moving around

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

moving around

Postby buxbunny » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:29 pm

Fibro is literally taken me over. 90% of my days are spent in bed although not sleeping. Recently had car accident hit in back and car is right off.My pysio has said option of mobility scouter but doesn't want to make me less "able". I'm only 22 and i think i would die of embarrassment if i had to use it. I'm completely reluctant to leave the house although i have uni i have missed about 13 weeks. My journey very long and consists everything short of a plane to get in. There no parking available as i used to car even for short 2 mins journey. I struggle standing and walking and longer up more pain and each fuels the pain fire. Any recommendations on apparatice and ways you've coped with the greatt outdoors.
Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.
buxbunny
UKFM Member

Re: moving around

Postby Adele » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:42 pm

hi. have you heard of the disabled students allowance. if you check out the link below you will see that there is plenty of money available to help you, perhaps with a taxi. also email student support services and see what they can provide practically and financially.

staying in bed all the time is going to make your muscles waste. i am also guilty of doing the same. the district nurse who i'm under has made it very clear, even phoning me to check, that i spend at least a couple of hours a day in an armchair. i have been obeying.

the link is: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... G_10034898
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby buxbunny » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:14 pm

i have applied for dsa and it is currently being processed unfortunately my taxi service is limited. i'm to far from uni so offer a taxi to train station which only cuts out bus and tram leaving me with train and tube.

I know what you mean about moving round but i feel cold in the house with heating on. Someone thought it be a bright idea to put all radiators under windows so i can not sit near them as draft cold air from windows (still need figure out why!).

I realised i have total depedancy on car but every time snows something bad happens. (4 cars 2 years)

I need find some aids as pysio dont really offer anything till bring it up. I was thinking crutches but don't know pain probably amplify hands and arms.
Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.
buxbunny
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:30 am

Hi buxbunny, don't be ashamed to use any mobility aids that you are offered, the physios recommend them for a reason!!!! I am 31 and must confess to thinking like you until last year, I got to a point where I could hardly walk last year and would gladly have used anything I could to get around. Are you in london? If so being disabled you can get your freedom pass? Elsewhere in the country you can get a free bus pass. I don't know about crutches, haven't used them in years, but I know that going between one and two sticks helps me remarkably, there's hardly a day I go out without atleast one stick now. If you go for the sticks option, ask your physio to let you try all the types of stick there is available as some are more uncomfortable than others. As for crutches I don't know if Britain has the under arm crutches as opposed to the half arm ones? MAybe that's something to find out, and possibly try.

I will emphasize what Adele has said about exercise! It is crucial!!! I have been guilty of spending all my time on the sofa in front of the telly last week (only last week when we had snow here, I promise!!!) and when I went round to get a portion of chips my legs told me off for it! Staying in bed will only make the problems worse as it enforces the brains idea of not being able, and also lets the muscles waste. You are too young yet to do that to your self, please do get out of bed and if nothing else walk around the house a bit (even if only doing a few laps when you get up to get your food, it will pay in the long run. When you get out of bed lean on furniture to get around if you have to, it does amazingly keep you up (I know I often find myself leaning on the furniture when I have my bad turns - I refuse to use a stick in the house, despite needing one more often than not).

I too have the problems with not being able to cuddle up to the radiators as they are under the window (or also in my case behind furniture), don't let that be an excuse not to get out of bed even if only for a short while.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:57 pm

hydrotherapy is a great way to get moving again, ask your physio about it. most of what i did was just walking with a physio holding both my hands and then progressing to side stepping, again holding hands. you can ask your GP to approve you for hospital transport so that you are driven there and back. if that is not available you can take taxis, must keep the receipts, and claim the money back using a HC5 form available from job centres and some hospitals.

you could put up a sign at uni to see if anyone wants to carshare for petrol money. :-? currently out of ideas due to bad pain, i'll keep thinking though xxx
Adele
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping