[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Getting to the bottom of things

Getting to the bottom of things

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Getting to the bottom of things

Postby EllieP » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:07 am

Hi,
I'm new to all this and at present haven't been diagnosed. I live in Chatteris, Cambridgeshire. Things started just over a year ago, i started with severe upper abdominal pain. Backwards and forwards between GP and Hospital with suspected gaul bladder issue or potential ulcer. Scans, and gastroscopy all clear though. Was prescribed codeine to manage pain, and also anti-depressants and sleeping tablets. I was suffering with anxiety and stress at the time following bereavement and major issues with my employer. As no one could seem to answer the problem with the pain, i decided it must be just stress related and tried to just manage. I ended up giving up my job due to ongoing issues with management not understanding depression or bereavement issues and hoped this would sort things out.

By summer, i was then having significant problems with my right hand, constant pain in the wrist and numbness, the GP referred me for nerve conductivity as suspected carpal tunnel, but again, all clear. This got worse and they then referred me for physio, but this seemed to just make things worse, my hand felt completely swollen all the time, a bit like my fingers didn't really belong to me. The upper abdominal pain was worsening again, and then i started get horrific pain during the night. Both sides down my rib cage and into my hips, waking me constantly through the night. I felt exhausted through the day, and started to struggle getting out of bed.

By Christmas i felt like i was starting to fall apart and starting to think i've gone a bit mad. I got what i thought was an ear infection in my left ear, so another trip to GP after 2 weeks of it not clearing up. She quickly glanced in my ear said it wasn't red, i was probably getting a cold and sent on my way and told to buy some ear calm. She didn't listen to me at all when i was trying to tell her about the other pains. The ear pain was awful, shooting up the side of my head, no pain relief even touched it. So another 3 weeks on, i finally gave up and went back to GP, i can barely stay awake all day, i only get about 3 hours at night and i'm becoming a bit of an old grump with my hubby, poor thing.

I saw a great GP this time, sat and listened to me, i broke down in tears with him. He listed a whole load of things that are possible, ME, CFS, FM and Polymyalgia (but thinks i'm probably too young for PM as i'm 43). He ordered bloods to exclude things and i had those done yesterday morning, follow up next week. I finally feel like i may be getting somewhere, although gather this will just be the beginning. He has put me back on anti-depressants and wants to discuss pain treatments etc once the blood results are in.

Gosh, sorry for going on so long, didn't know where to start so have just blurted everything out. I'd never really come across FM etc but after talking to GP and looking at a few websites, i suspect my symptoms are fitting the possibility. So just wanted to say hello to everyone and will see how things start to progress with the tests etc. Ellie
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split large paragraph into smaller ones for easier reading.
EllieP
UKFM Newbie

Re: Getting to the bottom of things

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:28 am

:welcome: to our little escape from it all Ellie :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

I've split your post into smaller paragraphs to make it a little easier to read as some of us struggle when it comes to reading large blocks of text. Smaller paragraphs mean we have a better chance of getting all the way thru posts, and hopefully being able to offer some helpful advice.

What you have been, and still are experiencing is sadly a very familiar situation. And whilst the past year will have probably felt like a decade or even longer to you, there is a kind of positive to it as your journey to finding a decent and understanding GP has been a relatively short one.

Hopefully, when you have your next appt, it is going to be the start of you finally getting some answers as it what is behind what you have been dealing with, and finding a suitable treatment plan for you.

When it comes to finding what makes the difference to you, some trial and error may be involved, and benefits from meds may not be felt immediately as a lot of the meds used in the management of a condition like FM can take a while to build up in your system and make their effects felt. Also, it can sometimes be the case that a particular med may not be suitable for you, or have very little effect. In a situation like that, it may be necessary to gradually reduce the dosage of the particular med until you are off it before starting another one, so some patience and persistance will probably be necessary as it all adds to the time it takes to find the right cocktail for you.

There is a lot of info and advice across the boards, so maybe have a bit of a looky and a read of things. You may come across some suggestions that you want to know more about, or try to see if they could make a difference to you.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Re: Getting to the bottom of things

Postby EllieP » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:58 am

Thank you FluppyPuffy.

Sorry for the lengthy intro. Think once i started i couldn't stop.

Got phone call 6.30pm last night from Doctor, bloods came back, all fine except very low folate levels. So going in on Monday to start sorting that out. After initial panic have noticed that a lot of people seem to have same issue, so feel a little less worried about it this morning.

This site is providing me with some really good advice and information. So glad i found it.

Ellie :)
EllieP
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello