[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Help List - please add whatever helps you

Help List - please add whatever helps you

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Help List - please add whatever helps you

Postby diamondintherough » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:53 pm

Marks and Spensors do a lovely range of comfortable shoes called 'foot glove'.
They have cushioning inside and mold to the shape of the feet.
When my friend first suggested them to me i was reluctant as i thought they may be old fashioned and expensive,
but i bought a pair of black pump like shoes in Sept and they look really fashionable and are sooooooo comfy!
They cost £35 but where as before i would be buying pumps from Primark every month when they quickly fell to bits, so they are definately worth paying a bit more for.
diamondintherough
UKFM Member

Postby diamondintherough » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Also Seaband accupressure bands help me with nausea. They cost me £8 from my chemist and help me when i feel sick with pain and side effects of meds.
diamondintherough
UKFM Member

Postby caltastic » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi, i am very new to all of this,posts i mean. I just wanted to recomend epsom salts to put in your bath 3 times a week. i use a big cup of it and it really helps for a little after the bath. it is soooo nice. A friend of mine has restless legs she told me bout it. and my hubbys grandad swears buy it fro everything. Its exspensive in the chemist so i got mine of ebay £25 for 25kg and i share among my friends who have various problems. when i got the bag the first time it said ferteliser on the bag i thought they had sent me the wrong thing. They hadnt Magnesium sulphate is epsom salt and apparently is the best fertaaliser you can get. I thought how good is that it helps plants to grow and helps our bodies to mend a little aswel. I was told recently that you can now get epsom salt on perscription. Gonna go to the docs nxt week to see. hope it has helped hope it all makes sense i kepp messing my writing up recently and memory is awful :crazy:
caltastic
UKFM Newbie

Postby diamondintherough » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:31 pm

Tens machines are helpful in relieving pain, i bought a portable one for £15 from my local chemist.
diamondintherough
UKFM Member

Postby diamondintherough » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:39 pm

Turn down the brightness on your computer screen if you are sensitive to light. Before I did this I wondered why my shoulders ached after just 5 mins on the computer. I now feel much better for it.
diamondintherough
UKFM Member

Postby e777 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi there,

My sis recently bought me some microwavable slippers. Essentially they're like heat packs for your feet. They're not exactly practical for walking, but bring some ease to my feet, a little bit of bliss :-D

Eileen
e777
UKFM Member

Help List - please add whatever helps you

Postby Mozza » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:14 pm

My feet have always been the most painful part of my body. Doesn't matter if i wear flats, wedges or six inch heels they are constantly painful. I have just found a pair of sandals called 'softies' in a shoe zone shop. They're quite fashionable looking and ever so comfortable and that coming from me is a tip lol. xxm
Mozza
UKFM Member

Postby lala1626 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:21 am

i borrowed a tens machine from my mum and its brilliant!! the only thing is it has 2 ports so i can have 4 of the pads dotted around wherever feels best which is good, could do with a shed load more though as i put them on a spot on my back but then another place hurts, would be fab if they did huge pads so it would cover more space,

wheat bags that you put in the microwave are good, bit of a faff to keep in the right place though but sat in an armchair with it on my back is really helpful,

curaheat heat pads are good, you can get one that has a wrap thing that goes around your stomach so its not a self adhesive one which is really good!! and they stay warm for about 12 hours,

my mum is lucky enough to have a jacuzzi bath and an infrared sauna in her bathroom (unfortunately i dont live with her anymore)
i sometimes go round and use the sauna which helps a bit but sitting still in it as its made of wood is uncomfy,

at night i lay on my side a lot so i put a pillow in between my knees so that my top leg is still straight so i dont get strain on my hips as much that seems to make me sleep slightly better as my leg isnt being stretched,

i know these things may be obvious but they help me,
xxxxx
Be nice and smile to everyone you meet.
You don't know what they are going through.
They may need that smile,
and treasure it.

Don't ask how I am unless you really want to know the answer!
lala1626
UKFM Member

Postby winnipeg » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi,
Ive been lucky enough to be able to buy an Apha stim (as100) I trialed it first for a month from Linda Horncastle, and she taught me the protocol for using it. You use the ear clips for help with insomnia,depression and anxiety, pads to place wherever you hurt (i have to chase the pain around, as it moves a lot) and the probes to use all over the body, I really have received the benefits of the alpha stim, but feel sad thats its not available on the NHS, It very expensive to buy, and the pads cost £25, which last around a month. I shall be talking to my GP about it, and maybe my local councillor, as I know that so many people like us would benefit from using the Alpha stim, its out of many peoples reach due to the cost. I still take codeine and paracetamol several times a day, but this certainly takes the edge off the pain. And the ear clips really do help to relax me.x
winnipeg
UKFM Member

Postby stage3diva » Wed May 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi just been diagnosed fibromyalgia - Have been taking Ibuprofen for 20 years for supposedly osteoarthritis in neck and shoulder!!!!. Stomach ulcers naturally have arrived, so the Ibuprofen is finished - so have been struggling to find pain control. GP suggested Buprenorphine which worked for 4 weeks now has NO affect at all. Panadol works for 2 hours, but only 8 allowed a day This made me think there is something else going on here!!!! Off to see rheumatologist privately in a few days hopefully will be given some different medication - there is a lot out there isn't there!!!!!! I have used a tens machine for several years and that helps enormously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :-D
stage3diva
UKFM Newbie

Postby fibro-lu » Sat May 26, 2012 11:52 am

all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat May 26, 2012 12:13 pm

Thanks lu, there are some useful suggestions on those linkys :clap: :clap: :clap:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby fibro-lu » Sat May 26, 2012 12:16 pm

... and there are more hidden in other toppics of this site ...
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby crazycat36 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:19 pm

dont no if anyone has stumbled accross this but my latest help with pain is a heat pad that plugs in and has different settings which has really helped me move a little easier instead of heavy meds all the time, unfortunatlly i fell over a wall last sunday and if bruised my spine and hav even worse muscle spasams in my hole bk so when i was walking round a shop i came accross a fleece heated throw which u can either sit on or cover urself with, and i have to say i wish id got one yr ago well worth the 25quid it cost me and come the winter ill never complain its cold again as there is 9 different heat settings so theres always a heat perfect for u.....this is all thanks to a good friend of mine in america who has fibro that was complaining hers had broken and i asked for more info but got to say the fleece blanket is even better than the heat pads if its more than one wee pain u hav
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby lala1626 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:22 pm

hey crazycat where did you buy the fleece throw? really interested in getting one. glad you have found something that helps you, thankyou for sharing it!!

gentle hugs
lauren xx
Be nice and smile to everyone you meet.
You don't know what they are going through.
They may need that smile,
and treasure it.

Don't ask how I am unless you really want to know the answer!
lala1626
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Help / Tips on Coping