Newbie and acupuncture

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newbie and acupuncture

Postby NatureChild » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Hello everyone, I joined a while ago but this is my first post.

I was diagnosed a few months ago by a rheumatologist who also diagnosed joint hypermobility syndrome (had never heard of it but explains the injuries which led to the fibro). I also have CFS which came down out of the blue in January. Apparently I've been struggling with symptoms for 4 or 5 years but didnt realise. I thought I was depressed and that was why I was so tired and sore all the time. I've also been dealing with a lot of stress and illness in the family so it seemed reasonable to think that that was what was wrong. It told a differrent GP and the CFS to really bring things to light and since then its been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster as the diagnoses started to roll in. Its been life changing to say the least. The rheumy said it was mild and advised conservative treatment - meaning do nothing apart from increasing the amitriptyine - shows how much he understands about the impact of fibromyalgia as I havent been at work since January this year. Doing nothing was not an option for me so I'm paying for physio and she is trying trigger point therapy and today acupuncture. The trigger point therapy was painfull but it seemed to have helped the area she worked on. I found the acupuncture ok at first but then it got really painfull when she said she was "activating" them. Has anyone else found acupuncture painfull or helpfull ?

Many thanks and glad to meet you all !

NatureChild :)
NatureChild
UKFM Member

Re: Newbie and acupuncture

Postby denys » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi NatureChild and :welcome: to the forum glad you hav finally got some diagnosis for yor problems and are actively finding some help.

I have never had acupuncture and so can't help there but I'm sure someone who can will be along shortly :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby budda » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi Naturechild :welcome: to the forum, glad you have joined us, you ll have plenty of people who will understand your pain and problems, I myself have had accupuncture, it was a bit sore going in, but after that I was fine, it worked for me for a while, everyone will find it different, I think we get the word depressed mixed up with FED UP with the pain.
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby NatureChild » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:43 pm

Hello, yes I think that you are right with FED UP as I was definately fed up with the aches and pains and fatigue and foggy brain. I just kept on bashing myself up about it thinking I was at fault. It wasnt through lack of going to the Gp and saying I think something is wrong but of course all the blood tests come back normal dont they. Well today my back is very stiff and sore and achy but the physio said that this feeling is all the muscles being relaxed or switched off from the constant on position so I'm thinking of this as a good pain for once. Can hardly believe that I just said that. Anyway thanks for your welcomes.

Cheers
NatureChild :)
NatureChild
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello