[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - newbie here :)

newbie here :)

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

newbie here :)

Postby little_mima » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:35 pm

hi guys :)
Thought I should introduce myself and give a little of my story. In case anyone is interested that is!
About 2 years ago, I had a Strep infection that started with a sore throat, then sore joints and finally came out in a wonderful rash. I was given antibiotics and it seemed to be all sorted. A couple of weeks later my joints got so bad all of a sudden I couldn't walk up the stairs. Back to the GP, she told me that there was nothing wrong and that it'd go away. I kept going back and she finally did some rheumatology-related bloods and everything was ok apart form a slightly high ESR. It kept getting worse and she kept telling me that there was nothing wrong and I was making it all up. I went to another GP in the same practice who managed to get me an appointment with a rheumie for 3 days later. This rheumie also said there was essentially nothing wrong and that it would go away with time. I believed her, considering who she is and how noone questions her! She is also meant to be very complete in her examinations, but didn't check my tender points.
Since seeing her, I had a GI bleed following a bad reaction to voltarol for my slightly swollen joints, and as a result have developed very bad reflux which is only stopped by getting cyclizine injections. I also get breathlessness with a slightly low peak flow, but am still waiting on a pulmonary function test. I have very bad Raynaud's and my feet are blue all the time, even when they feel warm to me. I've had TMJ problems since I was 12. I don't really notice any sleep problems, thankfully, apart form dreaming a lot.
In October, I started getting a butterfly rash that scared my GP and she's referred me back to my original rheumie. I get this rash every day and it gets worse in the sun.
I got a bit bored waiting for a NHS appointment with a rheumie, so I went to see someone privately in January. He managed to diagnose me with FMS within 5 mins and was surprised my original one didn't check my tender points. He was concerned about the rash, but since all of my bloods are all back to normal, SLE is being discounted. I'm a little confused about that...
I got an NHS appointment with my original rheumie coming up in a couple of weeks, so she'll be getting asked a lot of questions, including what's happening with the rash and how could SLE get discounted so quickly. I am also waiting to see my gastroenterologist in about a month to see if surgery is a viable option considering I don't have much of a life any more and I've done everything else he's suggested. I've been started on amitryptoline (sp?) which I've found to work wonders for the pain on good days. Bad days, not so much. I'm on nexium for the reflux, which sort of works on good days. I get accupuncuture, sometimes into the tender points, and that works a bit as well. I'm also trying to find a good sunblock, but am failing with that one! I'm a little confused about exercise though. I get breathless walking any distance, so I'm not wanting to start into anything too heavy until that gets sorted, so I considered yoga. But I'm reading conflicting reports: some say it's great and others say don't even think about it. I'd love to start swimming again, but I'm scared to because of the breathlessness.
So that is my story in short!
Apart from that, I'm 23, I've had to give up uni twice thanks to all of this. I read a lot when my concentration levels let me and I've recently taken up photography thanks to a great birthday present. I've developed a bit of a coffee shop habit as well and am considered to be a feature in my local.
Any tips and advice are greatly welcomed :) and thanks for letting me rant
little_mima
UKFM Member

Re: newbie here :)

Postby shazq » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi :welcome: to the forum.
Sorry to hear you have had a long journey to get a DX of fibro.

Any questions just ask, we have lots of info spread around the forum for you to read up on. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Re: newbie here :)

Postby fender1985 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:51 pm

hey hun, sorry to hear u got problems at ur age. Im 25. Had problems since i was 19. Been diagnosed 1.5 years now but only just getting financial help. Try get it sorted now while it isnt as bad as it can get. Easier said than done but learn to pace urself. I struggle with that because i like to do what i want wen i want. As a result of ignoring my body i had to give up playing guitar. So dont be afraid to be boring or bored. It beats being done in. Probably not the best advice cos we're all different. Anyway good luck:) maybe i'll see you in a coffee shop one time ;)
fender1985
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello