New member.

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New member.

Postby KenRP » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:50 am

Hi folks.

I'm Ken, 55 years old and still not sure if I've got fibro.

Had 15 years of "arthritis-like" symptoms, without having arthritis. Also depression, fatigue, sleep problems, etc.

Just read on here that "Fibrositis" is possibly the same thing as fibromyalgia, a Doctor said I had this in my neck 30 years ago!

So far I've been letting the GP decide which way tests and treatments are going, I think it's probably time that I brought up the subject of Fibro with her...
KenRP
UKFM Member

Re: New member.

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:13 am

Hi Ken,

Definitely mention it. It's good that you are having other tests, but I believe there is one type of arthritis that doesn't show on tests? Can't remember what it is though.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:31 am

KenRP wrote:
Just read on here that "Fibrositis" is possibly the same thing as fibromyalgia, a Doctor said I had this in my neck 30 years ago!

Hi Ken & :welcome:

Fibromyalgia was called Fibrositis so it is worth speaking with your GP about this
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby nikkinackynoodles » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:26 pm

Hi Ken!

Absolutely agree.... there is no harm in mentioning it to the doctors.... what's the worst that can happen?! I also agree that it's good that you are already having other tests done.... as it's the only way to rule out anything else being the cause of your symptoms.

I'd also mention the 30 year old diagnosis too!!!

Good luck!!! :mrgreen:
nikkinackynoodles
UKFM Member

Postby KenRP » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:49 am

Thanks all, appointment booked for next Tuesday. I've not been keen to self-diagnose, but I think the time has come!

The arthritis that doesn't show up on tests is Psoriatic Arthritis, this has been my diagnosis for a long time (I have Psoriasis), but I'm not convinced. I have had MRI scans which don't show any inflammation and the treatments haven't made any real difference.
KenRP
UKFM Member

Postby KenRP » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:20 pm

Well, I remembered most things, mainly down to having it all printed out!
Forgot the 30 year old diag though...

She did the "tender points" test, about half of them were painful, but I'm well used to pain!

She does agree that it looks like Fibro. Yahoo, a name to tell people!

She told me that the only treatment is pain relief, and that exercise might help, possibly regular gym sessions. I don't fancy that much. :yikes:
KenRP
UKFM Member

Postby Crystal pink » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:59 pm

Hi Ken.. Yeah, you're right.. It was a huge relief to me when I was given a 'REASON' for all the pain/discomfort I was living with.. The reason being, I was suffering with Fibro.. It was NOT all in my head.. At least once you have been diagnosed, you know there is a genuine reason for your pain!

As for your doctor suggesting exercise in the gym.. Hmmm.. I can only go with my own experience.. The consultant sent me for hydrotherapy treatment in the hospital.. It was great doing the 'gentle' exercises in water.. BUT.. I could NOT walk up the ramp to get out of the pool.. How well I remember the impatient, curt physios trying to hurry me along.. and again, the harsh words from them when I took too long getting dressed and leaving the changing room.. I felt like a brick, trying to mobilise myself.. After 3 sessions I wasn't given any further appts. I can honestly say, I felt like I'd been hit by a bus!! No way did those exercises help me..
Crystal pink
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello