[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Finally got my GP to agree with me!!

Finally got my GP to agree with me!!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Finally got my GP to agree with me!!

Postby Simi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi

Been having a nose around on here and finally decided to say hello as you don't seem to bite the "newbies" :lol:

Bit of a long story, but it seems that everyone who has this seems to have similar agonies getting their GP's to diagnose this.

I've suffered with (supposedly) spondylosis since an accident in my early teens, which just tended to flare up periodically. Flared up big time in January this year, leading me off to the GP after a couple of weeks as my usual remedy of ibuprofen didn't seem to be working. Got fobbed off by the emergency doctor with a prescription for co-codamol and told to take things easy. Two weeks later, I'm back in the surgery again feeling even worse, with pains in both legs and my arm! Managed to see my GP this time and got my a change in tablets to diclofenac after he suggested that the inflamation in my shoulder had probably trapped a nerve!!

Two weeks later I was back again, pains getting worse and tablets not helping despite the shoulder being much better. Now my friend has recently been diagnosed with FMS and swears blind by now that my symptoms are so much like hers that she's sure I've got the same thing. Can you hear my GP laughing at this suggestion, cos that what he did :!: :!:

So this time I leave the surgery with tramadol to add to the diclofenac and a referal to a physiotherapist. And so the cycle repeats itself, back and forth to the doc for 2 months with him insisting I've merely trapped a nerve in my back/neck. Seven weeks I waited for physio!! but he was well worth the wait, six sessions later and my neck and back are feeling better than they've felt for years, really improved posture ..... the works!!! Apart from one thing ... I've still got legs that feel like dead weights, and periodic pins and needles, arms that keep going numb and cramps in my fingers (sound familliar anyone???)

Doctors visit number ?? (I've count by this time) results in a slight change of track, now he wants me to see an orthapaedic consultant .... just to see what they think. Roll on another 2 weeks wait, and off to the appointment with a very nice, very helpful orthapaedic practitioner who, after running a few tests decides to send me off for an MRI. Another wait, another fortnight sees the MRI being done, followed by another visit to see Mr Nice Helpful orthapaedic man three weeks later. By this time I've been off work for 11 weeks, I'm getting really peeved with the pain, really, really fed up of daytime telly (there's only so much Jezza K a "sane" woman can take) and slightly stir crazy. How relieved was I when he said that my MRI was completely clear, absolutely no damage to my neck whatsoever woooooo hoooooo!! So what the b****y hell's been causing all this flipping pain then, his suggestion ..... Fibromyalgia :banghead:

So finally, last week I go back to see the doc, he's not had the MRI results yet so I tell him what's been said about the MRI and then finally :D :D he agrees with me, yes he thinks I've got fibro :banghead:

So long and short of it is, another blood test to rule out anything else it might possibly be, a new prescription for amitriptyline to add to my others, and if the bloods come back negative, he'll refer me to a rheumatologist for them to confirm his diagnosis!!!!!!!!!

So not quite there yet, but I think I've finally managed to stop banging my head against a brick wall.

Sorry it's such a long rant, but after almost 6 months of grrrrrrrr with my GP, i think it's acceptable :lol:

Simi
Simi
UKFM Newbie

Re: Finally got my GP to agree with me!!

Postby loubie » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:17 pm

hi simi :wave:

they all think we are nuts :yikes:
we think we are nuts to begin with :shock:
and we are always :banghead: with one thing or another as loads do not believe us :(
BUT... apart from all that

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
good that you found us
loubie x
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:13 am

:welcome: to the forum. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:15 am

Hi Simi :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazgray » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:52 pm

OMG, its the same story as mine, oh and yes the MRI came back negative, because you can not see FM.

Unfortunately you have to be diagnosed by an orthapedic consultant (or similar) to qualify for any benefits. Although this takes forever.

You can apply for a blue badge parking permit which I find comes in very useful at times.

Sharon
shazgray
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:26 pm

:welcome: to the forum Simi :wave:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby budda » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi Shazgray, :welcome: to the forum, you said you had a blue badge, is that without getting benifits you can get it.
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby shazgray » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Yes , I have got my permit without getting any benefits, you can get the application form at your local council offices, just remember to advise that everyday is a bad day, as you just dont know when you will have a good day, you can start by having a good day then it gets bad, dont disclose how far you can walk just say that its painful all the time, as most people do not understand about fm.
shazgray
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Thanks for that information Shazgray, i will look into that and let you know how i get on.
budda
UKFM Regular

Return to Where to Say Hello