[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hey I'm a Newbie from Scotland

Hey I'm a Newbie from Scotland

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hey I'm a Newbie from Scotland

Postby LauraL » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:49 am

Hey, ( sorry if this is REALLY long, I've never done anything like this before... ) :)

My name's Laura I'm 23 years young and have FINALLY been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia after the past two years of thinking “What the hell is wrong with me?!?” It all started way back when I had just turned 17 really. I was in a bad car accident in which I nearly lost my life, I was left with a badly crushed kneecap and since then have had nine operations to repair it, the knees doing great now ( touch wood) but still dislocates on occasion. So after the accident I had months of recovery and physio and stuff. A year or so went past and my knee only gave me jip every now and then, but that's when everything else started to hurt. I was exhausted all the time it was kinda like one thing after an other. I keep loosing weight and my doctor couldn't explain why, I was in pain 24/7 with what I could and only and still can explain as like my body having the toothache constantly.

Anyway, I had to get my gallbladder removed a year ago and that seemed to make everything worse than it already was! soon after that I was diagnosed with IBS then had two kidney stones like 5 months apart ( and by God that is painful and I'd like to think I have a great pain threshold) after all that I thought well maybe it's just everything I've been through, maybe I'm a little depressed ( as my x-doctor kept saying) but I knew it wasn't depression it was frigging pain! Any time I went to him he just shoved more painkillers at me without even bothering to investigate. I've been taking Co-codamol 30/500 and Diclofenac 50mg for 4 years with DF118's, diazapam and indomethacin in between which did nothing more than give me a bloody ulcer!

So 3 months ago my mum sat me down and said we really need to get to the bottom of all this and I kinda broke down and agreed. I was supposed to be halfway through university studying to be a nurse by now but instead I'm in bed most of time wrapped around a hot water bottle pumped to the eyeballs with drugs. So I changed doctors ( my whole family was with the same doctor except from my dad who is an amputee and has a different doctor from us in a different practice) so I changed GP's and my new doctor is amazing! He was really understanding and listened to everything I had to say and within a week he had done a load of blood tests and found I have pernicious anaemia which I've been getting vitamin B12 injections for every other day and I had a test done for celiac disease as it runs in my family and he said that could be what's causing my low blood count. He told me to keep taking the co-codamols ( which to be honest I'm not sure I could live without after the years I've been on them) and stop with the Diclofenac ( he didn't look too pleased that my old doc had me taking indomethacin ( not at the same time as the Diclofenac) he referred me to the pain clinic and I expected to wait a while as I know they have long waiting lists but I had an appointment within a week which was 2 weeks ago where the pain consultant anaesthesiologist guy diagnosed Fibromyalgia and prescribed me Gabapentin 300mg three times a day to take along with my regular co-codamol 30/500 depending how the pain is, so over the past 2 weeks I've been taking the Gabapentin as prescribed and only taking the co-codamol at night and sometimes during the day.

I'm kinda on a downer about all of this even though I suspected fibromyalgia ( I have an aunt with it too and it kinda scares me when I see how limited she is, although she is a lot older at 53, she seems to be on every drug known to man and bedridden, I'm terrified it's going to happen to me) I've spent the past three days in bed non stop, which is partly due to excruciating menstrual cramps ( which I wonder is it related to this FMS? Anyone else feel like their time of the month kills them?) O.K so sorry for writing so much but I just wanted to get it all out!... I'm so glad I can chat with people on here who understand what I'm going through and not feel like I'm boring people or annoying them with my endless complaints lol

Thanks Laura :blowkiss:
Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live. ~Jim Rohn

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. ~Mark Twain
LauraL
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hey I'm a Newbie from Scotland

Postby shazq » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:19 am

:welcome: to the forum.
Sorry to hear you have fibro. There is a lot to take in.
Have a read around the forum, any questions just ask. :hugs: :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi Laura, poor you you have been through the mill, :welcome: to the forum and as Shaz says any questions just ask away. Dont worry about ranting on here we all do it and its good to get things out.

Glad you've now got a good doc its so important to have someone who listens and takes what you say seriously :hugs: :hugs: :flowers:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby chuckles » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:01 pm

hi laura :wave: and :welcome:
chuckles
UKFM Member

Postby LauraL » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Thanks for the nice welcome everyone :blowkiss:

Laura x

LauraL
UKFM Newbie

Postby budda » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi Laural, :welcome: to the forum, am from glasgow to. :wave:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby twighlight30 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:26 am

Hi laura my name is rhona and im 31 i have 3 lovely girls and i have fibromyalgia :) i was also studing as a nurse with stirling uni up in the western isles campus i as half way through third year when i had to take a leave of absance because i am in so much pain i couldnt do the work anymore that was back in june, it was so hard being so close to my dream and having to give up. I am glad that you have a good new g.p it is half the battle. It is a big change to go through, i hope that you get some releif from the gabapentin. Its tough going but having your familys support is really good i hope you get on well, are you still managing to study? You can get help from the uni and saas for a computer and special software that you speak into a mic and it types for you its called dragon nuturally speaking and stuff like a digital voice recorder for your lectures, so you can play them back and help retain more information. Anyway hope things go well for you. :hugs:
twighlight30
UKFM Member

Postby therese » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi Laura, I'm new too although I was diagnosed with FM a year ago. Like you, I find things worsen when I'm menstruating. I thought maybe I was menopausal 'cos I'm 46 and was suffering with poor memory and concentration and unpredictable menstrual cycle. Blood tests confirmed I'm notmenopausal and I'm now thinking that it's due to FM. There's a few things I've noticed on people's posts such as itchy skin and burning back pain, which I've also been to the doc about but got no joy.

Very glad you've got a new understanding GP. Mine seems ok at the mo but have only met her once and she probably thinks I'm weird 'cos I cried buckets and talked a load of drivel! Anyway, welcome from another newbie :wave:
therese
UKFM Newbie

Postby LauraL » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:26 pm

Hey everyone,

I have had a really crap couple of days where I have been feeling very sick and dizzy, kinda spaced out. I went for my regular B12 injection and the nurse noticed a rash on my upper arm ( which I hadn't even noticed!) and also the fact that my face had really broken out, and I don't usually have as much as a blemish. She said she thought it looked like some kind of reaction so I was sent in to see the doctor and immediately he said it was the Gabapentin and that I had to come off it. I had already taken one that morning so he said to not take the afternoon and night one, but take one the next day then none today which I did. He called the pain consultant at the pain clinic who diagnosed me and he prescribed Lyrica, which I have to start tonight at 50mg... I've to take one every night for seven days, then one in the morning and one at night for another seven until I'm up to three a day. I am REALLY worried about this, when I opened the leaflet that comes with the tablets it was GIANT and there is so much side effects, it goes as far as saying "May cause Heart and kidney Failure" I'm really scared to start taking these but I kinda don't have a choice unless I wanna be in pain constantly. I have to keep taking the co/codamol 30/500 along with this. Is anyone else on Lyrica and am I just overreacting and being paranoid about the scary side effects? Is it worth a go? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey budda :D another fellow Scot :) where abouts are you from??

Hey Rhona :D sadly I had to give up my place at uni. They had been so helpful towards me but it just was not working out. I was missing out on so much important stuff. I had to have two surgeries during the time I was there as well so I couldn't even catch up at home because most of the time I was very sick or whacked out on morphine in the hospital. I love to write and have taken up script writing which I can do at home, so hopefully I can build on that as a stable occupation. I'm not giving up on nursing, just being realistic with my circumstances at the minute.

Hey Therese :D Yes my GP is wonderful and says he has a real interest in Fibromyalgia which is great. I also have an amazing family, we have all been through so much together and are very close. I think having loving people around you giving support helps a lot, but I hate to burden them with everything, so it's nice to be able to talk with others who understand how I feel. I have been referred to a gynaecologist as my doctor said it could be PCOS that is the problem but I really hope not as I would love to have children so much, and understand it can be more difficult with PCOS. I'm just going to have to hope for the best.

:grouphug:

Laura x

LauraL
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi Laura, yes I'm on Lyrica havent had too many problems with them, dont do much! but take the edge off so better on them than off. I take 300mg twice a day which is the maximum dose :hugs: :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello