Hello from North Yorkshire

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello from North Yorkshire

Postby FionaS » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:57 pm

Hello and thank you for allowing me to join. I am Fiona, 57, from North Yorkshire. I finally got a diagnosis last week from the wonderful rheumatologist at Harrogate, I cannot thank her enough. I have been through hell and high water to get this sorted, and most doctors bar one wonderful GP, have just thought I was neurotic and....well you know the rest.

I'm in the process of being taken off venlafaxine, to start mirtazipine, and am going through the withdrawals that I get with each successive dose reduction but will be so pleased to get that poison out of my body.

I think I can pinpoint my fibro to an accident back in 1997 but having broken my tibia and fibula twice in two years thanks initially to my collie, I am convinced that having to wear an Ilizarov frame (http://www.rlbuht.nhs.uk/OurHospitals/P ... ation.aspx) for 8 months did not help matters; as a scientist I would love to be able to do some research on this.

Looking for answers and ways of coping and I am sure that this place will be somewhere that I visit often. Having had almost 20 years of not being believed and knowing the relief of a diagnosis, I am sure that it will

I have also been diagnosed with generalised osteoarthritis that I have inherited from my mum, so it is a bit of a journey but, as that lovely rheumatologist told me, "it took a long time to get to this point, it will take a long time to sort things out, but we WILL get there"

I am lucky to be able to work from home because I know that I could never, ever go back to nursing or office work because my body would not cope with it. So, I am sure I will be dipping into here little and often!

Thank you again
Fiona
FionaS
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello from North Yorkshire

Postby jules50 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:39 pm

Hello Fiona I also live in Nth Yorkshire. I am on mirtazipine for about 5 years now and have found it helps with my mood and sleeping. It's hard to say what the pain would be like without it. I also take tramadol and paracetamol when necessary throughout the day. It took me a few years to be diagnosed first at York hospital then Chapel Allerton. I am now retired so at least I don't have to worry about work. Best wishes to you.
jules50
UKFM Member

Re: Hello from North Yorkshire

Postby UnderSiege » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:56 am

Hi there.

Welcome Fiona, I just read your link re the Ilizarov frame... I've seen folks clumping around with one of these before and had no idea that the wires go through the bone and all :shock:
How did you cope? I don't think I could, things are bad enough as is and I don't think the home assessment team would let me go home as I have to climb over my mums hoarding to get anywhere... I'd be homeless or have to stay in hospital for months!
Let's hope I never do that kind of damage to myself but hats off to you... you got through it after it happened not once but twice!

And as for the misdiagnosis/not being believed, I feel for you there. I had OA from the age of 18 but got all kinds of misdiagnosis (sciatica, lumbago, a several year long mass muscle strain...) and because I could not do the work I could do nor get retrained/re-educated and the GP wouldn't sign me off, I couldn't find work so got booted off JSA, had benefits stopped and ended up broke, homeless, often suicidal (with, thanks to this and other bad things I'd endured from childhood, a drink/drugs problem that's ok now btw) So I agree, GP's are mostly useless but you have to convince them to see the higher ups who have a better idea of what they're doing...
So I hope everything is better now and you get all the help you need even though it's taken long enough eh?

Ok, so the antidepressants... I've been on a variety myself with Mirtazapine being the most recent. I think Effexor was the most effective for me, even allowing me to have a job and enjoy it somewhat! But the side effects were the worst and contributed to the failure of my marriage (my loss of libido among other side effects led to her multiple cheating and then assaulting/abusing me when I had a slight issue with it...)

I actually quit the Mirtazapine by myself a couple of months ago on the principle that my family (who I have to live with for now) are horrible to me (and really nasty re my condition and how it means they can't always have their demands met)
I could deal with my condition and all that comes with it OR their bulls*** but not both and with the Mirtazapine I was taking something that added to the drowsiness of my other meds and was 'fake' happiness to make up for bad circumstances that shouldn't have been so I quit cold turkey (being fairly highly principled I thought such a drastic act/protest on my part would get them to quit the s*** and take notice but no...) Things are still no better but at least I'm a little less dopey in the mornings even though I still have night pain, insomnia etc. I'm not depressed because of the chronic pain/fatigue anyway, I got my head around that a long time ago. It's my family and all the unrelenting grief that burns me out.

Anyway, take care and take it easy.
UnderSiege
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello