[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - newbie to the site with similar symptoms

newbie to the site with similar symptoms

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

newbie to the site with similar symptoms

Postby Tam2009 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:33 pm

Hi All please let me introduce myself , I am Tom and from Edinburgh Scotland aged 54 . I found this site during my search for some answers to a host of symptoms . After spending a good few hours reading the main page,links and many posts I feel I am reading my own story quite often .
I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder 10 years ago but suffered many physical and emotional symptoms many years prior to this . I have received Cognitive behavioural therapy in 2010 which did help alot but whenever i get challenged with new stressful situations I forget what I learned and the old symptoms return . I just started a new job which is quite stressful and now find more pain ,numbness ,dizziness in my body than ever . To get to the point I am wondering if I suffer from fibromyalgia and have been for years as many of my symptoms are the same as on this site and with you guys . I have had 100 tests form GP and all are clear , I stopped smoking 23 days ago i might add which is stressful in itself , i'm now eating better too as i have gained a few stone last year when i was unemployed . my main symptoms dont seem to be in the pressure points in the diagram on this site but more or less all over my body including sore fingers and big toes ,even to touch ( right now my left thumb is throbbing and hot ) , there are 1 second kind of stabbing sharp nervy type pains that sometimes feel itchy and move around , I feel them in my shoulders one minute then ribs the next then knees hips , scalp with no pattern whatsoever . I feel a terrible confusion at times and so so tired even after 10 hours in bed . After a nights sleep I wake up all sore as if I have been fighting with someone all night . Should I ask my GP if he/she thinks i have FM . I take the odd diazepam and 8 co-codamol 30-500 per day .

Thanks for reading my post .

Tom
Tam2009
UKFM Newbie

Re: newbie to the site with similar symptoms

Postby fabme » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi and welcome to the site i've moved your post here to where it's more appropriate :D

If you feel you may have fibro then I would recomend talking to your GP, maybe taking a list of your symptoms with you as well

fab
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby cherryblossom » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi Tom and :welcome: . I'm in no position to say much that is very helpful to you except echo what fabme said. Take a list along to your gp and suggest if it could be fm. At least it might set you on the right track with things. :fingerscrossed: and hope you get some answers soon. Cherry x
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Postby Tam2009 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:53 pm

Thanks I will do that soon .
:)
Tam2009
UKFM Newbie

Postby nutty1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:32 am

just to say :welcome: take a list of your symptons unless you can remember in your head ,and be prepared for endless questions,blood tests ,prodding and poking and no immediate answers it takes a while to get a diagnosis :fingerscrossed:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby sleepyrich » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:13 am

Welcome Tom, not that many fellas about here it appears :)

I have only just joined too, I started having quite severe symptoms mid december and my doctor diagnosed me yesterday, I sort of feel like I am jumping the que :P

I took all the advice I could get here for when I had my appointment and I took a line graph showing my mental state for the past 2 years and included a few key dates that were giving me stress and also a list of every symptom i could remember, its worth starting the list now and then add to in until your appointment as symptoms come and go.

I dont have the pain that is mentioned at all the trigger points, but I do experience great pain around a few and I have noticed that the others are very sensitive to pain now which they were not before. I pretty much have similar symptoms you have also.

I am also starting to notice that when the pain level is quite low the fatigue replaces it! My memory is shot and my feet go randomly freezing.
sleepyrich

Postby budda » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:18 am

:welcome: Tom, not much more i can add, but :goodluck1: with your GP.
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:20 am

:welcome: to the forum, hope you get some answer soon, you should go back to see your GP with a list of all your symptoms and ask them if it could be fibro, most GP`s will send you to see a rheumy to be diagnosed then the GP will carry on the treatment. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Laurajojo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:58 pm

:welcome:
xx Laura
Laurajojo
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi Tom and :welcome: to the forum, cant add anything to what has already been suggested :hugs: :hugs: :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby tonydin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:34 pm

hi tom im male 58 now , i have had anxity and pain for 30 plus years and inthe last 10 panick attacks came back, i attended a& e s 5 times with chest pains and once with a chocking sensation , have had sines problems , jaw problems bladder probs pains migrate all round the body and one day the empesis will be in the chest , or the back or the neck, or the shoulders , or the hands , or the feet , or the legs , or the head, or combanations of the above .
i have had tests for this tests for that and all the above problems never have they been able to identify any problem.
the pains arnt in the tender pionts its just they hurt when pressed .
i recived a letter today which was copy of the one to my gp to confirm what i was told by consultant rumitoligest friday, and part of it said
I HAVE NO DOUGHT THAT HE HAS FIBROMYAGIA.
so at last an explination , if you think any of this applys to you i would see your gp and aske him , i wanted to suggest fibro 10 years ago but as my gp had treated me for hypercondria in the past , i would not suggest it in case he trought i was being that ... but now i know what i knew deep down all those years ago , i never had hypacondria i was worrying over the symptoms of fibromyalgia
i would suggest you confront it now rather than later
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby Tam2009 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi , went to GP and she had taken blood to check for a host of things , i didn't quite catch all that she said but I know she's checking for rheumatoid something or other,muscle something , immune something , kidney ,liver function and others . Sorry I cant be more specific . She does not rule out fibromyalgia and does say it is very difficult to diagnose. She seemed quite sympathetic .
I am inclined to agree with her theory mind you which is that I am suffering from a new episode of anxiety/panic which has plagued me for many years . I started a new job in september as a security officer then moved to a high profile contract which involves alot of face to face interaction with staff and since I did suffer from social anxiety this has caused me and my poor old body some distress . I say I did suffered from social anxiety(past tense) but felt I had moved on since CBT last summer . To summaries I do agree with the GP that a stressed mind causes the body to react in many weird and strange ways and although the symptoms do feel very real the origin of the symptoms is caused by stress and that I do need to re-visit my stress reducing techniques . I have many good books which explains how the mind can cause us to feel physically unwell and how to reverse this way of living/thinking . I did also have a nasty flu around christmas which could have weakened my muscles , then I spent a day digging 2 cars out not long after that so perhaps iv,e totally done myself in and need lots of rest just .

Sorry for the long winded post . i will let you know how the bloods go later .
Tam2009
UKFM Newbie

Postby nutty1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:58 pm

glad to hear you getting tests and sorted ,and you got sympathetic gp .most of us cant take in everything being said ,try and see if someone can accompany you next visit .my probs started 72 then went but kept coming back in short bursts then in 96 came back big time but actually wasnt diagnosed till 2002 .thankfully for others its different now .and there is the support of everyone on this forum
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby sleepyrich » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:23 pm

If you fell your body dealing with the mental stress and you say you have had this for some time and your symptoms are indeed fibro (describing myself here)

I feel that fibro is the result of "gone one step too far" as I dont hear anyone saying they are free of it. Now its all about how severe and unrelenting your symptoms are and how you personally cope with and manage the symptoms.

In my mind its a case of looking at every symptom and working backward until I find the common denominator, its likely that its one thing thats changed in the body or the brain which effects a few senses its has in common and shares which is likely to have something to do with chemicals and neuro transmitters and receptors.

So going to a in my mind says that they may be able to help me manage the pain, but dont know why I'm getting the pain, and really I should be sent to the cognitive neurologist :D
sleepyrich

Postby Tam2009 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:51 pm

Dear sleepyrich You wrote a very significant post which resonated deeply within me , when you say this >>>:I feel that fibro is the result of "gone one step too far" as I dont hear anyone saying they are free of it. Now its all about how severe and unrelenting your symptoms are and how you personally cope with and manage the symptom <<<<<<<< I could not agree more , It's like the brian has had so much to deal with with regards to stress and anxiety that it ends up producing all these strange symptoms , none of which can be measured or detected by any medical test . I therefore think that my symptoms are kind of like super anxiety which instead of making me crazy ends up manifesting in the body hence all the pain and weird sensations , IT HAS TO FIND A RELEASE SOMEWHERE , I now honestly believe if I can get back to feeling calmer these horrible symptoms will lessen , lets hope so . I do notice one thing today , the more occupied I am the less I feel the symptoms . I am also a member of a site called http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk which is very useful ,however I try not to dwell on whats :fingerscrossed: wrong all the time as I feel this attracts more of whats wrong .
Tam2009
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Where to Say Hello