[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Feel like I need oiling!!

Feel like I need oiling!!

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Feel like I need oiling!!

Postby JemmaB88 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any tips on feeling a bit less stiff and sore? I know that is a silly thing to say here but today I feel so stiff. Its my mums 49th Birthday today and she said 'oh I feel about 79 not 49!' I sat there and said 'I feel about 79 and I am only 22!' She said that she was sorry for being insensitive. It didn't bother me but then I realised how stiff I felt.

My neck, shoulders and back feel like they have fused! Any movement is very painful and so stiff. I am off to the doc tomorrow so I will mention it to her. I am going to ask if she thinks it is wise to put me on some anti-d's to see if it helps. I am only on anti-spasmodics for my IBS. They wanted me to have councelling for it but I don't really want to drag up the pooey past again. It has happened, not helped with FMS but it happened and its over. Everything is better now, apart from me. Not fair really. Lol.

Anyway, any tips of feeling less like I might shatter if someone tapped me? I had a nice bubbly bath this morning and I have a wheat bag, but not really helping. I was thinking more oral meds for it, like omega 3 or something. Cod liver oil sets my IBS off (I think its the capsule itself rather than the oil) so I don't want to take that. My IBS is playing me up big time at the moment anyway.

Cheers guys, hope we are all having one of our better days.
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Re: Feel like I need oiling!!

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:12 pm

When you see your GP, you could ask if something like physio or hydrotherapy is available and might be of help to you Jemma. There have been people who have found gentle stretches have help with stiffness.

Are you thinking of the anti-ds that are used to help with pain and sleep in FM, such as amitriptyline :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: Where the counselling is concerned, it may be of help, so might be worth having a go with it. It's not always about what has happened in the past, unless it is something that is still causing you worries and problems. It can help with how you look and think of things were FM is concerned. rather that approaching something in the way you did pre-FM, it can help you find ways to approach them in a more suitable way for how things are now.

You really need to ask your GP about supplements such as omega 3 during your appt as there could be possible interactions if you are prescribed anything else.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:29 pm

I agree with Flup Jemma :fingerscrossed: at the docs and I hope they can offer you some help :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby JemmaB88 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:09 am

Hi guys.

I was thinking of amitriptyline for the pain relief and sleep. My GP had suggested it before I was the Rhumy but we both agreed to see what he thought before I went on to it. I know it can take a few weeks to take effect so I won't be jumping up and down (I wish I could!) when it doesn't work after a few days.

I try to stretch every morning before I head out to check on my horse. When I do get to the field, I have to walk to the top, which is a slight hill and take his rugs off and feed him so I am getting exersise. Also walking my dog every morning helps with the exersise, but I just seem to have no range of movement in my shoulders. One has been stabalised so I will never get the ROM back in that, but the other one is worse!

I have an appt at 9.10 so I will menton all these things to her. She is very understanding about it all and she does try to help rather that blowing me off about it all the time like one GP there.

Update later :)
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Postby JemmaB88 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:19 am

So, update..

On 10mg amitriptyline once a day before bed. She was happy for me to try these as she agreed that talking about the possible cause may well make things worse. If I am happy that I have moved on then this is worth a try. She did suggest a councellor to help with adjusting my lifestyle to help. Is the CBT??

I will take the first tablet tonight and I have to go back in about 4 weeks time for an update and to get more tabs. Possibly a higher strength, but we need to see how I go. I feel happy that someone has listened to what I want and agreed for a change!
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:15 pm

The amis can take 2 to 4 weeks to get into your system and start working fully, altho there are folks on here who have said from night 1 they were making a difference to them :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: You may also find you need to tweak the time you take them as, for some, they make a difference to falling asleep when taken just before bedtime, whilst others have found they need to take them an hour or 2 before they go to bed. Just some little things to bear in mind for you to get the best out of them :D :D

Counselling and CBT are 2 different types of talking therapies. Counselling involves talking in confidence to a counsellor about how you feel about yourself and your situation, with the counsellor supporting you and offering practical advice on how things may be changed/improved. CBT is aimed at helping you to think less negatively, so instead of feeling hopeless and depressed, you can cope better, and maybe even start to enjoy situations.

In CBT, you set goals with the help of the therapist, and carry out tasks between sessions. It is rather structured and ordered, which can suit some people, and can be helpful. I posted a topic "Problem Solving" from my own experiences with CBT based therapy, and even now I use it, 3 years after finishing my sessions.

Both counselling and CBT deal with situations in the present/now more than past events and incidents.

I've had both, and found them both helpful. The order structure of CBT was right for me, as pre-FM I was incredibly organised and ordered in everything I did. The therapy I had wasn't just CBT tho, as I had other issues that I needed help with and CBT wasn't the right approach for them.

You've nothing to lose in giving counselling a go, it could help you with accepting how life has changed due to FM :cup1: :cup1: :cup1:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby animalhouse » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:37 am

i am taking dosulepin at night a couple of hours before for sleeping and that is an anti d i believe.

the best thing i have found to help with stiffness and pain is hyrdotherapy. i am on my 5 th appointment this week,
week 1 i was exhausted after doing 4 x 6 exercises.
week 2 felt better and agreed he could up my exercise next week
week 3 added another exercise felt terrible again
week 4 felt good again, you feel like lead after

i still have to come home and rest for the rest of the day as i do with any exercise or exertion, but i go swimming sometimes as well in week with oh so i have been able to build up and do some of the exercises then as well and feel it is making a diference to my stiffness.
i am just very tired the next day so it is a balance as to is it worth it if all my energy is going on this little bit of exercise.

i have also been concerned about my weight and tried to do 1/2 exercise every day but that went by the by after day 4. and amount of pain it caused. i would be bounching on my gym ball to the wii jog programme :D :D :D

i found the swiimming/dydro to be the best as you do feel it less on the joints.
:chicken-dance: :chicken-dance:
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Return to Help / Tips on Coping