[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hello ... another newbie !

Hello ... another newbie !

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello ... another newbie !

Postby Pepsi67 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:49 am

Hello All,

I'm new here :D

My name is Melanie and i'm 42. I have recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia but have suffered for many years with various conditions which now I have a diagnosis are all starting to make sense; only to realise that the uphill struggle has only just started :(

I have three wonderful children - Laura 22, Tasha 20 and Jak 18 and two gorgoeus grandchildren - Callie-Mai who is two & half and Tyler who is 16 months. Laura is due to have another baby in June so that'll be number 3 :D

When I feel up to it I love to craft especially cardmaking and ATC's although I have made jewellery in the past but find it a bit too fiddly.

I also like swimming but don't have the energy any more; watching TV, reading and doing crosswords/wordsearches/criss cross (when my brain allows - lol :P).

Anyway thats a bit about me and I hope to make some friends; have a grumble when i'm feeling sorry for myself :roll: , have fun and learn more about Fibromyalgia.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope to chat very soon xxx

:D :D :D
Pepsi67
UKFM Member

Re: Hello ... another newbie !

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:08 am

Welcome! :)

Swimming can be very good for Fibro, so I'd get back to that if you can. When I was a member of a gym with swimming pool (they closed it!) I had to start only doing 5 (small) lengths with breaks in between but I gradually worked up to be able to do 50 lengths with hardly a break.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby hamstergirl » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:20 am

Welcome Melanie

I love making cards and have been thinking about ATC. I use to knit but had to stop that with pain in my arms.

I went swimming in my twenties three times a week for an hour to an hour and half at a time. It was when i stopped this (because i married my husband and there was no local pool where we lived) that my syptoms came on.

However, a pool opened last year and i tried to go and was in absolute agony by just doing 15 mins. I'm going to start going again when snow disappears and try and stick it out for a month to see if things improve.

xxxxx

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby Ellen Tracey » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:52 am

Hi Melanie :wave:
Ellen Tracey
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:00 pm

Lorraine, some people have to start with even less. One sufferer I knew started with one minute of hydrotherapy a day, but built it up till she was out of her wheelchair.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Pepsi67 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:09 pm

Better get my costume out again then :D

I have tried but as I said don't seem to have the energy; will try on a good day and start off small :)
Pepsi67
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:15 pm

:welcome: to the forum. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby hamstergirl » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:17 am

Hi everyone

well snow has gone so got up early to go for an early swim. I did 30 mins. I'm now on settee resting and will do for rest of day.

If I'm suffering I will reduce my time. If I'm not too bad I will go again in the week.

Linzworld - I think your absolutely right by saying start of slow if only a minute. I feel for me it's too much effort to go, undress and swim and get dressed for such a short time in the pool. I have been exercising with pilates, side stepper and recently wii fi, so feel ready to push myself further. I no longer work (I am looking though) so I am taking this time to see if my body will now cope. I can now rest in the day should I need to. I'm sensible enough to drop my time until I find the right balance.

I'm hoping in the long run I will benefit.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:21 pm

Lorraine, that sounds really positive - well done! :D Trying 30 mnutes in the context of having been trying to up your exercise levels already sounds like a sensisble decision, but as you said, just take it easy and if you find 30 minutes makes you ache more than you're happy with, try 15 minutes next time. :)
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Pepsi67 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:48 pm

Well Done Lorraine. Great that you managed to do 30 minutes but as you said finding the right balance is the key :D
Pepsi67
UKFM Member

Postby alihud » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Hiya Melanie welcome to the group,im Ali in wiltshire with 2 children,13 and 10 and 3 dogs.I've just got into card making but really enjoy it.Look forward to chatting to you about cards,theres a few on here who make them.
Ali xx
alihud
UKFM Newbie

Postby Pepsi67 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi Ali,

Thanks for the lovely welcome :D

Will look forward to chatting more and talking about crafting :)

Take care and hope to chat soon :)

PS What dog(s) do you have. I have a border collie (Buddy) and a rottie (Bailey) and love em to bits :D

:wave:
Pepsi67
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello