A big hello to you all!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

A big hello to you all!

Postby Beanie615 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:49 am

Hi all, I guess you can tell I'm new here? Lol

I'm Beanie and I was diagnosed (in a round-about way) with Fibromyalgia on Thursday (1st December) after booking in an emergency appointment with my doctor. I've had most of my symptoms since I gave birth 3 years ago - started with extreme knee pain at 16, then hip and knee pain after giving birth at 17 along with back pain, then chest pain) and I find that the more stressed I am, the worst my pain is for me to deal with. I booked the emergency appointment due to left arm tingling/numbness/heaviness etc and right shoulder pain, so I then followed up with my other symptoms which resulted in my doctor saying I have fibromyalgia.

I have researched Fibromyalgia since my diagnosis and it does all make sense now why I've had all these constant pains for the past few years. However, I still don't know what it means for me in the long run? I'm already on high rate ESA due to Depression, Anxiety and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) but can Fibromyalgia be added to that at all? I already take Sertraline along with Propranolol (for my migraines) so I'm not sure I can even have tramadol because of the Sertraline? I was given Co-Codamol due to severe hip pain before I was diagnosed so I'm thinking surely I'd just have to start taking that regularly instead of them saying I don't need it - despite me being physically in pain when seeing a doctor.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to getting to know you all. Sorry if I rambled or didn't make sense in any of it either (bit of a foggy mind lately).
Beanie615
UKFM Newbie

Re: A big hello to you all!

Postby perseus » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:26 pm

Hi Beanie. I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but glad to have you with us and I'm sure you will find lots of help on here. Being young gives you a better chance to stabilize or improve your symptoms over time.

See: http://www.prohealth.com/library/showar ... ibid=15168

You may wish to look over the other parts of our site which covers many of the points you raise

http://ukfibromyalgia.com/index.php

http://ukfibromyalgia.com/pages/treatments.php

There's also a section on Benefits here

http://ukfibromyalgia.com/pages/support ... nefits.php

Regards

Stephen
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby Beanie615 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Thank you very much for your reply and links. I didn't think that I could be diagnosed with Fibromyalgia being only 20 myself. It is, however, comforting to know this forum is here to get help from. I will take a look at those links straight away. Thanks again :)
Beanie615
UKFM Newbie

Postby LindyM66 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:01 am

Hi Beanie

FM affects people differently, although many can have similar symptoms.
Learning how it affects you, is helpful, as you will identify your limits, and learn how to take care of you. That's so important. FM is a lifelong, chronic condition, and each day can be different.
If your mobility, and/or ability to care for yourself has been affected, you may be entitled to PiP.
I have widespread pain, and take medication, which helps greatly. Doesn't take away the pain completely, but enough, most days, to allow me to function. Although my level of functioning is not what it was. I take gabapentin and tramadol.
I work full-time at present, and lucky enough to manage my own diary, and can also work from home. If I couldn't do this, I think it would be a very different story and I would have to reduce my hours.
On the advice from my physio, I applied for PiP - I received standard rate for the care part, nothing for mobility, as I can walk 50 yards with my crutch. I also applied for a "blue badge", and got that. Just last week, a disabled parking space, was painted on the parking bay outside my home. Ive had a social work assessment, and they supplied me with risers for the sofa, a comfy pressure cushion for my butt ( thats where my worst pain is - butt cheeks), they're putting a banister on the staircase, and I have been granted an 80% grant to have a wetroom put in.
These things can make such a difference and make life easier. It's not that I cant have a bath or shower - it's the fact that I struggle getting in and out of it. So, it's not only about the things a person can't do, but things they find difficult.
My advice - read. Educate yourself about the condition. Ask your friends and family to do this too - so they are aware of what it is, and how it affects you.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Postby Beanie615 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:26 am

Hi Lindy,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. My mum, although not suffering Fibromyalgia herself, knows a lot about it so is able to advise me appropriately in different situations. (She was actually the one to tell me to visit the doctor recently, luckily she did!)

I have done a ton of research and know roughly what my symptoms are and what triggers them, however I was struggling with how it would affect my ESA, if at all. I've yet to go further with my diagnosis via the doctors but right now I'm just relieved to have a diagnosis - as now I don't feel like I'm just imagining things.

I do have a few questions though? - Can Fibromyalgia get worse over time and if so would it be so bad as to make someone wheelchair-bound for the rest of their life? This is one of my biggest fears regarding FM and I apologise if I come across ridiculous with the question. Also, how would I go about filling in an FM diary? I.e what things are doctors looking for? Pain rating, when the pain is worst etc?

Thanks again for your reply. I hope your medication continues to work for you.
Beanie615
UKFM Newbie

Postby LindyM66 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi Beanie

You know, I read alot online and various forums, and scared the sh*t out of myself by reading about some peoples experiences, such as having to give up work, using a wheelchair etc.
I guess it depends on how a person is affected by FM and how well they respond to any treatments. Some people do say that their symptoms have progressed. Mines have, although I didn't know it was FM until I was diagnosed this year. I maintain the symptoms well most of the time, with meds.
My advice would be not to think too far ahead. Just learn to manage the symptoms as best you can.

Much Love
Lindy x
LindyM66
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello