Newly Diagnosed - Pain Relief

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newly Diagnosed - Pain Relief

Postby pogster » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:28 pm

Hello everyone,

A GP at my practice has finally diagnosed me with fibro and has increased my amitrypylline from 10mg to 30mg. Last night I took 20mg and slept loads including the day after. There hasn't been much let up with my pain so I am planning on taking the full 30mg tonight.

Does anyone know if this will eventually give me the pain relief I need and how long it might take.

Cazzy
Diagnosed with FM 22/3/11[/img]
pogster
UKFM Member

Re: Newly Diagnosed - Pain Relief

Postby shazq » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:52 pm

:welcome: to the forum Cassy. :wave:

The Ami`s can take up to 4 weeks to feel the effects of them, fibro sufferers seem to be more sensitive to meds so you might find you will have a try a few different ones before finding one that suits you.

Its hard to say when the Ami`s will work for your pain as everyone is different and what works for one does not work for another, it trail and error, but dont give up there are lots of meds to try.

You might find that you will get the side effects before you get the benefit of the med reducing the pain. :roll:

we have a meds thread on here, have a read through it then you will get an idea of what pain meds are used to help control the pain.

Any questions just ask. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:10 pm

:wave: Cazzy :welcome: to the forum

We have lots of advice, info and suggestions on here, so have a look round and see what there is. Anything you want to know, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby budda » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:20 am

:wave: Hi Cassy and :welcome: to the forum. :flowers:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi Cazzy :welcome: to the forum :flowers:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby ouchisme » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:16 am

:wave:

Hope that our paths cross in the future. I've found that this forum is a wonderful lifeline and i'm v glad that i've found all these lovely, supporting ppl.
Had symptoms for 5yrs. Dx February 2011
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Postby pogster » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks to all who replied to my message, and so quickly too. After these first couple of days since diagnosis I feel a mixture of relief that there has been a reason to all my complaining and brain fog symptoms but I also feel scared at the prospect of having this for the rest of my life. I feel determined to continue at the gym and to use CBT techniques as recommended by the fab GP I saw who diagnosed me.

Any and all advice always appreciated and I hope with experience I can be of help to someone else one day.
Diagnosed with FM 22/3/11[/img]
pogster
UKFM Member

Postby stormlaw » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi
I have also been recently diagnosed with FM and am going through all the trial and error period of the medication. I started on 10mg amitryptaline but recently had another really bad attack and the dosage has been increased to 25mg. I also use cocodamol and diazapam for pain and sleep control.

It first started with just feeling pain in my hands and arms, most likely because I am in IT and spend a lot of time on a computer. It was thought that I had RSI at first, but after months of going backwards and forwards to the drs, they eventually did diagnose FM.

At first I was relieved I finally knew what was wrong with me, then the reality of it hit me, that I will always be battling against pain and fatigue and will most likely be on medication for the rest of my life. I'm only 28 and it is so frustrating not to be able to keep up to my peers and when I do manage to I then suffer for many days afterwards.

My most recent attack was awful, I had pain all over my body, was so tired just standing up was an effort, I got sent home from work and slept for hours but still suffered the pain and fatigue for a few days after. This is when my dosage of amitryptaline increased. That was 2 weeks ago and I am still incredibly tired, but have managed to get back to work, although I'm not functioning terribly well, but I am lucky in that my work understand what I'm going through and have been very supportive on the whole. I do get comments from some people about skiving but I just ignore them as they only say it out of ignorance for my situation.

It has been hard over the last few months, I have struglled to come to terms with FM, I still am to a certain degree. Trying to get family and friends to understand how you feel is very difficult and although they care I do feel that they don't understand.

I am still hopeful for the future though, by the looks of it I'm not suffering as much as some others with this syndrome, however I do worry about meeting someone (I'm currently single, after a very bad 8 yr relationship) I'm not sure how understanding a new partner would be about my FM and previous issues. :fingerscrossed: there is someone out there for me!

There is so much more to say, however I don't like dwelling on the negatives and try to stay positive, but sometimes it is hard.

Hope everyone is having as much of a pain free day as possible. :)
stormlaw
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi Stormlaw and :welcome: to the forum, have a look around at all the information on here there is some that is suitable for family and friends such as one for the non believers and the spoon theory which may help people understand that bit better and loads of advice and tips for sufferers, if you dont find what you are looking for then please ask and we will do our best to find the answer for you (eventually) sometimes there can be a bit of a delay in getting the right answer as we are all sufferers and also arent all logged on at the right time :lol: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:37 pm

:wave: stormlaw :welcome: to the forum :mrgreen:

I've split your post up into smaller bits as a lot of us fibromites find it difficult to read and take in big blocks of text.

There is a lot of info and advice on here, with you saying that friends, family and work colleagues don't understand about FM, it might be an idea to have a look at some of the things on here. "The Spoon Theory" and "One For The Non Believers" explain about it very well. Maybe you could print them up and give then to people to read and see if it helps them understand things a bit more.

The thoughts and feelings you're having at the moment are a stage that you go thru when you are given the dx. It takes a while to accept things and get to grips with it, but now you've found us, we'll try to help you with whatever you need and want to know.

Try not to think about what might happen in the future as worry is something that FM likes to feed on and make you feel worse. Most of us on here tend to take each day as it comes. As for relationships, I work on the idea that if it meant to be then it will happen, usually at a time when you least expect it. As for potential partners not being understanding about FM, the right one will take you for who you are, warts n all :clap: :clap: :clap: If someone can't take you for who you are, then to me it says a lot more about the type of person they are :tongueout: :tongueout: :tongueout: :tongueout:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby stormlaw » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi guys!

Thanks for replying, sorry about the big lumps of text! :facepalm: I have had a look at the spoon theory and the one for non believers, very useful information. I have printed the one for non believers out and will pass that round my closest friends and colleagues. Fantastic explanation about what we go through. :clap:

The problem I have is admitting I have a problem at all, I hate showing any signs of weakness and hate being poorly and having people around me pitying me.

I think this is due to my past, my dad always hated it when any of us were ill, and when he became ill with cancer he ignored it for too long and died because of it. He was a doctor himself and should have known the signs, (well he did know the signs as both his parents died from bowel cancer too) he just chose to ignore it and plod along with life until he couldn't anymore.

I feel I have this same trait and although FM is not a terminal illness I really struggle with accepting I have a weakness and asking for help so I don't but then I just feel even more alone in it. :?

I'll get there in the end though I am generally a positive person and I'm sure I'll get through this down period. It just seems that everytime I have a flare up of pain, I then suffer a couple of weeks of feeling really down, even after the pain has diminished somewhat, does anyone else experience this?

Thanks xxx
stormlaw
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:15 pm

Its a common thing Stormlaw, chronic pain leads to depression and 'low' mood so increased pain in the form of a flare will increase those feelings :fingerscrossed: you feel start to feel a bit brighter soon :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Like denys has said, they seem to come together and be part of the cycle we seem to go thru. If you can spot the early warning signs and have ways to challenge and turn the thoughts and feeling round, it can make these bleaker times easier to deal with. Unfortunately, as I know from my experiences, it's not a particularly easy thing to do and keep on with :facepalm: :facepalm:

Don't worry about the text, we'll just follow you around going :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: then you'll get it right :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been thru the things you're experiencing at the moment-don't want to show or admit to any weakness or vulnerability, thinking you can simply carry on like you're used to, don't need any help from anyone and so on. It was almost downfall and it took a while to find my way out of it :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: your spark of positivity helps you get thru it.

Plus now you're amongst us.............................well, who knows what could happen :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby stormlaw » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:35 pm

Thanks guys! :D

It certainly helps to know I'm not the only person suffering from this. Although it's not nice to think how many sufferers are actually out there.

Hope everyone has a nice, as pain free as possible weekend :wine: xxx
stormlaw
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:55 pm

:welcome: to the forum stormlaw :wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Next

Return to Where to Say Hello