New To The Forum

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New To The Forum

Postby Peanut12 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:47 am

Hi all , my name is sue , I'm 69 and have fibromyalgia and parkinsons, was diagnosed with fibro 10 years ago and parkinsons July this year , Iv found out that some symptoms seem to be the same ,and a little confused , so I'm interested to find out about the painside if things , with fibro , and make new friends ,
Peanut12
UKFM Newbie

Re: New To The Forum

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi Peanut & :welcome:

Lots of illnesses can mimick that of Fibro.

The pain in mainly muscular. This is from stiffness and general widespread muscle aches and pains.

Joint pain when the muscles stiffen around the joints. Nerve pain when trigger points are active.

Pain from muscle spasms.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby yapton » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:07 pm

Hi, my name is Graham and I live in Bognor Regis. I was diagnosed with FM 4 years ago following numerous tests, scans, X-Rays, blood. I also suffer from IBS, insomnia, restless legs, muscle pain and cramp around neck and shoulders {thought I was having a heart attack on occasions} and severe pain down my sciatic nerve from hip to toes. These symptoms are typical of Fibromyalgia. I don't always get them all at once excepting insomnia which gets worse. Many of the symptoms can be misunderstood for other medical problems which could be dangerous . I have tried massage, chiropractors and prescribed drugs without success. I do exercise every day even when in pain as I cannot allow this miserable disease to confine me to a chair. I use hot water bottle for hip and lower back pain. The hot weather in UK and a holiday in Spain this summer eased my joint and muscle pain, I hope to hear from other sufferers with any ideas they may have.
yapton
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:33 pm

:welcome: Yapton

I see you have tried hands on therepy. There are many types. I have regular trigger point therepy, have you tried this? I found it more beneficial as it gets right into the muscle and helps relieve stiffness making joints less restrictive and me being able to breathe!! Of course its only short term so regular sessions are needed for maintenance.

Its quiet a harsh therepy and it does hurt alot! :( but the benefits out way the pain. I found taking pain meds and a muscle relaxant or hot bath half an hour before to sooth muscles and help relax them down a little so the physio can get into the muscle better instead of using the hammer & chisel :yikes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby LindyM66 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:32 am

Hi Sue and Graham

I think pain affects us differently, however, I've noticed that there are alot of us who suffer from similar or the same painful areas.
Mine seems to be widespread, and constant. Certainly, the meds do help, and allow me to function.
Graham, I find heat helps me too. I use my hot water bottle - I even take it to work! Have you tried those self adhesive heat pads? Home Bargains sell them for 99p, for 2. Work an absolute treat. Another great buy was a heated car seat. Just slips over the car seat and plugs into the lighter/power socket. 10 quid from ebay. I bought another one, and my hubby cut the lighter adapter fitting off, and put a plug on, and I use it at home. The difference it makes, having constant heat, is great. It's as if the heat prevents me from stiffening up.

Much Love to you both
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello