[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Newbie Gary-Hello

Newbie Gary-Hello

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newbie Gary-Hello

Postby geester007 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:28 am

Hi there everyone!!Nice to meet you all. I am a 26 year old male living in South London. I was diagnosed with Fibro last March after several months of diagnosing by the doctors.It started with a pain on one of my arms one morning- a short sharp pain in the inside of my elbow that woke me up. I thought it was maybe a strain from over pushing myself in the gym with the weights so I stayed away from the gym for a week/2 weeks to see if the pain would go away but it didnt. So...I ended up booking an appointment with the doctor and went through the usual story of blood tests, urine tests, x-ray scans until finally I was told I had fibromyalgia.

Since I was diagnosed back in March I have been to a diatrition who knew alot about fibro. He told me I was a 'protein' type and that I needed to fill my body with more protein than carbs. A typical meal I eat is made up of 70 percent protein(fish/chicken/steak) and 30 percent carbs (potatoe/veg). I also have 6-7 jars of vitamins and minerals i take daily and also take a protein shake occasionally.

I believe my fibromyaglia to be quite mild but Im not sure what the different levels of fibromyaglia actually are. I can walk fine , I go to the gym 4-5 times a week, work isnt a problem and i play football every sunday. Yes, I get pains between my fingers, my legs and arms and neck and face but there not very bad pain- just annnoying to be honest. Im worried about the future for me and whether this will get worse with time as I get older. Ive heard very bad stories on the internet of people not being able to walk very far and it scares me alot. I love my sport and I am a very active person and I dont know what id do if I couldnt do it anymore.

Gary
geester007
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newbie Gary-Hello

Postby gillshutt » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:39 am

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum, sorry you have FM though.

There's no saying how it will affect you in the future, most of us get worse over time but if you can find effective treatment that should help. Just because you have FM doesn't mean you are going to end up in a wheelchair. Exercise is good for you, just don't over do it. :hugs:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:08 am

Keep exercising! :) It may prevent you from getting worse - exercise may help protect the brain from Fibro.

Do you have widespread pain and widespread hypersensitivity to pain? If not, I would question the diagnosis (as you have to have those 2 to be diagnosed properly with Fibro). There are other conditions, such as myofascial pain which doctors often get confused with (especially as many medical texts still haven't updated that myofascial pain and fibro are NOT the same thing, but many people with Fibro also get myofascial pain).

If it is Fibro, there's no way of knowing how you will do in the future. Thyere's a lot you can be doing now to improve your chances though - exercise, stress management, addressing sleep issues proactively, getting myofascial release if needed (it's common to need this with Fibro but it isn't available onthe NHS), etc.

Did you really see a dietician (not a nutritionist) for that advice?
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby geester007 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:11 am

Thanks everyone for your kind advice.

I went to a nutrition!not a dietrition. sorry my mistake! I have pain/in legs,arms,back face- everywhere really but not to an extend where it effects me greatly. I have tendor areas around the body if i press deeply but not great pain.

I can't push myself quite as much in the gym as I use to but Im still doing ok for myself. I feel so much better after a workout. I am a pretty muscular guy from playing sports and going to the gym so im hoping my muscle strength may help fight the fibro.

I will definately think about getting another diagnostic. But how would I go about doing this properly and getting some proper tests done? I must admit the doctor was pretty quick with the diagnostic....didnt have too many tests done to me.

GARY :)
geester007
UKFM Newbie

Postby gillshutt » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:41 am

Being male means your tender points won't be so tender and, I would imagine that being muscular will add to that. A rheumatologist is the usual way to go for testing for fibro although some people get dxed by a knowledgable neuro or even their gp. If they did the tender point tests then the chances are it's FM, but you should have been tested for other illnesses first, problems like arthritis or lupus should be ruled out before you get an FM dx.

Gill x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:30 am

A quick route would be to get a private appointment with someone like Prof Davies (I see you're in London and he has a London clinic) who is very experienced in Fibro. He doesn't rely completely on the tender point test but will look at your symptom history, etc. Fwiw though I don't think being muscular will help much on the TP test - if anything it means less padding! :)

Sensitivity to pain (hyperalgesia) is what the tender point test looks for and its a core symptom of Fibro. But you can notice this in real life situations more accurately than a one-off tender point test - for example, one thing that made me pursue a diagnosis was that suddenly I started being in extreme pain for a lot longer if I did something as simple as knock my leg on my desk and people hugging me or gently slapping me on the back was excruciating.

Yeah I though it must have been a nutritionist who gave you that advice. Dietician is a protected term (like physiotherapist) that you have to be properly qualified to use. Nutritionist is a term that can be used by anyone with no proper training or qualifications and frequently is. Do make sure that your diet is healthy, that you're not spending excessive amounts of money on supplements and that you let any prescribing doctor know what supplements you're on. Having said that, a low GI diet (not exactly what you're doing though!) is a healthy way to eat and can help quite a few Fibro patients.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Ellen Tracey » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi Gary :wave:
Ellen Tracey
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:18 pm

:welcome: to the forum. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello