Is this fibromyalgia??

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is this fibromyalgia??

Postby chris85 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi

I injured myself doing yoga 7 months ago then I started having joint pain in knees, wrists, elbows, sometimes ankles but not as bad. I kind of get tingling/ gnawing in my hands and knees that is where it is the worst. I went to a rhumatologist who told me I have arthralgia, this basically means joint pain. I felt he didnt really understand why this was happening. I am only 28 never really had health problems before. It doesn't seem to be improving much if at all. The rhumatologist said it would get better. Is this fibromyalgia? I am male by the way so it is less common. I was tested negative for arthritis. I am pretty weak and easily injured now, hopefully it won't always be this way. No fatigue really. Sleeping about the same as I was before the disease. I have no idea what is going on!

Cheers,

Chris
chris85
UKFM Newbie

Re: Is this fibromyalgia??

Postby Joan 100 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:59 am

Hi Chris
If you had Fibro the rheumatologist would have said so. They tend to rule out everything else that could be wrong with tons of tests then they they tell you its fibro, Mine did anyway.
If I was you I would research 'arthragia' I hope you feel better soon :-)
Joan 100
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:15 am

chris85 wrote:Hi

I injured myself doing yoga 7 months ago then I started having joint pain in knees, wrists, elbows, sometimes ankles but not as bad. I kind of get tingling/ gnawing in my hands and knees that is where it is the worst. I went to a rhumatologist who told me I have arthralgia, this basically means joint pain. I felt he didnt really understand why this was happening. I am only 28 never really had health problems before. It doesn't seem to be improving much if at all. The rhumatologist said it would get better. Is this fibromyalgia? I am male by the way so it is less common. I was tested negative for arthritis. I am pretty weak and easily injured now, hopefully it won't always be this way. No fatigue really. Sleeping about the same as I was before the disease. I have no idea what is going on!

Cheers,

Chris

There is so much confusion over fibromyalgia because there is no test for it. It is mostly a case of ruling everything else out and if they can't find anything wrong with you, they tell you it is fibromyalgia :roll: It sounds like 'arthralgia' is a similarly vague term so I can understand why you are left wondering... I would imagine you ended up with a diagnosis of arthralgia and not fibromyalgia because you don't have problems with sleep and fatigue.

My Rheumatologist wasn't clear about my 'diagnosis' - he said something like I 'will probably end up with a diagnosis of fibromyalgia'....what is that supposed to mean?! I have my doubts about it...even more so since going to see a Sports Physio who is following up some other possibilities for my pain. So if you can afford it, I would suggest going to a good private Physio to see if they can shed any more light on what is going on. Good luck in finding some answers! :-)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:25 am

I just googled arthralgia and it sounds like it is just a symptom, not a diagnosis - so it sounds like a bit of a cop out to me! You really need to find out WHY your joints are painful...so a physio is your best bet. Not an NHS one though, in my experience, they have no idea :roll:
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby chris85 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:02 pm

I think your absolutely right - it is a bit a cop out. I went to a physio right after I came back from India in Jan and she said you don't have any sprain or muscle damage and thought my joints had got just a bit stiff and I needed to make sure I exercised. I wish it was that simple, because I do some gentle physio exercises and it doesn't get a lot better if any. Well maybe it is a good thing it isnt straighforward fibro and that means it has a chance of getting better. I think if it carries on longer than a year I will ask for referral to a different Dr. Thanks for your replies.
chris85
UKFM Newbie

Postby FrenchJan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:28 am

Hi Chris. My Rheumatologist used her thumbs to press on certain parts of my body. These are called pressure points or tender points. Some of the areas she pressed on caused excruciating pain. In a normal person without fibromyalgia, the pressing wouldn't hurt. This, I believe, is how she reached her diagnosis of fibromyalgia. You can look this up on the internet and check your own body for these tender points. I'm no expert and maybe there are people with fibromyalgia that don't have these tender points but it does still seem to be a common method, used by Rheumatologists, in making a diagnosis. My Rheumatologist was a Doctor Sultan, who I saw privately, at the Yorkshire clinic in Bingley and this was only 2 months ago.
FrenchJan
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello