[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - talk about makin money from the sick

talk about makin money from the sick

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

talk about makin money from the sick

Postby newey » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Iv been lookin online searchin 4 accessories for my powerchair which I wanna add I got for the bargin price of £200 quid they normally cost £700 upwards.it needed new wheels and tires but they only cost £90 so still under £300 but after lookin at things like a waterproff cover and bag etc I just can't believe they can charge so much 4 stuff that is essental 2 us.I'm always lookin for a bargin and will search everythin b4 I buy anythin lol I'm lookin 4 a rollater at present but I'm only 32 and want a good lookin one which iv found but even that they askin £85 and I just can't afford it.
I had been savin since november for a storage unit for my powerchair downstairs as I live in a flat I had £100 and on tuesday I went in the local shop and found a sign for the one iv been savin for sayin reduced from £149 down to £99.99 when I went 2 pay the girl said no its avtually wrong and a old price which was not ment 2 b there BUT she sold me it for the lower price I was so happy and could of hugged her
sorry went on a little xx
newey
UKFM Member

Re: talk about makin money from the sick

Postby shazq » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi
:shock: Glad they let you have it for the price that was stated. :-D
accessories do add up its shocking the prices they charge. :yikes:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Adele » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:20 pm

there are pre-loved disability aids websites, freecycle/freegle and good old e-bay. i bought my powerchair from trade-it and they have accessories on their site. i know what you mean though - £150 plus for a head rest! my chair is very old and not suitable for my needs but i am as yet undecided between "pimping my ride" or saving up for a better one.

the red cross lend out disability aids. i went to collect an item and found out that they sell some as well at low prices. they had a really funky silver rollator that i wish i'd bought now. i'm lucky that my hospital physio gave me a brand new rollator to keep.

good luck finding what you need, Adele
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby crazycat36 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:19 pm

im saving up for a mobility scooter for round the house garden and needs to go into car for goin shoppin etc. but there is no way i can afford the prices they ask for them at the moment and ive been looking for second hand one instead but finding not many come on the market for the sort of price i can afford in my area ive decided there all greedy in my neck of the woods lol, anyway like urself at 38 its important to me that it looks good aswell also my kids said they dont want me to hav an old granny colour i did point out to them that there gran is fitter than me and doesnt need a scooter and she is 74 and still a spring chicken all b it she is slowing down and does hav osteoporosis.

i think its a disgrace the price of all disabled things ive bought a lot myself but being a single parent on benefits is hard goin and i had to get some of my stuff put in by ocupational health and she agrees that i need the scooter for getting about but all she could give me was a delta walker due to cut bks theres a lot that she can no longer supply as 2yrs ago i was being offered a stair lift and a rollator neither of which i felt i needed then but i did get another banister put on my stairs now that i desperatlly need more i cant get a stair lift cause i dont use a wheelchair even though the reason i want a mobility scooter is that an electric chair costs even more so going for cheaper option eventually. if u hav a disability it shouldnt b down to cost it should b down to needs and love to slap the folk that make and sell mobility stuff as its well overpriced nobody wants to hav to use these things yet thousands do so why cant the prices come down more.

sorry got side tracked and went on a bit and now havent aclue what set me off got to love fibro fog lol
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:03 pm

it takes some detective work but there are charities to help. the ones i have used wouldn't be any use as there are local to where i live. i was given information on some of the charities by the GUIDE and PALS service at my local big hospital. i also researched online googling "my county (as appropriate) and diability charity" or "disability funding" etc.

i worked hard for years raising money for charity and it can feel strange to take from a charity but that is what they are there for. keep looking online for a 2nd hand scooter/chair as they do come up but obviously go quickly. it takes time and patience but being ill you get used to waiting for things and having to be patient.

i got my first scooter off of freecycle. it is not really suitable for my needs but is my back up for when my chair gets sick. xxx
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby newey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:11 am

I managed to fins a electric wheelchair which looks good aswel in black and folds away
Doesn't take up much space very simular to the one I got and its 799.99 which is stilll a lot
But loads cheaper then iv seen I was lucky to get mine at the price I did I can try add a link
To it I dunno where u r I'm in uk x
newey
UKFM Member

Postby ITbird » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi,

Keep looking on ebay and other sites. I found an electric powerchair only a few years old and Excellent condition for £200 on ebay.

It was a family selling their fathers mobility aids after he moved in to a care home.

Just include the word powerchair in your searches as well as scooters etc. Mine foldsbup up for the car and whizzes round the house well as it is so compact. It also does the shopping and school run fine too!

Good luck!
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Fletch x
ITbird
UKFM Member

Postby crazycat36 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:44 pm

thanks for the advice on where to look for cheap aids still spending most datys trawling through web sites and wishing i had money to get one but im determind to get one very soon so ill keep looking till i find something suitable as i refuse to hav another summer of doin nothing its bad enough not being able to get around in the winter but think ill go stir crazy if i havent found one by the time the nice british summer arrives lol.

Ive also told my kids that until i get some sort of scooter/chair then there will b no treats as in the long run they will benefit from me being able to go out and about more.
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:20 pm

I agree the cost of mobility aids is horrendous. I have planned to buy two new walking sticks in order that my hands are supported more and hurt less. Their cost is extremely high. I also have to get my late mothers mobility scooter working for my father (which means a new battery I think), something that's going to cost a considerable amount. Really it is a crime the amount they charge us for them.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping