New and confused!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New and confused!

Postby Lauren_abigail » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi all :-)

I was diagnosed with FM on Thursday of last week. I have been suffering with FM type symptoms for around 3 years on and off (doctors have been terribly slow at diagnosis!) and I've stumbled onto this fab forum.

I'm 26, female, still in full time work (FM is not yet that debilitating that I cannot work, which I am hugely thankful for!)

My passion / hobby / life is my horse; I am curious to know how many other FM sufferers have horses and if they have any tips / tricks as to how to cope?

I really struggled this morning mucking out :-(
Lauren_abigail
UKFM Newbie

Re: New and confused!

Postby denys » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :cow-wave: :cow-wave: I know there are a few members who ride or used to ride :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby MusicCC » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi Lauren,

Not got a horse but I'm 28 and also still work full time (though off today - fatigue hit like a ton of bricks this morning). And yes I also feel incredibly lucky. Though I admit I worry that it might not always be like that, especially when I flare up. New to the forum but not new to fibro, was diagnosed at 17 (when I was a lot worse than I am now - well usually anyways).

One of the things I stopped doing after being diagnosed was drying my hair. Because it hurt my arms and took too much energy from me. Still let it dry naturally and wear it curly most of the time. Remember being at a restaurant with a particularly high table one time and being exhausted at having my arms so high up while eating. So I can imagine that something as physical as mucking out must be exhausting.

Is there anyone that can help you out? Although I'm sure it's not an easy job to get volunteers for lol. I found a couple of things that I don't know if would help, one a discussion on types of bedding some of which may be easier to clean out and another thing on reducing bedding (though seems to be differing views on whether this is good or not). As said I'm not a horse owner and I don't ride - although do love horses and did have some lessons when I was younger. So don't know what I'm talking about but maybe the links will give you some ideas!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/archi ... 74152.html

http://cs.thehorse.com/blogs/smart-hors ... -time.aspx

:wave:
MusicCC
UKFM Newbie

Postby carolad » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:36 pm

Hi Lauren :-) I have a horse too and she is my best friend/hobby/passion :-)

I have scoliosis as well as being diagnosed with fibro. So I've had chronic back/sacroiliac pain for about 8 years. I keep my horse at a livery yard and used to do DIY livery until my back became too sore to muck out - so my horse is now on full livery. It's expensive but it's the only way I can manage it. I don't actually do that much riding now because my mare is elderly and semi retired - we just do gentle hacks now. So we suit each other quite well, we both take it easy and there's no pressure to do anything if neither of us feel up to it :-)

Do you compete or do you just ride for fun?
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby nikkinackynoodles » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:58 pm

Hi Lauren!

I can't even IMAGINE mucking out a horse!!!!! Although I've been working up until now, it hurts to hold the phone up to my ear for more than a few minutes!!!! BUT I get that it's likely to be almost therapeutic if it's your passion and what you love doing.... keep it up for as long as your body will allow!!! :-D x
nikkinackynoodles
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello