Change of medication

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Change of medication

Postby Gemmai80 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi all!
I visited the doctor today and he is changing my medication from Venlafaxine to Mirtazapine.
I have been on Venlafaxine for many years now and am worried about changing to a different type, I have got to wean of slowly and introduce the new ones, but I have suffered from withdrawal symptoms before and it's horrendous.
Is anyone else taking Mirtazapine or have taken it??
:shock:
Gemmai80
UKFM Newbie

Re: Change of medication

Postby UnderSiege » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi.

I've been on around half a dozen antidepressants over the years.
Venlafaxine... hmmm...
Well, I can tell you aside from being the most effective I've taken, it does come with such a cost as I never experienced with Prozac, citalopram and others...
I was married at the time I was prescribed Venlafaxine (as Effexor) and it really helped everything go very well even though my osteoarthritis was weighing heavily and along with other things was depressing the hell out of me.
All was well until it destroyed my libido and my cheating wife (who'd already been at it before the libido loss) decided it was a big issue as she wanted our marriage to work (as if she hadn't already almost destroyed it) and that sex (as if she wasn't already getting more than her fair share) was the key.
It was the Christmas break when she forced me to quit cold turkey or be divorced and made homeless (there were no GP's available to help and our home was paid for by her so no choice for me) So I quit and have never felt nor hope to feel again the likes of the nightmare of that withdrawal... no that it helped though... within 6 months I'd lost my job from the stress and abuse I got dished up by her and the marriage was over anyway.
Now she's doing fine with new blokey and has an amazing life and I am as un-ok as can be and new wife/girlfriend? Dream on!
Yes, I'm insanely jealous. There is no Karma.

Moral of the story? If quitting Venlafaxine, go easy, be careful and make sure you have plenty of support.

As for Mirtazapine, I'd say it was second or third best for me, so pretty good as far as antidepressants go, the only issue for me was drowsiness I think. However, having to live with my horrible, nasty family who are not far off my ex wifes standards for evil, I have quit Mirtazapine because it clashed with my multitude of other meds (together they made me too drowsy) and on the principle that I shouldn't be taking false happiness in pill form when the issues I have are inflicted on me by others...

Whatever happens though, best of luck and be careful getting off Venlafaxine because it can kick back hard.
UnderSiege
UKFM Member

Postby Gemmai80 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Wow UnderSiege, you have been through the mill!
May I ask how old you are?? I am 35 and this is all new to me.
I've reduced doses of Venlafaxine before, however if I've missed a dose it makes me feel dreadful!! So I'm not looking forward to the process lol.
I just hope my husband can bear with me through it all, it's so hard as he doesn't fully understand that I can look ok, but inside I'm aching like a bitch!!!
I do hope things have picked up for you a bit now.
Best wishes.
:lol:
Gemmai80
UKFM Newbie

Postby FionaS » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:53 am

If it is any consolation, I am doing just the same as you right now; started two weeks ago. It's horrible and today I am wishing I could be put into a coma until it is all over. I don't think there is a withdrawal effect I haven't got at the moment.
Down to a quarter of a 75mg tablet twice a day from 75mg twice a day, got to the point where I must not give up. Willing myself on and pleased that hubby is being kind to me!
FionaS
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello