Newly diagnosed

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newly diagnosed

Postby Lexi_t » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi everyone
Very glad to have found this forum. I'm 35 and diagnosed around 8 months ago. My GP is supportive but I've not had much luck with medication; been on tramadol which helps but makes me very out of it and was on citalopram to regulate sleep but developed a nasty allergy to it.

No on Cymbalta for last 2 weeks which is helping with the pain but I a, so exhausted, shaky and fibro fog-y, it's making work and looking after my young daughter very hard. Been off sick again today as just couldn't get out of bed and feel terribly guilty :(

I also do Pilates and walk when well, and in my spare time I like crochet and cooking.

Tried Maca which gave me awful headaches and now a little nervous of complementary therapies, mainly because they seem very expensive!

Anyway sorry this is a bit of a ramble and hello everyone :oops:
Lexi_t
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newly diagnosed

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:31 pm

:welcome: to our little FibroFamily Lexi :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Trying to find the right cocktail of things that make a difference to you is part of our FibroQuests unfortunately :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: And it's something that needs a significant amount of patience as, quiet often, a number of different things, usually in different dosages and combos, tend to need trying to find the right recipe for each of us. Typically, what may help one of us may do absolutely nothing for someone else.

Cymbalta {Duloxetine} as like Citalopram, does need time to build up and make its benefits felt. And sometimes the initial starting dosage isn't quite right, so some time is needed to find the right level for the individual. What you've been experiencing may be related to side effects which, if they are, should hopefully start and ease back for you soon :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: If you find they stay the same, worsen, or are just giving you cause for concern, then do contact your GP as there may be things that can be done/taken to help make their impact a little less all~encompassing for you.

As for the complimentary/alternatively/herbally remedies and treatments, there are those who find they can help in various way, whereas for others, just like prescribed and OTC meds, they have little or no effect for them. For me, they're a big :nono: :nono: :nono: due to the extreme responses and reactions I have to such treatments.

Think I've waffled on at you for long enough for tonight. When you have a mo, try and have a bit of a looky around the place. The boards are full of all sorts of info, advice and suggestions, so there might be something helpful in amongst it all for you :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi, I'm 35 too, diagnosed in Feb this year. I have found that Amitriptyline & gabapentin are helping with my sleep & my pain. I have also used Pilates as well as other exercises. I have used tramadol which took me a while to get used to but I've stopped taking them. They made me terribly constipated! Now I only take painkillers here and there and rely mainly on the first two.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Lexi_t » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:20 pm

Thank you both of you, great to "meet" you. So good to find so many knowledgable and supportive people!
It does seem very individual what works and what doesn't !
My doctor mentioned gabapentin to me as the next step if I was allergic to the Cymbalta (he was a bit worried after the citalopram gave me hives all over my body) as apparently it is a different class of drug? Fortunately so far no hives on this drug.
I think it may have been my pregnancy that triggered FM, not sure how common that is.
Lexi_t
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:51 am

It is very individual as to what can help, which adds even more to the frustrations that tag along with the condition :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Gabapentin is a very different type of med, and for some it helps significantly. Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant that was originally developed for treating/managing epilepsy. However, it was also found to help with pain in some. It is thought that the way it calms the electrical hyperactivity in the brain that causes seizures also acts in a similar way on the misfiring pain signals that whiz around the body.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Lexi_t » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Oh that makes sense. Thank you!
I'm having some horrible side effects from the Cymbalta unfortunately - night sweats, needing the loo all the time but not being able to go, very groggy an hour or so after taking it and the most horrid dry mouth, like you get with a hangover. I'm going to go back to the docs as it really doesn't seem to suit me :roll:
Lexi_t
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:28 am

Lexi_t wrote:Thank you both of you, great to "meet" you. So good to find so many knowledgable and supportive people!
It does seem very individual what works and what doesn't !
My doctor mentioned gabapentin to me as the next step if I was allergic to the Cymbalta (he was a bit worried after the citalopram gave me hives all over my body) as apparently it is a different class of drug? Fortunately so far no hives on this drug.
I think it may have been my pregnancy that triggered FM, not sure how common that is.

I don't know either with the pregnancy trigger. But I will say that the first time I got sciatic pain was in my 2nd pregnancy and I've had it on and off ever since. That was 11 yrs ago. I've also had lower back pain since and I did have insomnia for two yrs til I started on meds for it this year.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello