Just been diagnosed but blood says otherwise

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Just been diagnosed but blood says otherwise

Postby Vixaria » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:42 pm

I have had pains in my joints in the past and my doctor gave me blood tests which came back clear so he just sent me away with naproxen. 
Over the past several months, the pain has been getting worse (mainly in my fingers, hands and wrists)
I found info on fibromyalgia on the Internet and suggested it to my doctor. He agreed it was likely and referred me to a rheumatologist. 
I went last week and after a quick exam, he said I have fibromyalgia. 
BUT.... Because my most recent bloods were taken when I had Pneumonia, the results were inconclusive so he wanted new samples taken just to rule out anything else.
He said he was expecting them to come back clear and discharged me there and then saying when he got my results he would write to my doctor with a diagnosis of fibro and I could get prescribed some medication.
Turns out, my blood results came back showing inflammation.
The rheumatologist now wants to see me again next week.
What could this mean?
I am sure I have fibro, I have every symptom... pain in joints and muscles, painful pressure points, memory problems... etc.
Please help
Vixaria
UKFM Newbie

Re: Just been diagnosed but blood says otherwise

Postby whoami » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:44 am

Why don't you just wait and see what the Dr says. You will work yourself into a tizzy.

There can be more than just fibro going on, You could have arthritis also. Wait and see.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Theresa34 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:24 pm

I have fibro & arthritis so sometimes my bloods show a mild inflammation x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Vixaria » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:26 pm

Theresa34 wrote:I have fibro & arthritis so sometimes my bloods show a mild inflammation x

How were you diagnosed with arthritis?
Vixaria
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:49 pm

That is probably why the rhuematologist wants to see you again as it will be that department that diagnosis arthritis as well as fibro, BUT it could just be you have another virus.

The best thing is to wait to see what they have to say, pacing helps for both conditions so try to just listen to your body and dont push things too far, break down tasks into smaller pieces and generally you find you can get more done (even though it takes a bit longer)

And :welcome: to the forum :wave: :wave: :wave:

Just edited this to say, napraxen is for inflammation so should help, also although inflammation is not stated as a symptom of fibro some members have said they suffer from it so :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Theresa34 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Vixaria wrote:
Theresa34 wrote:I have fibro & arthritis so sometimes my bloods show a mild inflammation x

Last Feb I woke up with a red hot swollen toe. The next morning a second toe was the same and then the next two days two more. The month before that, I had a red hot very swollen knee. I ignored the knee as I often went onto my knees doing housework & picking up toys, but when the toes started, I decided to see my gp. He thought it might be rheumatoid arthritis. So he booked me in for the blood test for RA and immediately referred me to a rheumatologist. I was seeing a rheumatologist, well two in the same room, and got my blood results which were negative. I had taken photos of my knee and toes, thankfully, which they called dactylitis (sausage toes). They told me I have psoriatic arthritis. The photos and the small amount of psoriasis on my scalp confirmed this for them. It wasn't until this Feb that the fibro took hold. So now I have both!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Vixaria » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:13 pm

Theresa34 wrote:
Vixaria wrote:

Last Feb I woke up with a red hot swollen toe. The next morning a second toe was the same and then the next two days two more. The month before that, I had a red hot very swollen knee. I ignored the knee as I often went onto my knees doing housework & picking up toys, but when the toes started, I decided to see my gp. He thought it might be rheumatoid arthritis. So he booked me in for the blood test for RA and immediately referred me to a rheumatologist. I was seeing a rheumatologist, well two in the same room, and got my blood results which were negative. I had taken photos of my knee and toes, thankfully, which they called dactylitis (sausage toes). They told me I have psoriatic arthritis. The photos and the small amount of psoriasis on my scalp confirmed this for them. It wasn't until this Feb that the fibro took hold. So now I have both!

Oh no, having one is bad enough, bless you.
I have psoriasis on my scalp also (since I was a child), and now have it in my ears but of all the joint pains I have had, none have been red or swollen.
I have suffered with very painful shoulder impingement for the last year so I am thinking that may show up as inflammation in my blood.
Vixaria
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:12 am

I didn't know I had any psoriasis at all. Looking back, I went through a very stressful time a few years ago and I remember breaking out in what I think may have been guttate psoriasis. I was covered in it. The gp didnt know what it was strangely! The second time it happened was when I was put on a disease modifying drug for the arthritis. I had a bad reaction to it, got very ill. My nurse said that it sounded like psoriasis both times.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Vixaria » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:16 am

I do find it amazing how clueless some GPs are.
Docs don't like it when people look things up on the Internet and 'self-diagnose' but sometimes it's the only way to figure out what's wrong when your docs keep fobbing you off!
Vixaria
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:19 am

Yes I've heard some bad things about gps! I feel I got really lucky with the one who referred me very quickly to a rheumatologist. I said to him, do you even want to see my swollen toes and he said he didnt have to. It sounded like RA! He was very fast. And because I was seeing a rheumy for arthritis my fibro was diagnosed quickly to. So in a way I've been quite lucky compared to some x
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Vixaria » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:34 am

Yes me too. Although I have had bad joints in the past, and I was tested for arthritis.
It's only recently that the pain has gotten really bad so that's when I looked up my symptoms and found fibro, I had every symptom. So I went to my GP and suggested it and within a month I was at the rheumatologist and after my questionable blood results I am going back exactly 2 weeks after my first appt. So it took for me to suggest fibro but it has still moved very quick.
Some people talk of going back and forth to their docs over years and getting no answers.
Vixaria
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:52 pm

I have a huge worry at the moment. We want to move house next year and I'm so worried changing GPS and rheumatologists. I really like my rheumy and my nurse. I just hope the new ones are good too x
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Vixaria » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:00 pm

At least you have your diagnosis and they can't change that.
Fingers crossed for you hun. All the best :-D
Vixaria
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks xxx
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello