Another newbie to say hello....

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Another newbie to say hello....

Postby Widget » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi Everyone.

I was "diagnosed" last Friday, well I say diagnosed, my doctor did his normal "what do you think it might be?" to which I told him I have thought for over a year that I have FM, "Yes, I'm happy that it probably is FM", at which point he drew me a lovely picture of the Central Nervous System and what he thinks is going on with me!

I've lived with mid-back pain for over 20 years following an RTA, so am fairly tolerant to pain having tried most of the prescription pain killers and becoming tolerant to them all over the years. Then to add to my party, I slipped a disc at the bottom of my back just before NYE, was told by another Dr at the practice "Yes, you're a bit sore there aren't you, take some paracetamol and try a hot water bottle" (I should point out at this point that my husband and I are also trying to get pregnant, hence my recent reluctance to fill myself with too many different drugs), the pain was fairly excruciating at this point but being me, I soldiered on till my next physio session three weeks later (I'd been seeing a private physio to try and get some relief from the most recent flare up in my mid-back), it was him who told me I'd slipped the disc!
Around March, when I was still struggling from the pain of the slipped disc, I went back to the Drs and they referred me for physio, which I've been having since June (including more, recently acupuncture, which does give some relief :-D).
So anyway, I went to the Drs on Friday because I haven't been sleeping properly, been extremely down and grumpy and generally crap to be around, and stiff, always so stiff when I'm still (whether sitting or standing or lying down), for only about 10 minutes, and finally had a constructive conversation with what could be deemed as a way forward. He's put me back on Amitriptyline (I was on them for a couple of months in the summer) to help me sleep, and I have to go back next Friday when he'll review how I am following (hopefully) some decent nights sleep, then he's talking about CBT and maybe some other "happy pills" (incidentally the baby plans are currently on hold due to finances!).

So that's me and my rather garbled story, what else, oh my memory is shocking, things that shouldn't hurt do hurt (I mean like playful taps etc), I have always been very sensitive to lights and smells, I'm always tired (well yawning anyway!), and have had horrid migraines in the past (which now thankfully have downgraded themselves to chronic tension headaches (not as painful in my experience but tend to last for weeks at a time!), I turned 40 a month ago, I work full time, have no children (yet, ever hopeful) and am on my second marriage.

Hello
Widget
UKFM Newbie

Re: Another newbie to say hello....

Postby madchickenlady » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:27 pm

Hi, I really hate it when doctors say that to you and my usual reply is I don't know whats wrong that's why I came to see you seeing as your a doctor, the trouble with some of them is when faced with something they can't diagnose and the absence of any positive tests they will ask you what you think is wrong and then agree with you having decided that that is what you want to hear, then they put you on meds so it looks like they are doing something for you, did your gp do tests to rule out other conditions or illness and then perform pressure point tests on you,if not I would ask again for a proper diagnosis to make sure that you do have Fibro
When I was diagnosed I went to my gp and he performed tests for everything under the sun and referred me to a rheumatologist , all the tests cam back within normal range,the Rheumatologist that I saw then sent me for xrays which were normal, after all that he took a detailed history and performed the pressure point test on me and then diagnosed Fibro
madchickenlady
UKFM Member

Re: Another newbie to say hello....

Postby Widget » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:16 pm

Hi

He didn't do any bloods but I think his first priority was to try and get me sleeping better as the lack of sleep was making everything worse.

I'm back there on Friday, and having done my research, I will be asking for bloods and a referral (to rule out anything else).
Widget
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello