will my daughter get FM?

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

will my daughter get FM?

Postby Helen Marie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:55 pm

Hi all, I'm new, DX about 2 months ago after 9 really horrible years during which i had a lumbar puncture and 2 brain scans (all showed white spots at front of brain, nothing to worry about, nothing else) and was told it was migraines, sometimes with head ache and sometimes just the aura. I just carried on relentless, a few lots of anti-d and amitriptylene (good and pain free but was depressed so finished) suffered the pain, cried tears, kept trying everything i could to help. Went back to docs 3 months ago after a really painful and difficult summer, had all sypmtoms written down and he told me to get some excercise!! I patiently told him that he was over simplifying my issues, that i try to do yoga, use tens machines, get massage, cycle when i can and that i had tried all sorts of herbal remedies - he grudgingly made a referral to musculoskeletal and i got a dx!! I was patted on the back for my temendous efforts at tackling the symptoms, and referred to the pain management clinic -appt not yet arrived.

Following the shock and feeling of giving up - I have now arrived back where i was mentally, relentless in my efforts to help myself (mostly for my familys sake) but now i have also removed the fear of pain, i can get thru it, it will go away sometime or change, its nothing to fear. thats great for me.

What is now bugging me is that my 11 year old daughter is complaining of pain - non specific. Has lots of headaches (glasses prescription upto date , approaching hormonal stage possibly?) but has had 3 episodes of backache that has caused her to limp in severe pain, each time lasted a few months and the final time the doc sent for xrays and mri scan (thanks doc) which were thankfully clear. she has super flexible joints and the docs thought that might be why she gets pain, maybe landing funny after a jump - ie she can overarch her back, bend fingers back to her hand, toes back to feet etc.

She is on lots of medications for severe astma so they could be the cause?

just wondering is she maybe gonna have fm ? can i help her now?

my other daughter seems totally fine :)

thanks
after 9 years of FM .... you'd think I would have the hang of it by now :s
Helen Marie
UKFM Member

Re: will my daughter get FM?

Postby lullabybunny1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:54 am

I don't know if you daughter will get it.. Im sure tomorrow someone will reply and they will be able to answer you.

Just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the forum. I am sara-louise from Newcastle i am 19 and still waiting to be diagnosed

:hugs: (gentle hugs)
lullabybunny1
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:32 am

Hello :welcome: the forum.

You daughter could be showing signs of fibro. :dunno: Your best to go Have a chat to your GP, they will be able to have a look at your daughter and advice what to do next.

Good luck. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby pinksandblues » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:19 am

Hi strangely i have been having the same concerns for my 10 year old son , he has episodes of pain in legs and anywhere really that he may have exherted in P E or playing at school , he has increadibly flexible joints to the point you go urrr :lol: when he shows you what he can do , but he too has been on Asthma meds since he was about 18 mnts old and his diet is shocking as he is Autistic and has a lot of issues with foods ... i wounders if his pain was due to a difficency due to his diet or if its the flexibllity of the joints or develping FM .. i really dontknow ? wendy :)
pinksandblues
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:18 am

Hi

I've been concerned about my youngest daughter who's 11. She is so flexible, it's unbelievable what she can do. We joke that's she's made out of rubber!

She takes no medicines but does have exma but doesn't have steroids. I keep thinkng she might have this hypermobility that's mentioned on here. I don't have it I'm opposite have tight and short muscles, I'd never heard of it before.

I'm going to take her to docs as soon as she's complaining of pain
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:20 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. My son also has bad back pain when he is having a growth spurt, he also started to get migraines when the hormones kicked in. I too have days when I think he may be getting fibro but, as long as he has more good days than bad, can :hugs: get out and see his mates, in't off school too much, I try not to worry... there's nothing much I can do about it either way and I don't want to worry him about it.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Helen Marie » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks so much for all your replies!!

I havent mentioned my concerns about my daughter to anyone because I dont want to make any issues out of it, or create a situation where there may not be one.

I will look at it now as a possibility and at least I can sign post her if and when the need arises. Its been 6 months since the last serious back problem and i try to pass the other aches and pains off as growing pains. her asthma meds are quite strong and muscle spasm and cramp is a listed side effect.

Its been good to talk, I feel like i dont want to burden or go on about it all with family and friends.

My sister has FM and my cousin has MS, so i am thinking theres a gene somewhere in the family.

Thanks again xx

ps hypermobility ... yes that was the word I was looking for, it is very weird seeing limbs and digits being moved to unnatural positions :shock:

:grouphug:
after 9 years of FM .... you'd think I would have the hang of it by now :s
Helen Marie
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:34 am

Hypermobility is no joke, but don't worry your kids too much. Many kids grow out of their hypermobility with no issues but any hypermobility, even if it doesn't become Hypermobility Syndrome, is a risk factor for developing Fibro.

Specific physiotherapy can be extremely helpful in managing hypermobility and the younger this starts the better. It's all about not straining the joints through exercise, but building up muscles to support them. Learning to stretch gently is also helpful but they may need some help wth someone experienced in treating hypermobile people to learn this as learning how to stretch muscles and not just push the joint is a bit of an art when you're hypermobile! Learning that pushing the joints can cause damage later on is very important, especially if children have "trick" joints - it might be funny now, but it won't be if it starts to hurt later!

Back issues could be hyperlordosis (excess curvature of the lower spine) or a few other things. When you're hypermobile, it's hard to keep your body in alignment so back issues are common.

If they develop more pain, myofascial release techniques will help - hypermobility is a nightmare for causing myofascial restrictions as it's so easy to stress the muscles when your joints won't stay put!

Stress management now will also help them.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby ladymanvers » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:56 am

Hi Helen Marie!
Welcome!!! :hugs:
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:49 am

Hello Linzworld

are you saying that I should take my daughter to docs to have her looked at. She can wrap her legs round her neck and alsorts, but she doesn't get any pain.

Or should I wait till she starts complaining!
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:56 am

Up to you, but I would imagine the doctor would say it's no issue if there's no pain and she'll probably grow out of it anyway.

Maybe just try encouraging her gently to not mess around too much with body and to do strenthening exercises (pilates is excellent)?
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby hamstergirl » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:11 pm

Hi

I dont think i'll take her yet, its only a worry at the back of my mind, not said anything to her or my husband.

I invested £300 (or rather my husband did) on a pilate machine. I got mine from Argos when they sold them last year but QVC sell them. Cant believe how much of a difference this as made to me. Its gentle exercise that i can do on a bad day. I think i might encourage my Daughters to use it.
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby andy12720 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:15 pm

fibro can apparently have a genetic predesposition (think i spelled that right) could be just growing pains as you suspect although on a bad note my mother, sister and myself have fibro and we rather suspect my grandad had it although he is no longer with us to question. i would advise a visit to the docs and keep any eye out for the other symptoms. best wishes and hopefully its not fibro regards andy.
andy12720
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi

Yes I agree I think it can be hereidatory (sorry for spelling). My brother suffers will ill health. He doesn't sleep and I think he's got fm even though he his undiagnosed but it took me 15 years to get one.

My daughter has been drawing a lovely pic for about 3 hrs and now complaining that her forearm hurts. I'd be devastated if she suffers like me but don't and am not going to show my concern yet.

My dad had ill health all his life and died young at 56.
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby gill » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:02 pm

Yes it is a worry......My 8 yr old had a viral thing end Nov,and since then has been complaining of weakness in his legs,tiredness and sometimes if i put my arm around him or stroke his head he cries,and says it hurts.Even though ive touched him only gently.my oldest girl at 30 has been diagnosed with m.e.for a year,and I am convinced my mum had fibro,althought she was only diagnosed with arthritis.Im trying not to say anything in front of my son,but will monitor how he goes(i thought it may be a bit of post viral fatigue.)....Gill.
gill
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello