I guess Hello

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

I guess Hello

Postby punkedfish » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:45 am

I got my diagnosis Friday and to say the least i am still a little shell shocked. I knew it was coming but once you've been told its was for me a relief but also left me feeling very vulnerable to life itself.

I know 2 other people who suffer with this and that is my mum and mother-in-law and both of them have different approaches to coping with it but i am not even sure where to begin. But as intro's go.. I have suffered with migraines, anxiety, depression and IBS pretty much my whole life in June i was working and i bashed my right arm into the service area wall whilst carrying plates, this knocked out the use of my entire right arm and i spent a wonderful few hours in a&e on gas and air. I had inujered my shoulder pretty badly in my sleep about 4 years before this . This silly little overworked fault of mine started to what for me has seemed like the worst few months of my life.

I am not sure how to bounce back from this, i been off work and probably wont return to it. My mood and general outlook on life has pretty much slumped and i guess i am asking for advice, someone to help me understand this better so that i no longer feel like a burden on those who i love and care about.

Anywho after this ramble: My name is Lozzy and i need help
punkedfish
UKFM Newbie

Re: I guess Hello

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:58 am

Hi Lozzy,

Welcome to the board. I'm sure one of the mods will be along soon to give you the official hello, but as I'm here... :mrgreen:

I imagine seeing two different approaches to the condition has affected how you see it. I only got my diagnosis a few weeks ago and like you, knew it was coming, but it was still welcome and scary at the same time. I have also had IBS and depression for a long time.

Have you been referred to a consultant rheumotologist or pain clinic? That's where I started, my pain clinic saw me last week (so 11 months after this all began!) and have talked me through the options - meds, tai chi, hydrotherapy, other medical interventions...To me that appointment was extremely useful. There are also sometimes pain management programmes they run which teach you about pacing etc. So my first step would be to see if that is run in your local hospital (try googling "chronic pain [nameofhospital]" or "pain clinic [nameofhospital].")
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby punkedfish » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:27 am

I am calling the doctor's today to discuss my options.. annoyingly my doctors of the past five months ignored me and told me basically I was the rheumatologist's problem so its going to be interesting.
My mother in law has a very positive outlook with it and my mum has a negative impact on it. So its put me at what feels like 2 ends of the spectrum

Thank you for your welcome's :)
punkedfish
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi x

I was diagnosed in Feb this year. I am one of those who put a positive spin on things. I think thats the best way to deal with this condition. You've got it for life. It's not going to suddenly disappear. You need to choose the life you want. Out of curiosity, who's doing better? Your mum or mum in law? I feel since I've been more positive I am coping so much better. I try to exercise when I get the time and generally try to carry on as normal. I take a few meds which are helping me a lot. I do have and days but the good outnumber them :-D It used to be the other way round when I was in negative land. So up I'm sure I'm using a lot of self help. I also have arthritis which is currently in remission, so very aware more meds and problems may come in the future. But I'm trying to love for today.

Take care x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby punkedfish » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:30 pm

Theresa34 wrote:Hi x

I was diagnosed in Feb this year. I am one of those who put a positive spin on things. I think thats the best way to deal with this condition. You've got it for life. It's not going to suddenly disappear. You need to choose the life you want. Out of curiosity, who's doing better? Your mum or mum in law? I feel since I've been more positive I am coping so much better. I try to exercise when I get the time and generally try to carry on as normal. I take a few meds which are helping me a lot. I do have and days but the good outnumber them :-D It used to be the other way round when I was in negative land. So up I'm sure I'm using a lot of self help. I also have arthritis which is currently in remission, so very aware more meds and problems may come in the future. But I'm trying to love for today.

Take care x

Sorry for the late rely; My mother in law she has a brilliant positive outlook despite having a very, VERY cruddy year. My mum has had serious issues with mental health for as long as i can remember, she is always stressed out to the max and takes life like a slap to the face everyday..she is also a little ocd and has to take care of my 3 brothers, 2 whom have varying stages of autism. So In a try not to be horrible way i am kinda glad i live with my mother in law and take her outlook on fibro than living with my mother and having to deal with my sister and father who are still in the "it doesn't exist" or "They will grow out of it" . My father doesn't accept my brothers are autistic which has always put added strain on the family. So i know my mum is strong enough to deal with it but mentally not capable
punkedfish
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:48 pm

I get pretty stressed myself with the kids always arguing and I know it doesn't help with my health but I try as much as I can to just keep positive and carry on as normal as possible. I'm glad you're with your mother in law and staying positive. I'm sure it really helps us!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello