[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - I'm heading to a bad place

I'm heading to a bad place

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: I'm heading to a bad place

Postby Selkie » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:19 pm

Mollie.

Any time you start getting down, remember this. You survived, and are still surviving.

Anyone who has never been through depression wouldn't know how important this really is. It means you are an extremely strong person. Stronger than those who haven't had to survive their own body rebelling against them in so many ways. Stronger then the people who don't understand and make no effort to understand, and stronger then the GP who thinks he knows best for you.

People, including my family, sometimes mention to me that they think i have wasted my life, that i've failed or given in, some make references that they pay taxes to support my lazy lifestyle, and shouldn't i be in work by now?
When they ask what i think i have achieved i say "i've survived" and i smile at them, because they have no idea what a struggle it was to do that, and i hope they will never have to.

I didn't find talking therapies all that helpful, but i did find they hypnotherapy cd's that you can get that teach deep relaxation very good! so good that i am off the meds and thankfully coping. The Paul McKenna one is exceptionally good. :)

Any time you feel your confidence slipping, say in your head "i'm stronger than them" and keep saying it until you believe it! Simply because you are.

*hugs*
Selkie
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:40 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby fibro-lu » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:23 pm

I do agree with denys and flupp
it's utter nonsense that you can't be on talking therapy whilest on anti-ds
both are treatments that might help you
and they can be used on its own or parallel

when I went for CBT few years ago I was on anti-ds
(really annoys me how much crap we have to take (and I don't mean the meds) I mean the comments/advise from some folks)
:blowkiss:
lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby fredellarby » Sat May 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Don't give up.
Many of us feel less than worth it at times.
There are many therapies available. Try them all. Try as many at a time as you can fit in.

Meds for depression don't always work and they often lose their effectiveness quickly. I have often switched right away.
The other mistake can be assuming it's depression. I took meds for depression for years with minimal effect. It was only an interested GP that found a diagnosis of Type II Bipolar. It's hard to spot because it doesn't show the highs of norman Bipolar. Mine was down or anger/frustration. The modified meds helped a lot.
fredellarby
UKFM Member

Postby grannygreenwitch » Sat May 05, 2012 10:34 pm

:-) I also suffered from severe depression for many years before I got fibro, I became agoraphobic & couldn't find anyway out of it - but after about 15years shut away from the world I found a strength that I didn't know I had, but coping with fibro & many other problems has brought my depression back with a vengeance! Having spent so many years drugged to the brim with anti depressants, I've chosen to do things differently now. I used to think that I was rubbish, not worthy of peoples time,care or consideration but now I realise that it was the depression clouding my judgement. I wouldn't ever make a fuss, not even to the GP. It took a mini stroke & marriage crisis to make me face who / what I really am. I didn't know it at the time but the reason that the anti depressants didn't help me was because I NEEDED to express all the hurt that I'd hidden for so long, being the coper in the family, there had never been a chance to say 'what about me?'
To cut a VERY long story short, I realised that I HAD to make my GP realise how unhappy & desperate I was but knew that I'd end up apologising for wasting the GPs' time & making light of my problems so I wrote him a very long, totally honest letter. It worked! He got me help both for my depression & my fibro. He got me a place at a rethink womens group, where I learnt to express my feelings in a safe, supportive way. Those women have become close friends who understand how I feel. However the most important thing that they gave me was self esteem & confidence. However, last year I had a really bad period, so once again I wrote to my doctor who arranged for me to have CBT. I am nearing the end of my sessions, but I have learnt so much about myself & why I allowed myself to be so unfairly treated.
For ME the talking therapy was the way forward, so my advise is push,push,push for therapy. Maybe your GP doesn't realise how awful you feel, so find a way of telling him/her. You are worth helping,you are need to realise that. It may be hard to make your needs felt but find the courage to insist on the therapy that you so badly need.
I really hope that you manage to get help, good luck - I'll be rooting for you :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
grannygreenwitch
UKFM Newbie

Previous

Return to Help / Tips on Coping