[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hydrotherapy

Hydrotherapy

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hydrotherapy

Postby Matty » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi guys/girls,

Has anyone on here had any Hydrotherapy treatment before? I am starting tomorrow and would just like to know a little bit about it really.

Hope everyone is having a good day :)

Matt
Matty
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hydrotherapy

Postby shazq » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi
I have never tried it before but only because i dont have a pool in my area.

There are a few people on here that go so i am sure they will come along and help.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ldyalb » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:16 pm

I had Hydrotherapy from June - September last year. I highly recommend it. I basically did a series of exercises, my Physiotherapist had referred me for it and was based in the same hospital so my Hydrotherapist knew my main problems were balance and tight hamstrings. So we did things to help that.

The exercises:
- 1 was where I lay on a sort of chair/stretcher attached to the edges of the pool, wearing flippers. I had to kick my legs up and down but not let them leave the water
- for another I sat on the chair and kicked my legs back and forth as though on a swing
- I had to do a series of exercises on a wobble board on the floor of the pool. I had to stand on it and keep it still i.e. not letting the sides touch the floor and then I had to do the same whilst bending down. And then the same again, but only standing on one leg
- I had another one where she put an armband on my ankle and I stood on the steps into the pool, kept the leg with the armband outstretched and bent up and down on the other leg, leaving the armbanded leg perfectly still

The therapist will discuss your problems with you and tailor the exercises based on that. But the above gives an example of the sorts of things they do. Others in the pool at the same time as me were doing different things.

It's good fun, much easier to do the exercises compared to Physio because the water is so lovely and warm. It's like a cross between a bath and a swimming pool :-)
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Matty » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Ldyalb, that sounds similar to me, I have very tight legs and a lot of stiffness in my back/neck too.

I'm hoping that tomorrow will be of benefit and that I can progress on from it. Was it weekly you went?

Matt
Matty
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ldyalb » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:45 pm

I went fortnightly most of the time as I had a job which started the day my first session was meant to take place. But once I left work I went weekly for the last few weeks before I moved away from the area.

Sometimes it was every 3 weeks depending on work meetings, how busy my therapist was etc.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby animalhouse » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:07 am

i went last year for a course of 8 sessions i think it was.

i was referred becasue of my back and did one scalled "spiderman" where you hold onto the wall with your hands and climb up the wall with your feet, then down to the floor, and backwards along a bit of pool floor. this weas really good at loosening my bakc up.

went weakly, don;t be put off by the amount of elder people there, i thought it was going to be easy and was absolutely shattered and in agony after it, so if they tell you to only do 5,8,10 - only do that ass you feel it afterwards.

it is reallly nice though, my physio is hopefully referring me again for another batch to try and build up my core strength and thighs.

take care. :-) :-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Return to Help / Tips on Coping