This is all new to me

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

This is all new to me

Postby MelMars94 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:23 pm

Hello, I am a recent diagnostic of Fibromyalgia. I'm 22 years old and have had a lot of trouble for the past 4 years with it being diagnosed. 6 weeks ago I got the official diagnosis. I've suffered for 4 years (if not longer) with IBS, migraines and anxiety. I've recently been achy, sleepy and lathargic. So i went to the drs. Many blood tests, meetings and record takings and ta dah! But, I know nothing of the illness other than my back/spine aches all day, I cant sleep well and my body doesn't like to do stuff. I just want some advice as the dr has given me nothing.
MelMars94
UKFM Newbie

Re: This is all new to me

Postby LindyM66 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:09 am

Hi Mel

When I was diagnosed, I didn't know too much either. The best thing is to educate yourself on Fibro. There's loads to read on the internet. Of course, it affects people in different ways, and to a different degree.
You have to learn how it affects you, and what pace yourself. What you can/can't do, and what you have to do differently.
Are you receiving meds? Do you work - if so, tell your employer about your diagnosis. Inform your family and friends - ask them to educate themselves about Fibro, so they have an understanding of what you are trying to manage.
Find out what help is out their for you. For example, social work can do a home assessment, and identify what they can do to make life easier for you.
Each day can present differently.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:20 pm

Thats the thing, it happened to me many years ago. I came away with just a leaflet :-? so i found the forums and started getting information and advice on them. Its was a great starting point for me. This is why i moderate and help others just like you.

In the beginning its very tough! you have to work out what medications help you, whether you need or respond to hands on therapy like physio, massage and Osteopathy etc...

Its working out limitations, pacing, reducing stresses and finding triggers.

Im afraid tho alot of this is trial and error and the only way to work it out. This in itself can take time.

There are also talking therapies that can help with the above like CBT in chronic pain. You can ask GP for refferal.

The forum is useful for tips, information, advice and support.

You can also ask to be referred to a pain clinic whom will help you.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby MelMars94 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:03 pm

Thank you both!
I must admit my family and friends have been super supportive, giving me loads of information. I've signed up to do yoga and trying out a massage next week.
Mine is mostly my lower back. Its always been weak but it aches (sort of like a constant tooth ache) and all joints hurt.
Work are ok, had a lot of discussions and some disagreements, which meant HR got involved. My job is a mismatch of desk based, late nights, early starts and moving really heavy objects. They've helped out for now but are being to punish me for my illness so looking for another job.
Before I was diagnosed I had never even heard of it. Its just impacted me in a way that I don't know how to cope or deal with it. I'm glad I found this site! X
MelMars94
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello