[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - New to the site

New to the site

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New to the site

Postby therese » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:29 pm

I'm delighted to have found this website. I was diagnosed with FM twelve months ago and have struggled to work fulltime since then. I've had lots of spells on the sick and visits to doc. Now I've realised I can't do it anymore. I'm just not physically capable of working fulltime. Doc has given me one months sick note. I know I can get full pay for 2 months while sick, and 2 months half pay. At some point I'm going to apply to DLA. I've been to Citizen's Advice Bureau and they seem to think I've got a case. I'm going to list my symptoms, purely for some feedback from other members.
Chronic fatigue, weakness in limbs, headaches, not able to sleep, pains in muscles and joints, pressure/pain behind eyes and dry eyes, frequent urination and bladder irritability, diarrhoea and faecal incontinence, loss of appetite, nausea, nausea after eating, itchy skin, sensitivity to light and noise, poor memory, lack of concentration, mood swings, irritability, excess salivation, sweating, feeling faint, panic attacks and depression.
I'm so tired (literally!) but also of going to the doc with various symptoms and them looking at me as though it's all in my head. My confidence has taken a severe battering and I'm now having to convince myself that it's ok to be ill and I'm not a scrounger. I just can't fight the illness any more. In some ways it's a relief and in other ways it's quite scary because I don't feel in control of my future any more.
Anyway, that's me. I'm 46 years old with a 21 year old son and a 4 month old Yorkshire terrier. I would love to hear back from other members. :D
therese
UKFM Newbie

Re: New to the site

Postby budda » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi therese and :welcome: to the forum glad you have come to join us, sorry you are feeling so ill, it sounds as if you do have a case with the DLA, most people for the first time claiming DLA dont get it, then you have to appeal,I myself get Incapacity benifit, i was working to and my work sent for me, to talk about the time i had off, i stayed on the sick and then went on to incapacity, i have been getting it for 15years, hope this helps you, and am sure there will be others on here who can give you some info. :hugs: :flowers:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi Theresa and :welcome: to the forum I have moved your post into where to say hello as I think you will get more hits there, I'm glad you have found us and if you hae any questions just ask and someone will be along to help as soon as they can :hugs: :hugs: :flowers:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby therese » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:37 pm

Thanks budda and Denys. It's great to know that there is support, especially after struggling for what seems forever! :banghead: I don't know what the difference is between Incapacity benefit and DLA. If you have the time could you educate me please? :? I'm back to the doc this afternoon because she's concerned about the state of my mental health. I am too - after all this time of fighting FM and probably being in denial about its impact on my life, it's probably finally driven me crazy! :roll: Actually I'm feeling quite human today for the first time in weeks. Just being careful not to overdo it or I'll hit bottom again in double quick time. :yikes:
therese
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:23 pm

Definitely take things slowly Theresa, IB is incapacity benefit that you get when you work or have been in work and are on the sick it's a taxable benefit and is paid when you have made enough national insurance contributions. IB is being phased out and in its place is the dreaded ESA :yikes: anyone who is eligable for IB and claims now is put on ESA with most people failing to be classed as unfit for work :yikes:

DLA is disability living allowance and is not taxable (I think) it is available to anyone who has care and/or mobility needs, it is hard to get a successful claim for fibro but not impossible, have a read through on the working and benefits thread and you'll soon see which is which and what the all mean, there are links on there to government websites and benefit websites which will help to explain things as well.

Hope your visit to your doc went ok and you are getting the help you need :hugs: :hugs: :flowers:
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:00 am

:welcome: to the forum. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello