[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Fibro and colds/flu??

Fibro and colds/flu??

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro and colds/flu??

Postby JemmaB88 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:41 pm

Evening all.

I am feeling sooooo ill. I had a sore throat yesterday morning when I woke up. I went to work at 12 and finished at 5.30, by which time I was feeling pretty sick. I had a banging headache, hot and clammy, very sore throat, dry cough, extremely runny nose (hideously embarrasing when working on a customer service desk at a homewear store) and more achey than usual. Feel even worse today. Hardly slept for coughing and then I have just lay on the sofa with the dog and a box of tissues.

I have looked up my symptoms and looks like the beginings of flu, seeing as it came on so quickly. However, as I am so sensitive to everything else, I thought it could just be a cold and my fibro is making it seem worse. I have eaten some honey on toast and I will have some plain pasta for tea. No point cooking anything yummy, I can't taste or smell it! I don't really want to eat either, I feel really sick.

Has anyone else had a cold since developing fibro? I haven't had a proper cold in several years. Very lucky. I am taking lemsip every 4 hours which don't seem to be helping.

I have work at 8 tomorrow and I already know it's going to be rubbish.

Any advice would be great.

x
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Re: Fibro and colds/flu??

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Cold/fluey type symptoms are often part of FM. For me they often appear before the start of things really flaring up :facepalm: :facepalm:

Having an actual cold or flu, for me they have got worse over time :shock: :shock: :shock: Both in intensity and length. When I get one, it completely wipes me out, often bringing a flare along for the ride as well :? :? :?

I've never found much things like lemsip make much difference, and was actually told to avoid things containing decongestants as they can supposedly aggravate FM symptoms, which made a lot of sense as they've always made me feel worse. Instead it's a case of mixing up a mug of hot water with a lemon squeezed and dropped in it along with some honey. It doesn't make it go any faster, but the natural antiseptic in the honey can help with easing a sore throat.

The best thing you can do is just make yourself as comfy as you can and let it run it's course. If it seems to be lingering around too long, or other things are worsening, get in touch with your GP to make sure there isn't anything else causing the problem.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby MollieH » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:08 pm

I used to get colds fairly frequently as a kid/teenager because I was always active and outside a lot, so I guess exposed to a lot of germs, but it never kept me off school/out of work - self help with over the counter treatment seemed to have me fine in a week or so.

Since FM however, it's a wildly different story. The sniffles becomes a heavy head and my limbs turn to stone. I'm immobilised for days at a time, and it's been that way EVERY time I have caught a virus. Either way, the only way I've found to deal with it is to rest, drink a lot of fluids and ride it out - eventually it goes into hiding.

Terribly frustrating though, I feel your pain *hugs*
MollieH
UKFM Member

Postby disco dancing kar » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi :wave: I am sat here with a stinker at the moment.I was use to getting a cold every other week,which soon gets you down.I have found having my flue jab,each year now helps a lot more,you still get a lot more colds than everyone else,but i think that is down to are immune systems.I usually got a red nose (good if you are a raindeer) and feel rubbish for a few days,but keep warm,rest and it will soon go.kar.
disco dancing kar
UKFM Member

Postby Lubilou » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:43 am

I take this - http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CCkQ8wIwAA

When i start feeling a 'cold/flu' coming on. It's given me the best start to heading off any infection actually including thrush. Cheap too!
Lubilou
UKFM Member

Postby karma » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:44 pm

Have you tried Manuka honey? i find it helpful for sore throats etc, plus it is yummy!

Postby JemmaB88 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:10 pm

Evening guys,

Well I am still ill. Throat is killing me and have this cough that makes me sound like a heavy smoker. The only thing I have found to work is honey and lemon in hot water, as some of you suggested. Paracetamol and lots of water. Appetite is back but I still feel rough and snotty. Throat is the worst tough, and the cough.

I tried to get in to see a doctor, any doctor, not just my own and the receptionist half laughed and said 'no chance!'. 2 docs of sick and one that was about to leave. Its a good job its not desperate. I just said not to worry and I will see how I get on.

Oh well.

Thanks for the replies :)
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:18 pm

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: its nearly over :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Nellyphant » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Feel better soon. I could've written the same post, I'm feeling the same way.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby fredellarby » Tue May 08, 2012 1:12 am

Sorry for how you feel.
I don't seem to actually get sick as often, on the other hand, when people ask what FM feels like, I say it's a lot like the flu.

When I do get sick, it seems that much worse.
fredellarby
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue May 08, 2012 12:09 pm

fredellarby, are you an exponent of necrobumping???

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Demi_Kitten » Wed May 09, 2012 9:25 pm

I find when I get a cold/flu it makes my joints hurt more, or because I feel so ill I just am more aware of the pain, not sure really.

I have a microwave sheep I warm up and put on my neck which helps loosen it, stiff necks lead to headaches in my case and I hate relying too much on ibuprofen and other tablets.

I suggest wrapping up warm and drink lots of fluids and I hope you feel better soon.
Demi_Kitten
UKFM Newbie

Return to Help / Tips on Coping