Just diagnosed

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Just diagnosed

Postby alexander120 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:48 am

Hi

I live in Devon and have just been diagnosed this week. I have fibro along with oseteoarthritis. Just been given 20 mg of amitriptlyne and 500 mg naproxen to be taken twice a day. Still trying to get my head around all of this and trying to learn as much as possible. I have had the symptoms for 2 years, possibly longer but had other problems so was very ill anyway! Have all the usual symptoms of fibro which I am struggling with at the moment. Trying to work full time which can be a real struggle on some days. Does it get better or worse? From what I read it does not ever go away is this true?

Thanks for reading hope you are all having a good day.

Julie
alexander120
UKFM Newbie

Re: Just diagnosed

Postby Duirra » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:06 pm

alexander120 wrote: Does it get better or worse? From what I read it does not ever go away is this true?

Welcome to the forum!

Since doctors don't know the cause, the best they can do is treat the symptoms rather than treat the condition. Which does tend to mean things get worse over time. What that means is something different for everyone. You could stay where you are for the next twenty years before you notice any worsening.

There are many theories on what the cause of fibro is. People do find things that actually get them to a fibro-free life. I've heard people believing it is a vitamin deficiency and getting significantly better on specific vitamins or diet changes. I, personally, am on the guaifenesin protocol. The belief that the fibro is caused by genes interfering with the body's ability to get rid of certain phosphates. The pill allows the body to get rid of the build up, which is the cause of the pain. I've also heard people believing it is simply caused by faulty posture and taking classes to help relearn better posture and having significant improvement.

It's all about looking around at what's out there and trying to find what's best for you.
Duirra
UKFM Member

Re: Just diagnosed

Postby carolad » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:52 pm

alexander120 wrote:Hi

I live in Devon and have just been diagnosed this week. I have fibro along with oseteoarthritis. Just been given 20 mg of amitriptlyne and 500 mg naproxen to be taken twice a day. Still trying to get my head around all of this and trying to learn as much as possible. I have had the symptoms for 2 years, possibly longer but had other problems so was very ill anyway! Have all the usual symptoms of fibro which I am struggling with at the moment. Trying to work full time which can be a real struggle on some days. Does it get better or worse? From what I read it does not ever go away is this true?

Thanks for reading hope you are all having a good day.

Julie

Hi Julie and welcome :) It will probably take a bit of time to adjust to your diagnosis and to find what works best for you. There may be no 'cure' but with the right support and change in lifestyle, you can learn to manage the symptoms better. Pacing is important, so don't push yourself too hard and try and remove unnecessary stress from your life (easier said than done I know!). I know it can get you down (we've all been there!) but keeping a positive outlook helps. I am managing my symptoms much better now since I changed my outlook and made some practical changes in my life, the main one being a reduction in my hours at work (37 hours to 30 hours a week). This was a very difficult decision for me and I was upset about it at the time..but it really has helped. I actually wish I'd asked to do this a long time ago. Would there be any possibility of you reducing your hours like this?

As well as taking the medication that your GP prescribes, it might be worth you taking supplements - there are a whole range of things that people have found helpful. Diet is another issue - I've heard of people having a reduction in their symptoms through making dietry changes - gluten free, no dairy, no sugar etc. Though of course if you do want to try this, just leave out one thing at a time or you won't know what is having an effect! Gentle exercise is good too, the worst thing you can do is stop moving because that will just lead to muscle weakness and more pain. But having said that, be careful not to overdo it. I used to go to the gym about 4 times a week, even though it made me feel worse...I was too stubborn and determined to give it up! I can see now that wasn't very sensible though...and I have now learnt not to push myself so hard.

It may take you a while to adjust to it all and find out what works best for you, but please try not to worry too much. There is life after a fibromyalgia diagnosis :) x
carolad
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello