Just been diagnosed.

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Just been diagnosed.

Postby shane » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi

My name is Shane Chittock and i'm a 39-year-old male who was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia on December 29th 2010. For the past seven years i have suffered chronic lower back pain and fatigue. I do not know why it took this long to find out what's wrong, but it did. Now that i have this illness i need to know as much as i can. I have been getting Incapacity Benefit for the past seven years due to the fact that no one could put a name to what was going on with me. Am i entitled to other benefits and if so how do i go about it. Are there any support groups near me in Essex as i would like to hear from you. Basically i just need as much information as possible.

Cheers

Shane
shane
UKFM Newbie

Re: Just been diagnosed.

Postby denys » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi Shane, I have moved your post into here as it will get more hits. :welcome: Sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with FM and can sympathise with you over the feelings of confusion.

Look on the front page of the site, down the left hand side where you will find a tab named support groups, this gives a list of support groups and telephone numbers.

Read through the site and you will find lots of helpful information and advice but if you have any questions please just ask and someone will be along as soon as possible to answer you :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:16 pm

:wave: and :welcome: to the fibro club shane. I can empathise with you about the confusion and it taking so long to find out what is wrong, I had a similar experience and 4 years on meds for completely the wrong condition :facepalm: :facepalm: There is a lot to take in with FM and it can take a while to accept it find what's right for you.

As denys has said, there is a list of support group info on the main page that might be useful to you. As for what benefits you may be entitled to, it can be a battle for us to get the help we need, so it might be worth contacting CAB or DIAL or other similar organisation who could advise you what you may be entitled to.

Have a look around the site, there is a lot of info, advice and support on here, you might find the answers to questions you have as well. Anything you want to know, just ask and we'll see what we can do to help :wave: :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby fabme » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:40 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :welcome: as the other s have said welcome abored the good ship fibro :lol: There's loads of info on here to search through and some really good stuff, any help needed just ask :D

fab
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby Nellyphant » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:50 pm

I'm newly diagnosed too. But I can trace my symptoms back almost 20 years. Bummer. I don't claim anything so can't help you with that but there are wise people on the forum who will be able to give you advice. I'm 40 BTW so similar in age to you. I got diagnosed with OA in November too and am waiting for the x-ray results on my hips but the radiologist suggested that there was "wear and tear" aka OA - joy!

Great friendly forum, it's great to have people who know what you're going through.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:13 pm

:welcome: to the forum Shane.
There is a lot to take in and get your head around, have a read around the forum and any questions you have just ask. :wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby fibro-lu » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:51 pm

:wave:
shane

:welcome:
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby budda » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi shane and :welcome: to the forum.
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby Tonka2010 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi, After 22 years I have finally been diagnosed with FM, The symptoms started when I was just 7 and for years I was told it was growing pains or I had a virus. I recently moved doctors surgery and my new GP has been fantastic. Its so nice to finally be taken seriously and to be able to look for ways of improving my day to day life as I have a chronic form of it as my rheumatologist has said. I had never met anyone with FM up until recently and its nice to be able to talk to someone who is going through the same thing. Sorry I've gone on a bit :)

Marc
Tonka2010
UKFM Member

Postby Laurajojo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:22 pm

:welcome:
xx Laura
Laurajojo
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:26 pm

welcome
:wave:
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Return to Where to Say Hello