[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Help List - please add whatever helps you

Help List - please add whatever helps you

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Help List - please add whatever helps you

Postby fibro-lu » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:30 pm

hi,

my newest assets are
wellington socks from Wilkinson

they are not like usual socks
they are made out of fleece
and are stitched together
but the seams are outside
and they go up to my knees

bought 2 pairs (smal and large)
and wear them as bed socks
both pairs at the same time

or just when resting
it is like the snuggle blankett in boot form
:wave:
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:40 pm

They sound like something I could do with, esp when out and being walked by the doglet. Think I'll add them to the shopping list and have a look at them :clap: :clap: :clap:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Ouchy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Sorry but I cant remember what the proper name for it is but its an electric air mattress lifter thingywotsit, that lifts the top of the mattress and you up or helps you lay down
They OT i used to have organised it for me and its brilliant and saves me from loads of extra pain when trying to get up, the only niggle about it is it sounds like a hoover but it really doesnt take long to raise you up (a minute or 2) and is almost silent when lowering you.

Oh and my electric rise and recline chair is fantastic but no free loan from OT for that i am afraid, it was a long save up for purchase but well worth it
I have also found using a lightweight or travel hairdryer to dry my legs and body after a shower much less painful that struggling to dry myself with a towel
PS the air matress thingywotsit might be called Mattress Genie Bed Lift but knowing my foggy brain i could be wrong :lol:
Ouchy
UKFM Member

Postby Selkie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:23 pm

Recently my hands have gone all wibbly, but have found that permanently wearing fingerless gloves takes the pain down a little and gives me a bit of feeling back. :)

When you are doing dishes or cleaning, buy the loofah mitts you can get, it helps immensely if you have problems gripping.

Also when you buy fruit, if you have the softer nets, cut them open carefully at the top and save them til you have a bunch, after you have a few pop your soap in, turn it a few times and tie the top with a bit of string. Voila! scrubby, autosoap loofah for the shower! and because it has a string you can hang it up and not lose it so much! :)
Selkie
UKFM Member

Postby alikat1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi there!

For me, my biggest issue is getting comfortable and as pain-free as possible to (attempt) to sleep. So, bedding is a priority!

-soft pillow top mattress
-feather mattress (felt like sleeping on a cloud -however, with 2 in the bed, made a gully in the middle, and as I was up and down all the time, it always pulled over to my side -so a pain in the rear on that account)
-feather pillows (although I'm mildly allergic, I can mould them under my neck for support)
-body pillow (doubled up under my knees when on my back to take pressure off my hips, when on my side, I lie with it lenthways between my legs so it also takes pressure off my hips)
-heating pad
-ice packs
-Crocs (winter ones with fur lining) and summer ones
-Birkenstock sandals
-cuddly fleece socks that are comfy and not restrictive
-retractable walking stick -great for putting in my bag when I don't need it
-neck collar (I know doctors and physios disapprove of these -my doctor says 'whatever helps!') -I wear this when in the car to minimise jerking movements (I have had flares from going over speedbumps!)
-hand splints

And a variety of eletrical devices that do massage!
:)
alikat1
UKFM Member

Postby cambridgegirl » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:37 am

When the pain isn't too bad (unlike right now....FML), I find rubbing lavender oil into all of the sore points really helps, although it does take boat loads of the stuff ... at least you smell yummy for the boy!
cambridgegirl
UKFM Member

Postby Persephane » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi all,
I was finding sitting more and more uncomfortable, the extra 3 stone of weight doesnt help, lower back and hips just felt so bad.

So I bought a weighted excercise ball £10 from Tesco, instead of sitting on a chair i shove this against the settee which with the weight in the ball keeps it fairly steady.

The better posture and the gentle movement seems to have made quiet a difference, my hips and lower back is much more mobile, I actually did some gardening can'tremember the last time I did any.

Just a share incase it could help someone else.

Gill :-D
Persephane
UKFM Member

Postby crazycat36 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:38 pm

hi all

i no its already been mentioned but i love my sketchers and sketcher tone ups out of all the shoes ive tried these r the best priced, comfiest, and in fashion so my feet dont feel like an old grannies after all im only 37 (well nearly38). and whats more they last for ages before u need to replace them so u can build up a great slection for summer and winter. also couldnt lve without

riser/recliner chair
perch stool in kitchen
shower stool and grab rails
carter frame - frame round toinlet to gibe u handles to sit and stand without restricting who can use the toilet)
memory foam matress
body pillows (one each side of me)
matress elevator
grab rails at each side of the bed to help turning over
foam tubes on ends of pens to make it easier to grib them
grabber/reacher
kindle (lighter to hold and easier to turn pages when reading)
setting alarm on mobile for tablet times
2 hand rails to get upstairs

ok i think thats me out of things i use around the house

clothes should b light weight with elastic waist NO buttons laces or zips and easy on and off and that dont crease if ur lucky enough to hav all this in place it makes ur life a lot easier.

im now aiming for a mobility scooter but thats goin to hav to be mega saving to get the money for that but will mean i can get out the house and further than my front garden

good luck every1
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby sky 1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:45 pm

My new thing is a watch with an alarm on so i dont forget my meds at lunch time as i have it on if i am in or out of the house its great :-D
sky 1
UKFM Member

Postby tiredgirly » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:23 pm

tiredgirly
UKFM Newbie

Postby kolakube » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:08 pm

my teasmade has made a surprising difference, I can set the radio/mp3 player for an alarm, it has a nice soft lamp (bright lights urgh...in the morning... double urgh) and most importantly it makes me a cup of tea without me getting out of bed.

the timer on my heating... it definitly can not be cold when i get up.

my step-py stool.... no more stretching to reach the cupboards

heat bag/shoulder-y thingy

B12 jabs

TENS machine

:)
kolakube
UKFM Member

Postby TracyDiane » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:45 pm

I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis of the spine and I have found that Tens machine helps with the dreadful back pain. I was kindly given a Freedom tens machine, which is really used for labour pains but I have found just by attaching the electro pads on my lower back as instructed in the video which came with it. I do get some relief. Dont know if it works or helps in other areas as havent tried it anywhere other than back at the moment.
:-D
TracyDiane :-)
TracyDiane
UKFM Member

Postby Vintagepink » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:48 pm

I found Aloe Vera cream works it's like deep heat it helps a bit with the pain.
Vintagepink
UKFM Member

Help List - please add whatever helps you

Postby Mozza » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:56 pm

Flash fighters from holland & barrets still doing what they said on the tin. Xxm
Mozza
UKFM Member

Postby ellibob » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:32 pm

Hang a bag top & bottom of stairs to carry items
ellibob
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Help / Tips on Coping