New to the forum

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New to the forum

Postby bearhug » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Hi,
My name is Claire, I'm 53 & I've had symptoms of FM for several years. I was finally diagnosed with FM 3 yrs ago by a Rheumatologist along with osteoarthritis in my spine, knees, neck & shoulder. I've continued to work, but have found this increasingly difficult due to a demanding job (nurse) and the effects of FM, even with reduced hours. I'm currently recovering from spinal surgery and had a flare of FM around 2 months ago which is still persisting and making life jolly miserable :(

I joined the forum to meet people who understand how I feel & to share hints and tips which may make life a little easier and bearable.

I have 2 cats, a husband and an 18 yr old son (the cat's get the gist of how I feel with FM!). I love gardening and am looking forward to getting my garden back into shape when I get the all clear from surgeon :-)

Hoping that this year will be a good one.
bearhug
UKFM Newbie

Re: New to the forum

Postby Moosik » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Hi Claire
I have had the symptoms for a few years now and was finally diagnosed last week. I am trying to read as much about this as I can to see how I can help myself. I am a training manager for a big charity. I work full time and have been struggling over the last few months. I have had a cold this past week so have been off sick (the aches and pains are horrible, probably because im a bit ubeer theweather). I remember times when the common Cold was nothing and I would have never rang in sick. I am looking forward to going back to work next week but also worried as my manager wants to meet with me to do my back to work interview. I have thought about printing off a leaflet to give him but I'm not sure.
I also have two cats :)
Moosik
UKFM Newbie

Postby bearhug » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:58 pm

Hi Moosik,
It's good to read up as much as you can because the symptoms vary so widely form person to person. I would stick to UK websites when you are searching as they will be more relevant. I've got quite a lot of info from this site and also from Arthritis research.My Rheumatologist was really helpful and gave me lots of information and how to self help when I couldn't tolerate the medications tried. It really depends on how your doctor views the condition as to how helpful their likely to be.

Having had such a positive experience with my Rheumatologist, I was left very disappointed by a visit to the gp recently who basically said it 'was all in my head' and we all get aches and pains!

Back to work interview would be a good opportunity to be open and frank with your manager and give him/her information on the condition and any adjustments you may require with regards to work. There is an excellent post by Shazq - called 'one to show the non-believers', you can find it in the board index under living with fibromyalgia. You could also try NHS choices website.

Hope you feel brighter soon & hope all goes well with your manager.
bearhug
UKFM Newbie

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi Claire :-D Welcome to the Fibromyalgia forums :welcome: Ask any questions and we'll do our best to answer, we're a friendly and understanding bunch! I also have cats and I agree they understand fibro more than humans.

Keep smiling :-)
Claire
x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello