[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Walking sticks ...

Walking sticks ...

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Walking sticks ...

Postby Helen Marie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Hi All

I am going through a really bad time at the moment, back ache (very lower) pains and hot feeling down one leg ... leading to neck and shoulder tension and head ache. Pins and needles, eyes feel like they are being pushed out, prickly skin blah blah ...

Last night I took 2 magnesium tablets and one diclofenac. which promptly sent me into a 12 hour sleep. Today i feel in a lot of pain, very tired and groggy. I am clutching at things to hold onto when i walk, either to hold me up or keep my balance. My pain clinic appt is in 3 weeks ...but its already been cancelled 5 times (??) do i wait for then, see the doc or just go to Argos to buy a couple of sticks to help me for now?

I dont tolerate meds very well at all, my daily meds are just gabapentin ... which out of desperation I am thinking of not taking today!! The docs just tend to prescribe something new ... I dont know what else I expect ... Im feeling negative i guess.

Back pain never has been investigated, to be honest its never been that bad until this year. MRI of neck and head clear .. its always been my neck trigger. Back ... if i can stretch out of my hips, it feels better, but i cant hold the position. standing straight and sitting is painfull, leaning forward is less so. Feels like something in my lower back is gripping, squashing or tightening.

Sorry its a bit rambly, I have cried buckets this morning (unusual for me), am feeling so low, Im 41, and cant stand to think i coud have another 41 years of pain.

Sorry again. Its advice on sticks I was after, i got a bit carried away ..
after 9 years of FM .... you'd think I would have the hang of it by now :s
Helen Marie
UKFM Member

Re: Walking sticks ...

Postby shazq » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi Helen

I went and brought a walking stick to help with my balance as i was getting wobbly on my feet and then started to have some falls.
I brought an adjustable stick as it also folded up, at first i only used it when i knew i was going to be out for longer than 1/2 hour.

I have to use it all the time now as my mobility has got much worse, the stick has saved me from falling a few times. :clap: :clap:

My GP is happy for me to use it. I keep one in the car and one in the house.

I manage fine with just the one stick but know some people like to use crutches.
If you feel you need something to help with your balance and you are scared of falling then i would go for it, just mention it to your gp on your next visit. :hugs:

For your back pain have you tried a Tens machine?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Azz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:43 pm

If you feel they will help then go for it. :) I have a stick but can't use it as it hurts my arm muscles :(
Hannah xx

To live life to the full, is to be true to myself. By being true to myself I live life to the full :)
Azz
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:51 pm

I have both a stick and crutches, ask for a referral to OT you can get the aids from them but in the mean time get some from argos, boots etc. I think if you have something to help, it gives you more confidence and that makes you feel better so........ :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Jan42 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:59 am

Hi Helen :wave:
I got my walking stick from halfords its a collapsible one so if I don't need it I can pop it in my bag. It was on sale for £5 down form £7.99 I think :crazy:
Anyway, as far as using one goes, I wish I had got one 2yrs ago. It definitely helps me, mostly with balance, and on bad days it supports me around the house too.
Before buying, I borrowed one, if you know someone you can borrow from to try it out first may be an idea if you're unsure?
:dunno: :grouphug:
try to have a smile on my face even if I'm not smiling on the inside
Jan42
UKFM Member

Postby Helen Marie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:26 am

Hi all, thanks for your replies. I have just ordered a massage cushion and am seriously contemplating the sticks. my gp advised me against getting a neck collar six yrs ago as he said i would get weaker by using it. So i was little worried about the sticks ... Even though i can only drive with a wheat bag around my neck for support anyway. I think its worth a few pounds to have the reassurance when things are flaring.

My mind is coping better today .. Just waiting for the body to catch on.

Thanks again x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
after 9 years of FM .... you'd think I would have the hang of it by now :s
Helen Marie
UKFM Member

Postby nicC » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:47 am

I started off with a collapsable stick but found that it made my arm and shoulder pain worse, so I bought some elbow crutches which are both more stable and more comfortable. I hated having to rely on any stick at first but am now lost without them.
nicC
UKFM Newbie

Postby fredellarby » Mon May 07, 2012 3:58 am

I like a cane. it helps with balance and sore (everything) when I walk. I like solid canes and they can easily be adjusted to length by cutting them down.
Most cheaper wood canes come with the traditional curved top which will hurt after a while. The same goes for most decorative top canes.
Try for an ergonomic top or a derby handle. A round ball is good for standing but doesn't swing well when you walk.
fredellarby
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping