[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Sleep...and the lack thereof...

Sleep...and the lack thereof...

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sleep...and the lack thereof...

Postby alikat1 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Hello all.

Well, I am at my wit's end...nothing new, but as I am a newbie here, any advice would be most welcome.

I am struggling to sleep...a combo of pain and the inability to relax. My doctor has tried me on numerous sleep meds/relaxants (ie valium) -none have helped.

Last night I was a walking pharmacy...(you know when desperation overrides common sense?) Before bed I took 2 co-codemol, 2 tramadol, stemetil (my tum gets upset with codeine), diclofenac, atarax (sometimes helps me to sleep) and some melatonin. No sleep (by rights I should be a zombie...but these pills are just not knocking me out at all!

After not sleeping I got up and had a few slurps of Night Nurse!

I also downloaded an app for my phone called Sleepbot...and used it last night...now I KNOW that it's a fact of not sleeping...I tracked being up 14x! I slept a total of 2hrs and 23minutes!

I also use heat and icepacks for my neck (spondylosis).

I had 3 baths...

The thing is -this is not a rare occurance -it is almost every night...eventually I get so exhausted I will end up crashing for almost a whole day every 2 weeks.

I have stopped driving because my concentration is out the window together with fibrofog.

So! Any thoughts/advice etc would be most appreciated. I am not overdosing with meds..but get to the point that I am overmedicating (and by then don't care -as bad as it sounds, I just pray it will knock me out!)

Heeelllppp!

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Tapatalk
alikat1
UKFM Member

Re: Sleep...and the lack thereof...

Postby cambridgegirl » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:20 pm

I've also been recently diagnosed - been on a cocktail of painkillers and sleeping tablets. Nothing has yet worked.

I wouldn't worry about taking alot of different medications, providing your painkillers are all from different groups you won't do any harm in the short term. I often do the same.

You are not alone in this - my BF broke up with me at 3am this morning because the light from my phone woke him up... I had yet to get any sleep, he'd had a good 5 hours! (Friends again now!).

Is it worse when your stressed? Have you tried either talking to a loved one/writing down all of your unfinished business, worries, thoughts, etc so that you can try and go to bed with a relaxed mind?

I also force myself to keep to the same schedule - alarm always goes off at 8 and I get up by half past, regardless of how much sleep I've gotten. I'm hoping my body clock will eventually kick in! (If I'm really tired I'll nap in the afternoon).

I can't find a medicine that has provided any relief, but if this changes I'll let you know!

Hope its better for you this evening my love xx
cambridgegirl
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:01 am

Alyssa, I know all too well what it's like to be desperate for sleep and to throw everything possible at the problem to try and get some relief. However, please be very careful when taking such a wide variety meds/treatments as it can increase the risk of an interaction. It's always best to speak to a pharmacist or GP to make sure that the combo you take won't cause you any problems.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Tricia_TD » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:21 pm

I have, on occasion, taken similar meds to you, to try and help me get some decent sleep. Like you, it doesn't work, so now I don't even try it, as there's no point.

What I tend to do now is, once I know that hubby is asleep, use my phone (on silent, just in case, and under the duvet to stop the light showing) to go on Twitter. My first tweet states that I can't sleep, and that usually generates a reply from someone. After an hour or two I start to feel sleepy, so I put my phone away. I find that I do get some sleep after that.

I don't know if it's due to talking about not being able to sleep (venting!), or the brain activity making me tired, but in the wee small hours I don't really care - it works!

It might not work for anyone else, but it's worth a try.

Tricia
Endometriosis ~ Depression ~ Anxiety ~ Sleep Apnoea ~ Fibromyalgia

Worldwide Endometriosis Support Forum
Tricia_TD
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:08 pm

It's definitely worth trying things Tricia :clap: :clap: Thank you for sharing your tip, it could be of help to others :wave: :wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:20 pm

I agree with Fluppy that sort of cocktail is very definitely a :nono: :nono: you will make yourself ill or worse try trica's tip instead and if you still cant get any relief ask your doc to refer you to a sleep clinic
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby alikat1 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks all for replying!

I tend to read, or have a hot bath to relax. My neck feels like you can bounce things off of it, it is soo tight!

Nice to know I'm not the only one! :)

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Tapatalk
alikat1
UKFM Member

Postby KTN86 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:20 pm

I ended up getting a puzzle book to keep by the bed, that way when I can't sleep I try to do a crossword etc and soon find I can barely keep my eyes open :-)
Well this is a magical trip to the wrong side of the wardrobe.....
KTN86
UKFM Member

Postby Fibrowarrior » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:56 pm

hi,

I have had sleep issues ever for the last two years and its not always the pain, its as you say, the inability to relax. I am on Amitriptyline... which is meant to relax muscles. The first time I ever took it (10mg) it knocked me out. Since then, I am on between 50 and 75 mg depending on what tablet packs they subscribe me and it doesn't work anymore!! However, my advice would be to ask your doctor to try you on these and see how you get on... Medications suit certain people where as others do not. Good luck!
Fibrowarrior
UKFM Newbie

Return to Help / Tips on Coping