms mid canter are fair scary. Im on amitriptyline and naproxen and paracetamol to control muscle spasms tho I find these arent very helpful. I see a rheumatologist soon who has mentioned galbapentin may be a better opition for me I just wanted to know if anyone else takes this and does it help? My children are both v young & I would like to do more with them as I feel I am letting them down atm and want to get back to being me im determined to fight every step of the way
X leese x
x leese x
UKFM Newbie

Re: newly diagonosed and determined to fight

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi x How long have you been on the Amitriptyline and at what dosage? It took me a month to get benefit from it. I started on 5mg now on 25mg. I was diagnosed in Feb this year. I have been on gabapentin for just over a month. Both meds are brilliant for me. I'm not on any normal painkillers as these do me just fine. I feel much better on them. I'm not cured or anything just handling the condition better. I still get fatigue some days and there is pain here and there. It isnt constant misery like it was. I'm sore and tired today but this is not all the time. I also keep a positive mind and I fight everyday to live a normal life. I don't go out to work but I do have a lot of responsibilities to run the home, the kids and various hospital appointments for me and the kids. My children are 6, 10 & 12. I was diagnosed a month after symptoms started. And they started full on! It was horrible. My vitamin D was also very very low, so on a pill for that. I am thankful i don't have to take too many pills. I would like to keep it that way :-D I was also diagnosed with arthritis last year but so far so good. It finished as quickly as it started.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby x leese x » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:45 pm

I have been taking amitriptyline for three months now and am now on 40mg per night I am still very tired each day and restless at night & the pain is unbearable at times I have had vitamin d injections which helped slightly too. I had to give up work dec last yr due to then undiagnosed fibro hitting me full force also my eldest daughter has severe health problems which mean she needs me on call 24/7. Im hoping that the change of meds may help. Thanks for your reply it is greatly appreciated its nice to know I am not the only one in this situation :-D
X leese x
x leese x
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Ask the rheumatologist about taking the gabapentin with the Amitriptyline. I upped my ami to 50mg and I was like a zombie. My head was clogged and heavy, thats when he suggested I go done to 25mg then also take 100mg gabapentin 3 x a day.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello