[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Newbie just diagnozed with Fibromyalgia

Newbie just diagnozed with Fibromyalgia

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newbie just diagnozed with Fibromyalgia

Postby Butterfly » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:38 pm

Hi there, yesterday I was diagnozed with Fibromyalgia. I've had psoriatic arthritis for a few years now and it's been a mystery why I've been in so much pain with no swelling or evidence in my bloods. Things have just got worse and worse with unbearable pain and fatigue. Yesterday I went to see my Rheumatologist and he told me I have Fibromyalgia. I've read a few websites and leaflets and so much now makes sense. Someone on a PA forum recommended this forum to me so I've now registered and saying hello. I look forward to reading through the posts and getting more information.
Butterfly
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newbie just diagnozed with Fibromyalgia

Postby shazq » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:40 pm

:welcome:

Sorry to hear you have fibro.

Any questions you have just ask. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Butterfly » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:45 pm

One thing I don't understand is why I am being put on the anti-depressant, can't remember what it's called but beings with A ending in something like ...lite. Sorry, my heads all over the place today :) I don't have depression. I have had this once before in my life after a lot of trauma and I know the signs. This is so definitely physical. I have physical pain and feel totally exhausted. Yes I have been tearful at times but I'm sure this is from sheer frustration and boredom being stuck at home when I was signed off sick and nothing to think about but the pain and tiredness. I went back to work on half days and it's a real struggle but great to have the human interaction and feel I'm part of the team again.

thanks

Tracyx
Butterfly
UKFM Newbie

Postby rosie66 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:53 pm

Hi Butterfly, i was diagnosed about 5weeks ago,and i was put on anti depressants,i was put on them because i couldn't sleep properly,it has taken a few weeks for the tablets to kick in,but they are working, i off work for a number of weeks,went back last week, but now i only work 2 mornings a week, there are others on here who can advise you better than me, as you will find out we are all different xx :mrgreen:
rosie66
UKFM Regular

Postby drapsey » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:56 am

:welcome: Morning Tracey
Sounds like your extra med is amitryptiline which although is an anti depressant is used to help with sleep problems. Although your not depressed it works as a co-analgaesic along with your other stuff and in my case really works. I too was reluctant to take it because of the stigma etc but; for instance, I take diazepam regulary too. We all know that people take that for a sleeping pill but I take it to release the spasms that fibro blesses us with and as a bonus get a good night under the duvet too.
Its going to be quite a journey for you over the next weeks/months so fasten your seat belt and dont forget to jump on board the forum when you need to. I have found theres always some one there and wish I had known about it sooner.
Good Luck
Drapsey
drapsey
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:06 am

Hi and :welcome: to the site... hope you find us helpful and friendly, we do try :D As said, antid's like amis are given to help you sleep and they supposedly help with the pain :? Do be careful as they can make you very drowsy, or not work at all :lol: SOme people find they help a lot though.

Gill x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:54 am

HI & :welcome:

Most people start off on the Ami's

Other anti-depressants can be prescribed not only to help with sleep but also nerve pain and any depression/anxiety symptoms.

They can also relax the muscles down to as they calm down the nervous system
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Butterfly » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:05 pm

Thanks everyone, that helps explain it a lot. I don't think my sleep pattern is that bad. I have found I'm going to bed later and later but generally sleep quite well. I've always slept like a log and used to always sleep through the night. I do now wake up several times but I can go straight back to sleep but I wake up unrefreshed and in agony as I'm sure you all do too. So maybe I think I'm sleeping but the quality is poor.

With my arthritis I've had years now of morning pain and stiffness but with this you get the pain but it doesn't go away and gets worse as the day goes on, probably because doing things tires the muscles.

The funny thing is I suspected a while back I had this and you'd think I'd now be relieved to have it confirmed so at least I know what I've got but I'm all fuzzy about it now. I've got a friend coming to stay on Thursday to Saturday as we've got tickets for Coldplay on Friday and I dreading it now. I'm so worried what she'll think of the state of my flat, things have really gone to pot and I just don't have the energy to do anything about it and I'm really worried how I'm going to get through the day on Friday. I went to another friend's last weekend for a BBQ and ended up having to lie down with a hot water bottle.
Butterfly
UKFM Newbie

Postby gillshutt » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:07 am

If your friend is that bothered about the state of your flat then she's not a true friend IMO
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Return to Where to Say Hello