Help I am new to this

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help I am new to this

Postby janeyd » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:30 am

Hello
hope I am doing this right am a virgin to it (long time since I could say that)
I am 53 and my doc doesn't seem to believe inanything like ME,IBS or FM. Feels like I,m talking about radio stations!
For years I have struggled with depression, joint pain, panic attacks and IBS.
My doc only seems to look at each one not the whole picture.
Because of the IBS I can't take a lot of tablets and prefer the holistic approach.
I am asking for advice from all of you who undestand FM better than me. Do you think this sounds like my problem? I am so fed up of whinging or at least that how it sounds. But I can tackle problems if I know what they are.
Bad day today so any advice appreciated. :cry:
janeyd
UKFM Newbie

Re: Help I am new to this

Postby gillshutt » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

:hugs: and welcome

If you have joint pain then ask your gp to refer you to a rheumatologist then you can take it up with them by suggesting someone else has mentioned FM. Failing that can you not see a different gp or change to a different surgery?

Stick with us and we'll do what we can to help.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Re: Help I am new to this

Postby crazynightowl » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:03 am

Hiya,
I'd say to your GP could he refer you to a rheumatologist to investigate your joint pain?
Then, when you see the rheum consultant- you can ask them about the FM, cos they should be a lot more clued up on it.
If your GP won't refer you, i suggest you either if poss, ask for an apt with another GP who works in the same practice, or if that's not possible- move to a different GP practice.
Unfortunately many drs are still quite ignorant about FM, and either don't know much about it, or don't believe in it at all. However, the government and NHS recognises FM as a real condition, and so GP's are expected by the government to treat people presenting with symptoms of FM, whatever their personal beliefs are. There is a doc on the FMAUK website to give to medical professionals who won't believe in FM- you could have a look. It's in the 'information' section, under "Fibromyalgia is Real" you can download and print a document and show it to your dr.
Also, don't be dishartened just because your current GP is not helpful. Some doctors can be really helpful and understanding about it-it's just a matter of finding the right one!!
Good luck with it.
Also, joint pain sounds more like arthiritis than FM, cos FM causes more pain in muscles than joints, so if it's joints it should also be checked as it could be some other form of arthiritis/rheumatism other than FM.
Take care,
Mads
crazynightowl
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello