[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - contacts appreciated

contacts appreciated

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

contacts appreciated

Postby Izzy44 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:28 pm

I am retired and have coped with fibromyalgia (plus other bits) for a few years and would like to know suggestions for exercise which would help, water aerobics is great but our baths keep the water too cold for me! Also is there a group or people suffering, living near me (Weymouth S Coast) who would like to meet or keep contact. Don't know about you, but my body feels older than my mind and always having been active, leaves me frustrated. I tried finding a self help group in my area but no luck.
Izzy44
UKFM Newbie

Re: contacts appreciated

Postby shazq » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:00 pm

Hi Izzy :welcome: to the forum.

I done a living with pain course a while back, we did cover exercises.
Have you seen one of those exercise balls ? (rubber ones), they are brill to sit on, you can do gentle bobbing up and down and side to side, there are a few different exercises to try with them.

Another one is get a giant elastic band and put it under your feet then lift it up with your hands, again there are a few different things you can do with them. (the physio dept sell them.).

Any questions just ask. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby gillshutt » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Have a look in th esupport groups board.. the top post has links to check if ther eis a support group near you.

:welcome: by the way :D Gill x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby miniminx » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:57 pm

Hello Izzy
I have only just joined the forum myself, every one seems really kind and welcoming. Have you ever tried yoga it can be a very gentle exercise and helps keep thing moving.

Welcome from miniminx :welcome:
miniminx
UKFM Member

Postby Deegill » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Hi, welcome to the board, i dont know of any support groups in your area, but the suggestions on here for exercises are good, if you suffer from sciatica, stand straight, hands on hips and lean your top half back, or you could do this lying down, pushing your front up of floor/bed.

to keep hips strong, lie on bed, knees up, and move them from side to side. or, both knees up, move one knee to the side and lower to bed or to where it is more comfy.

one for back and knees, also good for tum. lie on back, bring one knee up with foot on bed, then slide foot down along bed, then back up, then do for other leg.

lie on side, legs bent, raise one bent knee to ceiling and lower. then you could lie on side, top leg bent behind other, raise the other either straight legged or bent to ceiling, good for the inner thighs. but do take these ones slowly.

another one i like, and must start doing again, great to flatten the tum, good for buttucks and back. lie on back, knees bent towards ceiling, arms down the side for support, tuck tummy in and raise buttocks from bed, hold, then down.

If you ever want to email me privately, let me know and i'll put my addy in yuor inbox, just just for exercise, for anything, general chit chat, rant, cry, laugh etc.

Denise x
A smile a day keeps the doctor away!

Denise xx
Deegill
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:28 pm

Be very careful with the sciatica exercises as it depends what's causing it as to how effective na dalso how damaging it can be. As someone who gets sciatica I know I have 2 kinds one 'ordinary' and one caused by my degenerative discs. If I did those exercises with a disc flare I'd be layed up for a week.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Return to Where to Say Hello