[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hello Anyone Have Weight Gain

Hello Anyone Have Weight Gain

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby CallaFH » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi all, just joined today so I'm new and have a question to see if anyone can reassure me I'm normal!

I'm 22 and I wouldn't say I have been diagnosed with FM. I went to the doctors about 2 years ago to ask about some pretty rough dizzy spells that I was having that were worrying me. They weren't like normal dizzy spells, or head rushes. They were often like everything went white, I could feel my heart beating and my body going cold but sweating as well, and would often have to sit down where ever I was (outside, often just on the pavement) because I couldn't see anything.

When I spoke to the doctor they did some blood tests and nothing came up on them so she suggested it was something I would just have to live with and trying to eat regularly throughout the day. When I mentioned to her about the pains in my knees, lower back, wrists and ankles she suggested it might be something called Fibromyalgia but that if it was it was mild and printed me off some information online. I don't doubt that if it is FM it is mild, from what I have heard people go through with it.

I work in HR and some of the reactions people have for FM so misinformed, I reckon some people just think its a made up syndrome for people who need to get a grip. When I researched more about the syndrome it made a lot of sense though. The certain areas that hurt, the exhaustion, the weird dizziness. I also went through a stage when I was in my teens where I had to wear a splint in my mouth because my jaw kept getting dislocated inwards (so I couldn't open my mouth), which I had read was also one of the symptoms. Although recently, since my sleeping has gotten better, and since I have much less stress, the more worrying symptoms have gone down - the dizziness in particular.

And I think it has helped since I am no longer a teenager. Being a teenager and everything a teenager gets up to does not go hand in hand with FM...if of course that is what I have. I still have the pains and exhaustion. Not to go into too much detail but I feel very sorry for my bf because he thinks I don't like sex with him sometimes. But it's just sometimes I have to prioritise. I have to keep most of my energy for work (I've had issues with work previously because of it). I think he is pretty dubious as well though. In fact as I'm typing this he said 'Jesus, are you writing an essay, you don't even know if you have it!'. He's lovely, but isn't very tactful.

Well that's my story, but really specifically I want to ask about weight gain. In two years I have went from being just under 10 stone to 13 stone 9 pounds without any significant change in diet or exercise. I have tried exercising (properly I mean, as in joining the gym), eating much healthier etc but I just can't get the weight off. I don't think my weight reflects my size either, I'm a size 14. I know I'm not in the best shape, but I think I look healthy. Is this something common amongst sufferers of FM?
Last edited by CallaFH on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CallaFH
UKFM Newbie

Re: Weight Gain

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:53 pm

:wave: and :welcome: to the forum.

I've split your post up into smaller paragraphs as a lot of us fibromites find it difficult to read large blocks of text in 1 go, I've also changed your title and I've moved it into "Where To Say Hello" as I think you might get more responses here.

Sorry to read that you may have this wretched condition, some of the things you've described could be due to FM. When you said it was mentioned by your GP after blood tests, I'm surprised you weren't referred to someone such as a Rheumatologist to have things investigated further and be given a definite dx. Maybe this is worth looking into and pushing for so you can get to the bottom of what is causing your various symptoms :dunno: :dunno:

Altho some of the things you've described are similar to a lot of what of us live with, there are other conditions/illnesses with symptoms very similar to FM, which is why tests, scans etc are carried out to see what is causing things. It's usually when all the possible alternatives have been ruled out that a dx of FM is given. It's not really possible for us to say if you're "normal" as this condition affects us all so uniquely, individually, it really needs to be a medical professional that tells you what it is you have. Once you have a dx then you can start on an appropriate treatment program and take it from there. The weight gain is common in FM, the ones of us that have problems with it find that it a side effect of the various meds we take, plus the fact that we are generally not as active as we would have been pre-FM due to the pain, stiffness, fatigue and so on.

Hope you can find out what is causing your pain and things, maybe going back to your GP and starting the dx process off again and carrying it thru to get a definite answer could be the way to go.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Re: Weight Gain

Postby CallaFH » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:35 pm

CallaFH
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello Anyone Have Weight Gain

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:21 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Niki d » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi callafh,
I have also new to this forum but every body seems very friendly and I look forward to using it more.

With regards to your weight gain, I have also put on about 4 stone and can't get rid of it. I only have about 800 calories a day and it still won't shift, I have also been sent to the dietitian but that didn't help.
But all my 3 sisters have fibromyalgia and they have all put on weight they can't get off.

Hope that helps niki
Niki d
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:46 pm

ask to be refered to a rheummatologist to have the tender points test for a conclusive diagnosis or a neurologist. has your gp ruled out ms or lupus?
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby thewireweaver » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:35 pm

My symptoms properly ramped up about 18 months ago and in the last 12 months I've gained a stone that I just can't shift
thewireweaver
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:55 pm

Weight gain is definitely something a lot of us seem to battle, as Fluppypuffy said some is down to side effects of meds and some just seems unexplainable.

With regard to editing posts once again I will echo what flup has written except to say that not only is it sometimes necessary on here but absolutely essential, the team of moderators here work extremely hard to ensure that everyone is supported equally often ignoring their own problems to ensure they help others cope with theirs, so apologies in advance but we will edit/move/delete any post that warrants it
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby thewireweaver » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:35 pm

I want my figure back :(
thewireweaver
UKFM Member

Postby lrgatrell88 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:28 am

Me 2 . I thought I was big before I had my son and now I look at pics and think wow. Even just after I had him I looked better than I do now. Lol.

I can't shift this weight. It's so depressing. Even more so now that my 2 best friends have lost a load of weight and I can't. I hate being the fattest. I'm already the tallest. Lol. I'm 6 ft 2, so very tall. N I certainly dnt want to b fat aswell. I'm now a size 16/18. Not good.
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:11 am

:welcome: to the forum. :wave:
I would love to lose my weight gain but still not having much luck either. :( :roll:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Roseofsharon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi I haven't really told my full story yet as i'm still piecing together what is part of my fibro (was only diagnosed in january) so forgive me if I seem to be rambling.

Although I was a healthy child I could never put on an ounce more than 6st 7lb (approx) and this continued into my teens. I went to my doc in my teens with shooting rains in my knees and was told they were growing pains (i'd had them since I was about 10) anyway after suffering a whiplash in 98 my back started giving me trouble (my hands having started january that same year). I swear i've had fibro since a child. Anyway when I was 20 after having been a size 8 all my teens I queenly ballooned up and by five years ago I was wearing size 16/18. Suddenly at the end of 2009 the weight just dropped off me again. Then earlier this year I gained a little weight. I seem to go in cycles.

Calla do not give up pushing for a proper answer I had to change my doctors before I got a definite answer. As for your boyfriend mine also said the same before He saw it in black and white in my rheumatologists report. Hang in there he is just struggling to accept it.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello