[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hello ...

Hello ...

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello ...

Postby Joanne C » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:26 pm

I saw a physio on Friday, he said he is very confident that I have fibromyalgia. He poked me in various places (back of neck, shoulders etc) and I nearly went through the roof each time as it hurt soo much!!!

It explains a lot really, Ive been having problems with my calf muscles seizing up when walking, back of my knee, shoulder, wrist, lower back, and people are always telling me I look "shattered".

I am waiting for my doctor to refer me to a pain clinic (but I dont hold out much hope of that happening any time soon) and am a bit scared as the physio said "theres no reason why you cant live a normal life" ... what did that mean ...? I read an article once where a lady had it very bad, and was about to go into a wheelchair fulltime - does it get worse ...? How do you cope with the tiredness - at the mo I work full time..
Joanne C
UKFM Member

Re: Hello ...

Postby shazq » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:44 pm

HI Joanne.
:welcome: Sorry to hear you might have fibro.

Fibro can get worse pain wise, there are lots of people who do get around by wheelchair, walking stick & crutches, but that does not mean that you will need these as well.

Fibro is wide spreed pain and affects the nerve endings, your muscles feel like you have run a marthon.

Have a read around the forum, it will take time to get your head around it.
This is a friendly forum and there are lots of us to offer support and give good advice.
Any questions ask away.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby motherelephant » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:47 pm

Hello Joanne it can be a bit daunting when you first get to know you have fibro .I have had it since I was 12 I am now 52 .I still manage to work although its very hard sometimes.I really struggle with fatigue but try to be good and pace myself .Some days I have to just give into it and rest .We are all different some have it really bad with all the symptoms others only have it mild and continue with their lives although in a watered down version.You have to work out what is best for you .reading some of the posts on here will help.Ask any questions you want someone will try to answer .Hope you get some help from the professional bodies out there ,you might have to push a bit .
Looking forward to reading your posts .Big cottonwool hug Motherelle :hugs: :welcome:
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:04 pm

I met someone today who'd been told to think of diabetes. If diabetes in undiagnosed, untreated or uncontrolled it can be serious and debilitating with lots of symptoms. The aim with treatment (both medications and lifestyle) is to get it so well managed that it does not impact too much on you leading a relatively normal life. It will never go away however and you may have bad patches or have further problems later on and you will always have to work at managing it.

Fibro is similar, except that whereas all doctors know about diabetes and how to treat it, hardly any know about Fibro. So getting to that stage of it being well managed is a lot harder. Plus whereas diet is the main lifestyle factor for diabetes, stress management and exercise are for Fibro and they're a lot harder to incorporate into your life!
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:12 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum :hugs:

Gill x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Return to Where to Say Hello