Hello and question!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello and question!

Postby Padster » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:12 am

Hello :-)

I've just been "probably" diagnosed with FM, still in process of ruling out autoimmune issues (or deciding that they are unrelated), but all other tests have been negative. I've had back, neck and shoulder pain since my early 20s (now 47) - pretty much had no pain free days since then. Pain has recently got worse and spread to random areas of my body. I also experience pounding/ringing/whistling in my head and hypersensitivity to some noises/sounds (despite being partially deaf in my right ear). I get the fibro fog, confusion, can't find the words I want, forgetful etc. And have sleep interruption issues. So all sounds like FM so far.

I have loads of questions, but my first one is that I have a very high pain threshold, is that possible for an FM sufferer? The reason I know I have a high pain threshold is that I've had every treatment under the sun for my pain symptoms, from steroid injections to deep tissue massage and everything in between. I've always been told by those treating me that I have a high pain threshold. My hubby tells me I have asbestos fingers as he can't understand how I can put my hands in really hot dish water, or carry a hot plate etc when he can't touch it without an oven glove. From what I've read, people with FM tend to be hypersensitive to pain, a light touch can be excruciating. For me, I've had to ask massage therapists to apply more pressure rather than less because it's not touching the tightness in my muscles. A physio I used to see regularly, would say "are you sure?" when I asked him to turn up the level on his electro pulse machine (like a big, powerful tens machine) and tell me he's had grown men cry at that level, whilst I'm chatting away quite happily with my muscles contracting like crazy. I've never found pain killers to touch my muscle pain, but I have lived with it for over 20 years and pretty much been able to carry on with life as normal. It's only more recently (last year or so) that the other FM symptoms have surfaced. How does my high pain threshold fit with FM? Does everyone have hypersensitivity to pain or do some have the opposite, like me?

Really interested to know.

Thanks.
In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog
Padster
UKFM Member

Re: Hello and question!

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi Padster,

You bring up an interesting question. I always thought that my pain threshold was pretty good, but it seems that the longer I live with FM. the less that seems to be true. I have, like so many others on this board, have learned to live with a certain level of pain, with or without medication. But, my ability to recover from simple activities has decreased dramatically, I find that some things irritate more than others, (being a girl I refer to bra's), and some pain can send me through the roof when it hits. It can be as simple as a bear hug, to a shake of someone's hand, I find that depending on the day, any of these can be horrible.

Massage can help, and if you can tolerate it, I would suggest keeping it up. Again, for me, I find it depends on the day. On occasion it needs to be a soft touch, on others, a deep tissue massage is possible.

I think that FM is one of those conditions like the common cold. There is nothing common about it as we all suffer, but to a variety of degrees, with a mix of symptoms. I think this is why it is so hard to diagnose and treat. If one can tackle their worst symptom, and live with the rest to a certain degree, then maybe that is the best path that we will be able to walk.

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Padster » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:50 am

Thanks Queenie, I'm still not 100% convinced what I have is Fibro, but the doc is working on that assumption at the moment in the absence of any other diagnosis. I'm also pre-menopausal so it's hard to know which symptoms are coming from which condition!! Hot flushes and night sweats are a nightmare!

Certainly my symptoms do not seem anything like as severe as most people on here seem to have. I'm not incapacitated in anyway. Right now the worst part for me is my head. I can cope with pain pretty much anywhere in my body, but I've never suffered much from headaches and when I do get them, I am not good with that sort of pain! I'm getting headaches pretty much everyday at the moment, not blinding or migraine like, but just sharp and painful and that along with the pounding, thumping, ringing and whistling in my head/ears, is not much fun. I'm getting very easily irritated by what is probably just minor noise levels at work. I find I can't switch my head off and just concentrate on what I'm doing (which is, unfortunately, reviewing agreements so needs concentration!). All I seem to be able to do is hear other people's conversations, or their keyboards tapping, or papers shuffling, the printer running etc. It's driving me mad! I work in an open plan office so no escape, unless one of the bosses is out and I can sneak into their office for some peace and quiet!

So, going back to my mild symptoms, I guess that leads on to another question - does FM generally start off mild and get worse, or am I just lucky that my symptoms are mild and will stay that way?

Thanks
Padster
Padster
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:01 am

Hi again,

My symptoms started out with painful hands, to the point that a keyboard was my greatest enemy. I was poked and prodded and the term Rheumatoid Arthritis was bandied about until my FM diagnosis. I had suffered from the fatigue for so long that I had just accepted that was the way I was. Now, the pain spreads, it isn't necessarily just my hands, my arms, shoulders, neck, head, etc all the way down my back is bothersome. I also found that noise was an issue, but I had my own office, so I could shut the door most days and not have to deal with it. Frustrating, you bet, but any tool that helps you do what you need/want to do, should be used.

My disability, did not come for quite a while, and that is primarily linked to an incident that occurred last year. My walking, talking, and pain, fatigue and irritability have all been compounded. Yet, I do what I have to do, when I absolutely must. Pacing is something I am learning about, not ideal for a woman that burned the candle at both ends, but I am, like I said, learning to adjust to my body rather than the other way around.

Good luck with it all, and please keep us updated. We are all at different parts of our FM journey, and any help we can give, will be quickly given freely.

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Padster » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:16 am

Thanks again, Queenie! I guess I am hoping that this is just a blip and I don't really have FM! I've always been very active and fit (I was running sub-1hr 40 half marathons 3 or 4 years ago!), and can't bear the thought that if this gets worse even walking my dogs may become a chore instead of the pleasure it currently is. I am already finding that I get more tired on my walks and have even had to stop for a rest a couple of times recently. Haven't been running regularly for the last two years due to my back playing up.

It does sound like most people have started off with something long term and it's progressed and got worse over the years.

Thanks for your help and good wishes. I'll definitely be back! xx
Padster
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:52 pm

hi and welcome

as queenie already said all our journeys are different etc
that's what makes it so difficult to diagnose and predicted I guess

I used to do martial arts for many years , 2 - 3 times per week plus ballroom dancing couple of nights per week
loved it absolutely

nowadays just thinking about it makes me dizzy

regards pain threshold
lets say I loose a filling or as just happened the other day that part of my tooth fell off (bottom right 7) I get it fixed without injections
it's half a minute or so of pain and I prefer that to walking around half a day with half a numb face and I know that the job is done when I leave the dentist
different story with a root canal job of course

Lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby april.goddard » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:18 am

Hi everyone,
I have been living with Fybromyalgia for about 16 years now but only got this confirmed in march this year. I have been treated for this by other ailments e.g. I have had migraines the doctor told me to go to stop drinking caffeine - this has worked. I have now been told that I have oestio arthiris in my hands, Is this caused by Fybromyalgia?
Please excuse the spelling.
april.goddard
UKFM Newbie

Postby Padster » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:01 pm

fibro-lu wrote:regards pain threshold
lets say I loose a filling or as just happened the other day that part of my tooth fell off (bottom right 7) I get it fixed without injections
it's half a minute or so of pain and I prefer that to walking around half a day with half a numb face and I know that the job is done when I leave the dentist
different story with a root canal job of course

Lu

Thanks, Lu, that makes sense!
Padster
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello