[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Diagnosed after 20 years.

Diagnosed after 20 years.

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Diagnosed after 20 years.

Postby Mouse » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:01 pm

Hi I'm Mouse. I'm female and 53 years old.I'm a recently medically retired police officer (retired due to an eye problem not FM). I'm a moderator on a large police forum in my spare time and live with my hubby and 3 dogs. Our 4 kids have left home and we have 3 grandchildren.

I have had so many problems ongoing for over 20 years. FM was not really known when I first started suffering and I was told I had CFS. I always disputed this as I maintained my fatigue was caused by lack of sleep due to the pain. I was left on opiate pain killers as the only treatment for years, finally weaning myself off of them 8 years ago and decided that no one could help me and I would have to live my life with all the symptoms including chronic pain, skin problems, bowel and bladder problems, swallowing problems, palpitations, severe anxiety and depression etc etc etc. I just kept getting up, going to work and struggling to get through the day. As I've got older, this became more and more difficult, especially when I kept getting bursitis which made the pain even worse. I spent hours crying with pain at the end of the day and my anxiety was through the roof.

I moved to a new area recently and to a new GP practice and finally decided to revisit the problem and to my delight found my new doctor to be very keen to help. I was put on citalopram initially to get my anxiety under control and a lot of other tests and bloods were done.That and finding I had ALL of the tender spots gave me an FM diagnosis. I have been put on Gabapentin just this week as I can't have Amytriptline due to the Citalopram and am experiencing vastly reduced pain after just a few days, better sleep and more energy. I feel like my life is changing for the better and have joined the forum to speak to others with the condition and hopefully pick up tips for managing this illness. So good to meet you! x
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs a little clearer for easier reading xx
Mouse
UKFM Member

Re: Diagnosed after 20 years.

Postby TheHud » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:17 pm

Mouse, your story is almost identical to mine. I was finally diagnosed 12 months ago and am 53. We keep going and then we hit a very low point, have to take a breather and try sort ourselves out. I could not believe the help Lyrica (pregablin same as gabapentin but a newer drug) gave me within hours then days after feeling so much pain for so long. It takes the edge off, stops many of the spasms and cramps etc.

I also have eye problems came on suddenly at 44, optic nerves had been damaged and not sure why, still don't know but now see eye bods every 3-4 months.

I have struggled to deal with getting a diagnosis of something that cannot be cured. It caused depression with, me after initial relief that I was not mad/wimp/hypercondriac etc. I finally signed up for talking therapy and it has helped no end, all those years of resentment because we are in pain and can't say anything because we are too brave/stupid/confused. I dragged myself into work, a 80 minute drive in both directions for so many years, until I started to get too ill and it became noted.

Good luck, stay positive, as you are now :-D
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby Mouse » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:19 pm

Wow, so similar, and that also makes me feel a bit better! We were both in times where things like CFS were not taken seriously and felt we just had to cope as no one could help.
I'm not struggling with the diagnosis at all, in fact it's a total relief that my illness has a name after all these years, and as you say, I know I haven't been imagining things and I am NOT a hypochondriac. I'm also not suffering from something terminal, which believe me, has crossed my mind many a time.
I had talking therapy a few months ago due to my rising anxiety, and it was a great help, and I still use the things I learnt during it now to make sure I have things in perspective.
Thank you for your reply, I hope you continue to do as well as I am on your meds, and feel free to PM me if you want to chat!
Mouse
UKFM Member

Postby TheHud » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:23 am

TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:15 pm

Welcome to the forums :welcome: It's a relief that you finally got your diagnosis after all this time. You are certainly not alone. any questions just ask :) x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby Mouse » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:03 pm

Thank you! It's very much appreciated.
Mouse
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello