Other illnesses beginning long before FM symptoms

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Other illnesses beginning long before FM symptoms

Postby Gingermama » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi all I'm a newbie, only diagnosed this week. Getting my head round it all still at mo but finding this forum very useful!

My query is this;

I got diagnosed about 13 years ago with IBS and 7 years ago I got diagnosed with hashimotos disease (under active thyroid) following the birth of my eldest.
My FM symptoms of pain and fatigue probably started about 3-4 years ago. Initially with hip pain and pelvic instability when I was pregnant 4 years ago. I was given an insert to wear in one shoe as one leg is slightly shorter than the other, which I have also read is another common issue. Then about 3 years ago I started getting pain in my legs and fatigue. I was treated for depression (which I did have too) and also for vitamin b12 deficiency.

Now I have finally been diagnosed and have been researching FM and its symptoms I've found that all of these are common symptoms of FM too.

Has anyone else experienced this? Common FM symptoms being there long before the FM pain and fatigue sets in?
Thanks for everyone's support through this xxx
Gingermama
UKFM Member

Re: Other illnesses beginning long before FM symptoms

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Oh yes. My IBS started 14 years ago, and my depression started when I was a kid, although it really kicked in 9 years ago.

Fibro definitely only started this year, despite people continually telling me I must have had it for longer?!!!! :roll:

Welcome to the forum btw!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:10 pm

Gingermama wrote:

My FM symptoms of pain and fatigue probably started about 3-4 years ago. Initially with hip pain and pelvic instability when I was pregnant 4 years ago. I was given an insert to wear in one shoe as one leg is slightly shorter than the other, which I have also read is another common issue. Then about 3 years ago I started getting pain in my legs and fatigue.

xxx

Hello and welcome :) Has anyone measured your legs to check they really are different lengths? I was told I had one leg longer than the other by a chiropractor - he gave me a heel lift to wear on my 'short' leg. But it turned out that I don't have one leg longer than the other, it is just that my pelvis is twisted and that makes it appear one leg is longer because that half of my pelvis is rotated forwards. You mention pelvic instability which makes me think you could be the same. It isn't easy for doctors or physios to tell if you have an actual or apparent leg length discrepancy so you really need to have your legs measured. It is important that you find out because if you only appear to have a leg length difference, but your legs measure the same, wearing a shoe insert will probably cause more problems.

It does appear that other chronic pain conditions are a risk factor for developing fibromyalgia so it may be that your pelvic instability was the trigger. Depression also seems to be linked to fibro, though it doesn't seem clear if it is a risk factor or a symptom.

I hope you find it helpful here :) x
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:56 pm

I've had an underactive thyroid for a few years, diagnosed with ibs maybe two or three years ago, arthritis last year & fibro this year :-)
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:02 pm

I have Hypermobility, have had since birth, I also have mitral valve reflux and ectopic heartbeats, which are both linked to FM, I have IBS, been treted for derpession, I have Raynauds symptoms, but never diagnosed, and I have been an insomniac on and off since i was a teen!!
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby BettyB » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:11 am

Hi,
I was diagnosed in September with fatigue and pain only being an issue this year. However I have had IBS FOR 26 yrs, had achy legs(severe growing pains) since a child which I now recognise as Fm pains. Have had on off bouts of stree/anxiety for 4-5 yrs. I have endrimetriosis (not sure if this is connected) for 11yrs and headaches/migraines for acout 30 yrs. I also had a chronic bursitis 4 yrs ago which continuously rears it's head. I was writing it all out for a life insurance policy recently and suddenly realised I am falling apart but most if not all is linked. Also occasionally I get really confused so much so I could be in a corridor be aware of the building I am in and which place I need to go but I am totally lacking of understanding of how to get there, this happens in the car too and my first experience of this was 33 years ago at age 11. Is this normal To FM or am I just looney on top of everything else? :crazy:
BettyB
UKFM Member

Postby Gingermama » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi all does seem like certain issues are almost a precursor to FM! I was told by physio that my legs were uneven. I do find that if I don't wear my heal insert I feel unbalanced so happy to wear it. Had it checked twice so think this is right. I've been really forgetful of late, sometimes looking at my phone thinking what am I doing or standing in kitchen not knowing what I need to do!

It's pretty frustrating, just keep telling myself I'm a silly cow lol!
Gingermama
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello